2005 toyota highlander yes or no? - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Marshall
Trailer: Hoping to get one for my 50th bday
Pennsylvania
2005 toyota highlander yes or no?

hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and website. My wife and I would like to get into camping soon. We have a 2005 toyota highlander 4x4 v6 3.3. Are any of you on here highlander owners? I'd like to know what kind of tt could it pull. My wife's the only driver as I'm sight impaired. Having a second vehicle just to tie a camper doesn't make sense to me. I'm not into pop ups stayed in one a couple of times with my brother I laws family. They're nice but I like something solid more privacy. I love the idea of these fiberglass campers. The egg especially no propane no leaks to try and see etc. so can a highlander like mine pull an egg loaded? If so can it pull it comfortably no strain on the transmission or engine? I f it can what type of hitch will I need? Thanks everyone
Marshallpianotech

Old 05-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #2

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
We pull a 17 foot escape (1900#dry) with our rav 4 with a 3.5 liter and it is well matched. We use an equalizer hitch as well and have an electric brake controller

You should have a similar towing capcity (3500#) with the highlander V6 but check your manual.

i am sure others will chime in here but i would stick to something under 2000# dry (like the escape 17 or maybe a trillium 4500)

Old 05-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
As mentioned above, the first thing you have to do is look in your owners manual and find out what the towing and hitch weight limits are for your specific vehicle.

Similar vehicles MAY be close, but we're not playing horseshoes, or throwing hand grenades here, so "Close" doesn't count. There are examples in some makes where identical appearing vehicles, with identical drive lines, can vary by over 250% from one to another. If you are unsure, contact Toyota customer service with your VIN and ask them.

Now, about "Privacy". Unless you are limiting yourself to FGRV's with a bathroom, privacy and FGRV's are pretty much mutually exclusive terms.

Anyway, get back to us with those weight numbers, and maybe a budget range, and you will get lots of answers.

BTW: "Egg" is a generic term for most small FGRV's hereabouts. Are you talking about a specific make, like the EggCamper?
Old 05-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Name: Gayle
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper #85
Midwest
I tow with a 2008 Toyota Highlander. It is 2 wheel drive with a V-6 engine with a 5000 lb tow package. I tow an EggCamper that probably weighs about 2500 pounds.
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #5
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
The Highlanders are a nice reliable SUV. It appears the tow rating is a modest 3,500lbs with the 3.3. It has 240HP. The 1,700lb payload is impressive too, higher than many 1/2 ton pickup trucks. Connected optimally you should have no problem towing a fiberglass egg.

As a comparison we towed our 23' Airstream with a similar vehicle, a 1993 Nissan mini van that had a 3.0/150HP. No problem.

Highlander specs.... 2005 Toyota Highlander V6 4dr SUV 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic Features and Specs
Old 05-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #6

California
The great thing about the internet is that you can find exactly what you think you wanted, and still not get what you really wanted.....

This site states 2000lbs for the 2005 Highlander UNLESS it has the towing prep package which seems to include parts that yours may or may not have.

2005 Toyota Highlander Highlights

And, BTW: A "Tricked out for towing an Airstream" 1993 Nissan mini-van is nothing like your vehicle and should not be used for a comparison as to what your vehicle might be able to tow.

Again, consult the owners manual for your vehicle and, if necessary, request a "Build Sheet" from Toyota to find out what options might have been installed.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #7

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Yes. Best find out what your specific vehicle is equipped with to determine what it is rated to tow.
For instance, my 2008 RAV4 V6 comes with transmission cooler and a heavy duty alternator ( and I think larger radiator ) as standard in Canada. The same vehicle in the U.S., those features are options.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

This site states 2000lbs for the 2005 Highlander UNLESS it has the towing prep package which seems to include parts that yours may or may not have.

2005 Toyota Highlander Highlights
Impressive! Your site Bob shows the Four-cylinder Highlanders can tow up to 3,000 pounds if you buy the towing prep package. There are very few 4 cyl vehicles in North America that get that kind of rating.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
With a 3500 lb max tow capacity when properly equipped, your Highlander should be able to handle almost any egg (main exception being Casita 17' deluxe due to the high tongue weight of that model). But first, your Toyota dealer can look up your vin and tell you whether your HL has the tow package. If not, find out what was included in that package and discuss with the dealer what package items can and should be added. Probably the biggest factor will be cooling capability for the transmission and maybe the engine. Auxiliary coolers are not very expensive or difficult to add. Items like that protect the vehicle from damage. Some things may be needed for safety, too (like if the tow package included larger brakes).

Fiberglass eggs are aerodynamic and have less frontal area than stick built, boxy trailers. They are a good match for your HL. As for which one to choose, that mostly is a matter of personal preference. A great way to see several different eggs at one time is to attend a rally in your area.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #10

Pennsylvania
Smile Great info/advice

hi Everyone
Thanks so much for the replies suggestions ideas. They're very much appreciated. My plan is to consult toyota on Tuesday. My purpose in asking tthis forum was to get a feel as to what any of you might be towing with your highlander so I can research them online. Ours has 117k miles but I think if a tow package could be added inexpensively enough it would have plenty of life left to tow and adding a package would I'm sure cost less than another vehicle lol.

As for the various fgrvs is there a rally coming up in the Philly area this summer? I especially like the egg camper brand because it uses all electric. I'm Leary of propane a little maybe a sight impaired thing lol. Is an r pod a fgrv? Another reason I like them is the lighter weight easy to tow my wife will be our only driver. The fact they never leak sounds exciting especially here in the ne where we get rain snow hail huge swings in temps. If you had some brands I should research which ones should I read up on? Turning 50 next year with a fgrv sounds great to me. Thanks again for your kind help. Hope to meet you eventually
Marshallpianotech
Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #11

California
Ooops, Quote: The fact they never leak

Not exactly true....

FGRV Windows, doors, roof hatches, vents and a few with roof seams can and do leak occasionally if not cared for on a regular basis.

The good news is that there aren't all the corner seams that sticky's have and, if there is a leak, it usually does not do terminal damage to the rig.

That said, as they age, if not cared for, it is entirely possible to find water damage and, in a few cases, severe water damage, usually to the floor.

Soooo... if you are looking, be sure to look for any evidence of previous or active leaks.
Old 05-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #12

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I looked at the rally map https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...266&dg=feature and it looks like the closest rallies are:
July 11-13 at Wainfleet ON (W of Buffalo)
Aug 15-17 north of Albany NY
Sept. 12-14 at Niagara Falls
and sometime in September, there may be one in Nashport OH.

Another option is to seek owners in your area. Many FG egg owners are happy to show off their trailers. You can even call Scamp or Casita and ask for referrals to owners nearby who have already agreed to this.

Parkliner in NC builds an all-electric trailer (LP prep is optional), as does Li'l Snoozy in SC. And of course Eggcamper is in MI. If you don't find an owner near you, a road trip to a factory can be fun and educational.

FG eggs can still get leaks around windows and vents (caulk degrades over time) or ill-fitting doors (hinges can get weak or bent) or have water damage from problems with water lines inside the trailer. But it is true that there is far less potential for such damage, compared to stick built trailers with edge seams all over.

The R-Pod is not molded FG, so it still has those seams and is not as economical to tow (not as aerodynamic).
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #13

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Marshall, We use a 2006 Highlander (6 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, towing package, 130K miles) to pull a 2010 EggCamper (2,520 lb actual dry weight), and it does the job fine with just a 2" rise on the hitch (380 lb tongue weight). My only complaint is I wish I could press a button and extend the mirrors out another 6" on both sides. We recently had our local auto shop do a full tune-up for us including all new belts and transmission fluid change, and the improvement in performance was very noticeable. Best of luck....
Old 05-25-2014, 11:38 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
hi Mike. Thank you so much for the reply. I often read each brand stating that they are the best etc. is the quality extremely different in each brand or pretty much the same? I've seen seams that connect the shell both top and bottom piece and a left and a right half set up with the seam going down the middle and front and back side. Is there less chance if leaking with a seam that molds a top and bottom ?

I realize everyone has different brands of the fgrvs but what drew you to the one you have Is there anything you dislike about it? Again thanks Mike Alan Gail Bob and anyone else I missed. This is all new to me and I do plan to see these fgrvs in person soon not just relying on these posts. the feedback is great and I'm just getting into this. We went camping with my wife's brother when we lived in Indiana. Since his recent padding and the fact we are back in my home state now I figured camping would give her some closure and it's a great way to have fun an affordable vacation. We re renting a cabin this year for a. Couple of days but I would like to get a tt soon as my business picks up that's why I'm asking tons of questions and researching. Thanks again. You guys are great