2012 Forester towing experience - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I haven't tried this as I haven't had to start on a very steep hill and practice does work on a slight slope. But I agree; there should be a way to override the hill holder with a trailer. .
Bobbie sounds like practice may be the key for sure. On the newer Outbacks there is a button on the left hand side of the steering wheel, you can push to turn it off - Isnt there the same on the newer Forester?

I do know that on the Subaru's prior to 2010 (there were actual a few years between 97 and 10 ??? when they stopped putting them on the Forester) there was a totally different system used and no buttons to push on or off - it was always on. Either way though I'm trying to understand why using either of the systems old or new, would make much of a difference while towing as they both basically do the same thing as when you where manually using the hand brake to hold the car just that the car is holding and releasing the hand brake for you.

PS I dont normally let dogs ride in the front with me either - but have had one or two who think that jumping up to the front seat is a good idea everyonce in awhile. I clip the seatbelt until I can get to a spot to pull over and return them to the rear.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
On the hill assist, as I understand it the old system was mechanical with a cable off the brake master cylinder. The new system senses the clutch pedal and it controls the brake via software. There in lies the problem. You must completely disengage the clutch to get the brakes to release thus you can't feather the clutch. Raz

Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #17

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
On the hill assist, as I understand it the old system was mechanical with a cable off the brake master cylinder. The new system senses the clutch pedal and it controls the brake via software. There in lies the problem. You must completely disengage the clutch to get the brakes to release thus you can't feather the clutch. Raz
There is probably a mechanical switch on the clutch pedal like there is on the brake pedal. If so, you could add a switch to manually over ride it.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Raz I was aware they had changed the system so it probable does take some practise but what I am still a little puzzled by is how is a negitive when towing? Also wondering if it doesnt have a turn off option as the Outbacks that still offer the manual transmission have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #19
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
There is probably a mechanical switch on the clutch pedal like there is on the brake pedal. If so, you could add a switch to manually over ride it.

Yes but I suspect there is one switch for multiple functions like the "clutch in" start mechanism. Remember, everything is controller by the computer. Might be the dealer can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks Raz I was aware they had changed the system so it probable does take some practise but what I am still a little puzzled by is how is a negitive when towing? Also wondering if it doesnt have a turn off option as the Outbacks that still offer the manual transmission have.
Under load you need to let out the clutch slowly (feather the clutch) to avoid stalling. Since the brakes are still on until the clutch is all the way out, nothing moves and the clutch make a rather nasty smell. No turn off switch mentioned in the manual but maybe I missed it. Raz
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #20

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Yes but I suspect there is one switch for multiple functions like the "clutch in" start mechanism. Remember, everything is controller by the computer. Might be the dealer can help........ Raz
Maybe this link will help. There may be a clever way to sequence the clutch and brake application to fool it.
('09-'13) SH Hill Holder Defeat? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum