2009 toyota 4 cylinder towing ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Name: Michele
Trailer: shopping
British Columbia
2009 toyota 4 cylinder towing ??

I have a 2009 Toyota 4x4,159 hp, 4 CYLINDER truck.
Towing cap is 1587 kg/3500 lb.
O.K. Can I tow a trailer that weights 2200 lb with all the gear in side it and bed of truck??

Thank you for any help!
bcmatell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #2

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
What trailer are you looking at Michele ? If it's pretty low and rounded ( good aerodynamic profile ), and if it really does weigh just 2200 pounds, I would say yes.
You probably are not going to be the fastest rig going up the mountain, but if you keep your expectations reasonable, then yep, it ought to work fine.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hi Michele and welcome to the forum. As long as you have the it properly equipped, the truck will do the job but the lack of power will be very apparent. Merging into traffic and going up hill will be slow. You didn't indicate if you have a manual or automatic transmission. An automatic may require the addition of a cooler if one is not already there. Also I would want brakes on the trailer with a good brake controller installed in the truck. With truck, trailer, stuff, and passengers you're between 6000- 7000 lbs. That's a lot of weight to move and a lot of weight to stop. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #4

British Columbia
Stick shift

It's a stick shift.5 speed. Do you count the weight of the truck plus the trailer?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmatell View Post
It's a stick shift.5 speed. Do you count the weight of the truck plus the trailer?
Your truck has a tow rating of 3500lbs. That's just the trailer. But the engine has to also move the truck (about 4000lbs) and you and your stuff. Four thousand + 2200 + you + stuff = 6000-7000 lbs. Sorry if I wasn't clear. Raz
Old 07-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
You shouldn't have any trouble with that small/light trailer. Toyota makes a very rugged 4cyl. Back in the 80's Torota put a 4cyl in small motorhomes. My dad had one of those and he lived in Summerland BC. Most of his travels were done in the mountains.

To get a perspective we towed a 2,000 lb pop up through the Rockies with a 150HP Nissan Van. Worked great and we passed many slower moving vehicles on the climbs.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #7

British Columbia
toyota 4 cyclender

Thank you very much all of you!! Have a beer on me
Old 07-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Raz

okie dok
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Back in the 80's Torota put a 4cyl in small motorhomes. My dad had one of those and he lived in Summerland BC. Most of his travels were done in the mountains.
I drove one of those.

They didn't have enough reserve power to run a power steering pump.

Turning the wheel when stopped was definitely fun.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Yes, there was a lot of weight there and they were dually's but the 4cyl got the job done and they were reliable. The later versions had V6's.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
As other's have said, you should be fine. But I have to ask, have you weighed the trailer your thinking of buying or assumeing it only weighs 2200 pounds. Cause a lil FYI, trailer's often weigh in more than manufactures state. Many times things like A/C's, fridge, tanks, propane tanks etc are not included in the manufactures weight.

I really recommend reading the sticky post in general chat called, Weights in the real world.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #12

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
As other's have said, you should be fine. But I have to ask, have you weighed the trailer your thinking of buying or assumeing it only weighs 2200 pounds. Cause a lil FYI, trailer's often weigh in more than manufactures state. Many times things like A/C's, fridge, tanks, propane tanks etc are not included in the manufactures weight.

I really recommend reading the sticky post in general chat called, Weights in the real world.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Exactly. Great point about the weight Robin. That was why I asked the OP in my first post which trailer she was specifically talking about.

Regarding the old Toyota 22R motor....yep, I had one in my '92 truck. We ran the living snot out of that thing. I bought it new, and at the time we were pulling an enclosed trailer around with dirt bikes in it while my son and I chased the motocross circuit. There were times when I literally ran that thing down the hiway with my foot on the floor. It would do about 85 mph with trailer in tow....that was it.....no faster ! But my gosh, we ran it that way a lot, and it took it. I kept it until 2006 when I bought my current truck ( the Frontier ) and at the time I gave it to my son. He ran it for several more years. The motor never did die....way over 200K miles. The rest of the truck just sort of rotted away though, and the interior fell apart.
Got my money's worth out that one.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Toyota never built any motorhomes. They sold a pick-up chassis and then later, a 1 ton Cab and chassis only. About 35 different coach builders put mostly overweight coaches on them leading (until 1986) to lots of broken axle ends (oops). The 3.0 VZ-E V6 that was added in 1989 has proven to be one of Toyotas less fortunate adventures, with a major head gasket recall and lots of $$$ maintenance problems in the 6000+ lb. Toyota motorhomes.
The 4 cylinder, molded fiberglass, Toyota Sunraders weren't bad, but you had to be patient when driving one. I have had 4 of them over the years and, as the chassis goes, they are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Sunrader coaches, being of molded fiberglass, will last forever

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #14

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Michelle, I have an 07 4cyl. Tacoma that's towed my 16" SD Scamp through the Rocky Mts., Yellow Stone, the Tetons and all over the Sierra Nevada Mts. in California.
My Scamp weighed slightly over 2500 lbs. with dual propane tanks, full water and loaded for a trip.
A lot of my trips are to Off Highway Vehicle areas so I have my 630 pound in the back of my truck.
Long grades will slow you down but other than that you should have no problems.
I have a standard hitch installed by U-haul and Air Lift air bags on the rear axle to keep the truck level.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote