2012 Toyota Tacoma and Casita Spirit Deluxe - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #29
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
From what I've read in the responses to my post..is that some believe firmly in the use of a WDH and others believe that in the case of a Casita..that with my set-up no WDH is required. I am feeling safe with what I have and am having done, believe me if anything seems amiss..I will reconsider a WDH.
I suspect what some are actually trying to say is that although Toyota states a weight at which a WD must be used Toyota also requires the truck and trailer to be level -so if the truck is not level & regardless of how much the trailer actually weighs, a WD hitch will be needed to level the truck or changes made to your trailers set up to lighten the tongue weight until the truck levels.

I also suspect that some here realize that the model of Casita you have purchased tends to be heavy on the tongue (more so than some other models of Casita's) and with two propane tanks it may result in the truck not being as level as Toyota wants it. You did mentioned that you can actually see the back end of the truck go down when you hook up & even though the front appears to be firmly on the ground its possible that the truck may not be level. The concern is that if the truck is not level it can have an negative impact on the trucks handling under not so good conditions such as a wet road or a fast stop.

Sorry I probable didn't use the correct terminological in explaining that & am sure you will make the correct choice. I just wanted to try and explain why some are still questioning the possible need for a WD and it may not be simple because they firmly believe in using them regardless.

Safe travels.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 AM   #30
Name: Karen
Trailer: Casita
Carol thanks for the very well thought out eexplanation I see what you are saying I will check the truck to see if level.

The cat is a parking accessory not a travel companion and she dusts

flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
I'd get rid of the factory jack and get a bolt on that folds up out of the way. It will give you needed clearance and in addition allow the tailgate to be opened while hitched.
one like this Swivel Jack Trailer Jack | etrailer.com
Over the years and with several trailers I have had to purchase several different types of jacks dependent upon the situation.

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote