2012 Frontier Gooseneck setup - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #29

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Uncle! Uncle! I am making it official, I am sorry I ever used the term "real" to describe a pickup truck.
thought you might be!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #30

Name: SaNdra
Trailer: Shopping
Florida
I have a frontier 2010 6cyl and am looking for scamp fw. Even scamp says you can tow with small truck. They also sell the hitch to tow with. Looks the same as your layout. Good to know.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:28 AM   #31

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
I have seem some of the Scamp 5th wheels fixed to be pull via the bumper.
Would this make any difference in pulling with a Nissan?
Just wondering!

Thanks
Carl
Old 07-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #32

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
You're much better off to pull a 5th wheel with the hitch over your axle.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #33

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikergirl View Post
I have a frontier 2010 6cyl and am looking for scamp fw. Even scamp says you can tow with small truck. They also sell the hitch to tow with. Looks the same as your layout. Good to know.
It would be nice if every truck could pull the Scamp 5th wheel you want but the reality is you need to check what the *actual payload* of your Frontier is! While Scamp may say their 5th wheel can be pulled with a small truck they are not the ones that determine that. The truck manufacturer is.

You can buy a hitch these days made by a 3rd party to fit your truck or car but that does not change the vehicles actually weight/towing specifications. Just because someone makes a hitch for it doesnt mean the vehicle is actually designed to pull to the hitches capacity.

As mentioned previously in this thread the Frontier's payload specs are not all the same even the ones of the same year with a V6. A SE, LE, Pro 4X all have different payloads - as do the king cabs vs the crew cabs. There can be a difference of up to 400lbs or more in payload capacity between the different models and what options they have on them.

We do have a couple of people pulling 5th wheels with their Frontiers without issue. But I am also aware they are not new to towing and as a result have paid special attention to the actual tongue weight of the trailers they have chosen, the Pay Load of the model/year truck they own, as well the correct placement of the hitch in the trailer bed as well as what other cargo & passengers they are carrying.

On the sticker on your truck you will find the following values:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)- maximum total combined weight of the unloaded vehicle, passengers, luggage, hitch, trailer tongue load and any other optional equipment.

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) equals the combined weight of the
towing vehicle (including passengers and cargo)plus the total trailer load.

GAWR (Gross AxleWeight Rating) -maximum weight (load) limit specified for the front or rear axle.

Your Nissan's manual has lots of good factual info regarding towing and capacities on pages 9-13 through to 9-23. Pages 9-15 & 9-27 give good explanations on calculating what your load capacity is.

Another import factor it the location of the centre of gravity - found on page 9-23 of your manual. The centre of gravity is right over the rear axle.

Type of hitches that can be used are found on pages 9-31. No mention of a 5th wheel hitch set up for the Frontier. Although Nissan themselves may make a hitch for a 5th wheel as its not listed for the Frontier in its manual it would appear it was not specifically designed for use on their small Frontier.

Not knocking the Frontier (I like mine) or saying it can't be done - it is simple put not a full sized truck and you need to make sure you know for a fact the one you own can pull the trailer you want to pull based on what Nissan says not what you may or may not have read here or what a trailer manufacture tells you.

Carl: yes you can use a bumper pull with the Frontier but as with most truck the use of one greatly reduces the tongue and towing capacity. Towing capacity for the Frontier drops down to 3500lbs and tongue limit down to 350lbs when using a bumper hitch.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 AM   #34

Arkansas
Carol,
Thanks for your detailed report on towing with a Frontier!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great information!

Carl
Old 07-17-2014, 11:32 AM   #35

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Carol,
Thanks for your detailed report on towing with a Frontier!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great information!

Carl
Your welcome.
I should have also added that if one does not use the bumper but instead uses a tradition class IV hitch on the V6 the towing capacity also varies from a 4 wheel drive & a 2 wheel drive. The towing capacity of a V6 2 wheel drive is 6500lbs and 640lbs (tongue). For a 4 Wheel drive V6 is a little less at 6300lbs and 630lbs (tongue).
Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #36

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Your welcome.
I should have also added that if one does not use the bumper but instead uses a tradition class IV hitch on the V6 the towing capacity also varies from a 4 wheel drive & a 2 wheel drive. The towing capacity of a V6 2 wheel drive is 6500lbs and 640lbs (tongue). For a 4 Wheel drive V6 is a little less at 6300lbs and 630lbs (tongue).
Carol,
Do you know how come the 4 wheel drive is less than the 2 wheel drive?
This does not seem logical? I would think that a 4 wheel drive would tow more than a 2 wheel drive? But, what do I know?

Carl
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #37

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The GWV seems to be the same for both, but the 4WD truck weighs more and that extra weight reduces the allowable payload weight. That extra weight has to come out of the towing/payload capacity.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
Carol,
Do you know how come the 4 wheel drive is less than the 2 wheel drive?
This does not seem logical? I would think that a 4 wheel drive would tow more than a 2 wheel drive? But, what do I know?

Carl

Yes it does seem a little strange but I suspect as both the 2 wheel and 4 wheel have the same engine the difference may be in the added weight of the 4 wheel drive system itself that knocks the tow rating down a little bit. Similar to why a Crew Cab and a King Cab have different pay load capacities - the optional back seat area weighs more. Have no idea if that assumption is correct or not. Hopefully someone with more vehicle design know how will chime in.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #39

Florida
Carl

The hitch is mounted to the bed of the truck like for bigger trucks. And this gives a smoother turning and pulling

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #40

Arkansas
Sandra,
Thanks! I like smoother pulling trucks!

Carl
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #41

Florida
It is more about the position of the Fw

Small to mid size trucks could never pull any other Fw as I'm sure you know lol. I don't want to get a different truck so I will get a fiberglass Fw. I'd wanted a fiberglass anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM   #42

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikergirl View Post
It is more about the position of the Fw
Guess I'm a little slow today, what does Fw stand for?