2013 Dodge Ram, 25mpg - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #29

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std
Georgia
Registry
Just curious, is anyone out there towing with either the Ram with the Pentastar or ecodiesel? Love to hear how they perform.

17 Dodge Durango 3.6 (alternate TV)
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #30

Georgia
Registry
Ram ecodiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
John
Nice picture. I got about 22.5 mpg pulling the S13. I pulled a S16 to Md. last month and we got about 21 mpg. I think I will wait a while on the RAM, looks like Dodge may have more options next year.
Eddie
Eddie,
How is that new Ram ecodiesel working out for you?

Old 08-27-2016, 05:46 AM   #31

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16, 1983
Maryland
I traded a Toyota Highlander in on a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 ecodiesel. It's a full size half-ton truck that gets 25-29 mpg on my daily commute, and recently got 20 mpg towing my 16' scamp from central Maryland to the finger lakes region of New York, over the mountains in pa. I have over 30k miles on it now and it's just over a year old. Absolutely love it! And it's rated to tow about twice the weight of my scamp. Lots of margin! .

Doug Griggs

83 Scamp 16

"Trash Panda"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have a Ram, 2014, quad cab, 5.7 hemi, 3:31 rear end with 8 speed automatic pulling a 21' Escape which weighs in at 4300#. I only have 10K miles to date, but average 13-15 mpg towing and 19-20 unhitched. I am hoping it will increase a little with another 10k miles. My older Ram, 2009 same motor, 3:55 and 5 speed auto averaged 12 mpg towing or not. The eco-diesel is a great alternative.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #33

Name: Eddie
Trailer: Casita Indy.
Virginia
10K on the 2015 RAM 4x4 Eco Diesel with no issues. Local country driving I average about 28-30 MPG. On the open road, one trip empty with a bed cover I got 35 MPG but that is not normally what I get. Towing a S-16 loaded down, and a camper shell with the truck fully loaded I got 19.5 MPG on I-95 north returning to Va. from Fl. The truck is rated to tow about 8K and it can do it very easily. The only issue is the payload rating is is about 1200-1400 lbs. It really rides great, we rarely drive the Outback since getting the RAM.
Eddie
Old 08-27-2016, 05:23 PM   #34

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Oh my stars, are we going to talk about Plymouths again.. those dog cars

When I was MUCH younger my folks had a pushbutton transmission car, but I thought it was an AMC, it wasn't it was a PLYMOUTH!
Donna, Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth, Rambler, and Edsel all had push button operated automatic transmissions. They were eliminated by 1964 because they could not meet the uniform shift quadrant standard.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #35

Georgia
Registry
Ram V6 vs Ford V6

Found a test online comparing the base V6 engines in the Ford F-150 vs the Ram 1500. Basically turned out a tie pulling an Airstream (Ram did better uphill, Ford did better downhill). In the end, it sounds like they both preferred the Ram by a small margin.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #36

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.5fb
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
10K on the 2015 RAM 4x4 Eco Diesel with no issues. Local country driving I average about 28-30 MPG. On the open road, one trip empty with a bed cover I got 35 MPG but that is not normally what I get. Towing a S-16 loaded down, and a camper shell with the truck fully loaded I got 19.5 MPG on I-95 north returning to Va. from Fl. The truck is rated to tow about 8K and it can do it very easily. The only issue is the payload rating is is about 1200-1400 lbs. It really rides great, we rarely drive the Outback since getting the RAM.
Eddie

Payload is usually more important, and limiting, than the tow rating. An 8000 lb trailer will have a tongue weight of around 1000 lb, meaning if you weigh 200 lb, you can't even take your wife with you because you have maxed out the payload of the truck.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #37

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
With SOB of trailer, payload could be a big issue. Fortunately some of the Bigfoot 25 models are the only molded FG units I can think of that could come close to using up the payload.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #38

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite ll, Ram 3500 diesel
Northern Nevada
The EcoDiesel is currently on a "stop sell" order and they are not building them while the EPA investigates possible emissions cheating.

I personally would not buy a Pentastar for a towing engine. I have one in my Jeep and I would never want to ask it to tow a heavy load, especially after doing a lot of research on them. Just my opinion, so make up your own mind. Here's why I would be reluctant: 1. They are extremely lightweight engines and they have had trouble with the heads. One of the problems was fixed in late 2012, but the other is not as far as I know. It is a very hard cylinder head to cast and many of them are leakers because of casting porosity. They flush silicone through them to seal them up in production and, get this, every one gets stop leak added to the cooling system. Brand new from the factory with stop leak already added. 2. It is hard to change the plugs and there is a warning to be extremely careful while doing so as to not damage the plug tubes and you have to remove the intake to get to them.
3. There is no tolerance for any corrosion in the cooling system. You must always only run the proper coolant in the proper ratio and use the proper water. Always.

On the plus side, they get good mileage, oil changes are very easy and they are remarkably well balanced for a V6. They have very good driving manners.

Rams are really nice and I love the coil springs, etc. Too bad the Eco is not currently available. That leaves us with the Hemi or the Cummins. Cummins is my choice. It gives better mileage and has way better towing torque than the Hemi. But you have to get a 3/4 to get a Cummins, so it may be a bit more truck than many want to get. In that case, it's the Hemi.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #39

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
The EcoDiesel is currently on a "stop sell" order and they are not building them while the EPA investigates possible emissions cheating.

I personally would not buy a Pentastar for a towing engine. I have one in my Jeep and I would never want to ask it to tow a heavy load, especially after doing a lot of research on them. Just my opinion, so make up your own mind. Here's why I would be reluctant: 1. They are extremely lightweight engines and they have had trouble with the heads. One of the problems was fixed in late 2012, but the other is not as far as I know. It is a very hard cylinder head to cast and many of them are leakers because of casting porosity. They flush silicone through them to seal them up in production and, get this, every one gets stop leak added to the cooling system. Brand new from the factory with stop leak already added. 2. It is hard to change the plugs and there is a warning to be extremely careful while doing so as to not damage the plug tubes and you have to remove the intake to get to them.
3. There is no tolerance for any corrosion in the cooling system. You must always only run the proper coolant in the proper ratio and use the proper water. Always.

On the plus side, they get good mileage, oil changes are very easy and they are remarkably well balanced for a V6. They have very good driving manners.

Rams are really nice and I love the coil springs, etc. Too bad the Eco is not currently available. That leaves us with the Hemi or the Cummins. Cummins is my choice. It gives better mileage and has way better towing torque than the Hemi. But you have to get a 3/4 to get a Cummins, so it may be a bit more truck than many want to get. In that case, it's the Hemi.
The 6.7 liter Cummins diesel in the Ram 2500 / 3500 is also experiencing problems . FCA and Cummins have already been involved in cross litigation plus there is a class action lawsuit pending against FCA .
I plan on sitting back and waiting a while for FCA , Cummins , the EPA and the courts to get it all sorted out before investing $50 or $60K in a new truck.
I've towed with several V6 powered vehicles in the past and do not plan on making that mistake again. They were okay for hauling my 14 ft aluminum fishing boat but not much else.