2012 Forester towing experience - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
2012 Forester towing experience

I just did a swing down through Oregon which included freeway as well as side roads and lots of mountains.

I get 27-28 without the trailer (I haven't ever done a whole gas tank of freeway only but I suspect it will go to 28.) In mixed driving I get about 25 without the trailer, same as my 2000 Forester, basically, though I haven't tried city only.

With the trailer, at 60, I did about 18 mpg.
At 50 to 55, 19-20 mpg.
At 65 (test stretch) I got 16.

No problem pulling over the Cascades but I did have to drop to about 50 most of the time on steep grades that lasted awhile. That's in 4th gear. If I had to slow for some reason I'd have to shift to 3rd to keep moving (darn slow trucks.) No handling problems or problem shifting if I started on a slight slope, I didn't try it on much of a slope from a stop.

A plus in the new Subie is that the liftback easily clears the jack handle (it was a tight fit before.)

Handling was very good (no sway, very little bumpiness except through Seattle where the highway surfaces are horrible for vibration.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Bobbie,

Thanks for the report. I have moved the Subaru back on my possible future ride. I need automatic because of my knee, but good to hear about your experience.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good report. Our last trip out we got 19 mpg on secondary roads, no interstate. The car has plenty of power, is fun to drive, and is very well thought out My only complaints are the seatbelt buzzer and the hill assist clutch. In fact I am not sure I would have bought the car had I known about the hill assist. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Registry
The hill assist hasn't bothered me at all, at least not after I figured out how to use it. But that darn buzzer does.

Also it has almost too much leg room- I have to be closer to the wheel than I like to get the clutch all the way down. I'll get used to that, I'm sure. After this trip it is now as messy as my old car- time to clean!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Fill me in - what vechile sold today doesnt have a seat belt buzzer???
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #6

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
They all have buzzers. Some are just more annoying than others. As a side note, if anyone knows how to disable the buzzer on an '06 Forester I would like to know...
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Carol, I think he's speaking of the buzzer for the "hill assist" There is a technical name for that feature but I can't think what it is, but if I remember correctly mine buzz's! I think it's just letting you know that it's engaged.

If I am wrong and your all talking about seat belt buzzer's, the way to stop the buzzer is put your seat belt on!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
I had my Toyota dealer deprogram the drivers seat belt buzzer reminder on my Tacoma so that I can undo the seat belt to get out to get mail etc. Still makes noise for 5-6 beeps after initially starting if not wearing the belt, but no buzzing thereafter.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #9

Registry
It is the seat belt buzzer. And it buzzes whenever you get in and move without fastening it- such as when you are backing up the trailer. Or when you have something else on the seat (though I think you can override that, not sure.)

I haven't actually tried the hill holder on the kind of hill I would need it on, where I used to have to put the emergency brake on- I don't think I'd want to be pulling a trailer up a hill like that in any case. But I'm not sure I'd trust the hill holder in any case, trailer or not, on a steep hill (such as Seattle or San Francisco.) And the person behind me on the ferry better hope it works if I ever have to stop on the ramp going to the upper deck (something I try to avoid.)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #10
Raz

Yes, the seat belt buzzer. When there is just one person in the car the dog will move to the front seat. She weighs enough to set it off.

Hill assist: If you have to stop on a hill, you can't start without burning the clutch. The hill holder will not disengage until the clutch peddle is fully disengaged. It makes feathering the clutch to get started with the trailer impossible. While it does let go, after about 3 second, you start to move backwards, again not good for the clutch. Raz
Old 10-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Yes, the seat belt buzzer. When there is just one person in the car the dog will move to the front seat. She weighs enough to set it off.
Buckle up that dawg.

Quote:
Hill assist: If you have to stop on a hill, you can't start without burning the clutch. The hill holder will not disengage until the clutch peddle is fully disengaged. It makes feathering the clutch to get started with the trailer impossible. While it does let go, after about 3 second, you start to move backwards, again not good for the clutch. Raz
Raz, have you checked in on a Subaru owners forum? Someone else may have already figured out a work around.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #12

Registry
Raz, I understand the dog in the front seat issue - it happens if you put a heavy box on the front seat as well - on my current one the air bag warning lights go off warning that what ever is in the front seat doesnt weigh enough to be sitting safely in a front seat with air bags. I just buckle the seat belt up behind the dog or parcel to shut it up. Funny enough the air bag warning doesnt come on for the dog - apparently being a lab that loves to eating has some benefits. ;-)

Tom the work around is practise! My 2 previous Subaru's both had hill assist and I loved that feature having come from cars without it and living in a very hilly area. It did take a few days for me to get used to it but as I was using it for most stops every day it didnt take me long to figure out how to use it without feeling it was burning the clutch. Actually never did burn a clutch out of either of those Subaru's and had one of them for 7 years. Had more problems recalling how to use a clutch without it again, when I would jump into the other car that didnt have it - driving the car that didnt have it was when I felt like I was burning out the clutch.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
But I'm not sure I'd trust the hill holder in any case, trailer or not, on a steep hill (such as Seattle or San Francisco.) And the person behind me on the ferry better hope it works if I ever have to stop on the ramp going to the upper deck (something I try to avoid.)
Bobbie you do realize that when you do stop on a hill you do still need to use the foot brake just as you would without. The hill assist wasnt designed to replace your foot brake or parking brake when stopped on a hill. Its really only designed to stop the car from rolling back in the 1 or 2 seconds after you take your foot off the brake and onto the gas - the same small time frame you used to use your emergency brake to do the same thing for.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie you do realize that when you do stop on a hill you do still need to use the foot brake just as you would without. The hill assist wasnt designed to replace your foot brake or parking brake when stopped on a hill. Its really only designed to stop the car from rolling back in the 1 or 2 seconds after you take your foot off the brake and onto the gas - the same time small time frame you used to use your emergency brake to do the same thing for.
Yes, of course. I know what the hill holder is supposed to do. It's a couple of seconds (I forget exactly much) and I think the learning curve has more to do with getting used to how long it is than anything else.

On a steep hill without a hill holder, you have to use the handbrake to keep from sliding back as you release the foot brake. Then as you release the clutch you release the handbrake. You can do the same thing with the hill holder, I assume, just wait for it to go off but then the brake keeps you from sliding back while you start. I haven't tried this as I haven't had to start on a very steep hill and practice does work on a slight slope. But I agree; there should be a way to override the hill holder with a trailer.

As for the buzzer, it isn't just the dog. (My dogs don't ride on the front seat as there is no way to stop the air bag from deploying, either.) Anything heavy on the seat does it. I guess I could keep that seat belt closed. But it also buzzes (it goes about 15 seconds then stops for 15) when you are just maneuvering around a parking lot.

But those are things I can live with. My friend Carol recently totalled her Forester rolling down a 50 foot slope in Oregon, and walked away with just a couple of broken ribs. (She drove off the road; it wasn't a failure of the car.) I like knowing that if I can't avoid an accident (something the Forester excels at) I am likely to survive it.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I haven't tried this as I haven't had to start on a very steep hill and practice does work on a slight slope. But I agree; there should be a way to override the hill holder with a trailer. .
Bobbie sounds like practice may be the key for sure. On the newer Outbacks there is a button on the left hand side of the steering wheel, you can push to turn it off - Isnt there the same on the newer Forester?

I do know that on the Subaru's prior to 2010 (there were actual a few years between 97 and 10 ??? when they stopped putting them on the Forester) there was a totally different system used and no buttons to push on or off - it was always on. Either way though I'm trying to understand why using either of the systems old or new, would make much of a difference while towing as they both basically do the same thing as when you where manually using the hand brake to hold the car just that the car is holding and releasing the hand brake for you.

PS I dont normally let dogs ride in the front with me either - but have had one or two who think that jumping up to the front seat is a good idea everyonce in awhile. I clip the seatbelt until I can get to a spot to pull over and return them to the rear.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
Raz

On the hill assist, as I understand it the old system was mechanical with a cable off the brake master cylinder. The new system senses the clutch pedal and it controls the brake via software. There in lies the problem. You must completely disengage the clutch to get the brakes to release thus you can't feather the clutch. Raz
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #17

Quote:
On the hill assist, as I understand it the old system was mechanical with a cable off the brake master cylinder. The new system senses the clutch pedal and it controls the brake via software. There in lies the problem. You must completely disengage the clutch to get the brakes to release thus you can't feather the clutch. Raz
There is probably a mechanical switch on the clutch pedal like there is on the brake pedal. If so, you could add a switch to manually over ride it.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #18

Registry
Thanks Raz I was aware they had changed the system so it probable does take some practise but what I am still a little puzzled by is how is a negitive when towing? Also wondering if it doesnt have a turn off option as the Outbacks that still offer the manual transmission have.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM   #19
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
There is probably a mechanical switch on the clutch pedal like there is on the brake pedal. If so, you could add a switch to manually over ride it.

Yes but I suspect there is one switch for multiple functions like the "clutch in" start mechanism. Remember, everything is controller by the computer. Might be the dealer can help.

Quote:
Thanks Raz I was aware they had changed the system so it probable does take some practise but what I am still a little puzzled by is how is a negitive when towing? Also wondering if it doesnt have a turn off option as the Outbacks that still offer the manual transmission have.
Under load you need to let out the clutch slowly (feather the clutch) to avoid stalling. Since the brakes are still on until the clutch is all the way out, nothing moves and the clutch make a rather nasty smell. No turn off switch mentioned in the manual but maybe I missed it. Raz
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes but I suspect there is one switch for multiple functions like the "clutch in" start mechanism. Remember, everything is controller by the computer. Might be the dealer can help........ Raz
Maybe this link will help. There may be a clever way to sequence the clutch and brake application to fool it.
('09-'13) SH Hill Holder Defeat? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum