2013 or 14 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #81

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Tomorrow we begin the Beta test with the 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT, towing our Little Joe. Loaded the vehicle weighs in at 3940 lb, Little Joe at 1760, tongue weight 175.

We switched to an 11 lb propane tank to keep the tongue weight down and are running with the water tank full as a counter balance.

Installed trailer brakes on the Little Joe, and wired in a controller in the Outback.

We're headed for GSMNP, Elkmont campground, site B7 or B8 if anyone is in the area and wants to see a Little Joe. We'll check in in Thursday, May 29 and check out on Sunday, June 8.

I may try to post when I have access to WiFi.

Since this is our shakedown with the new setup, we're going to drive only 3 hours the first day, about 7 on day 2 and possibly 4 the day of arrival.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #82

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
Hi Carol H

The Escape is about $3000 base price higher than a better equipped Casita, and though I am not certain, I think import duties would be required.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences with Subarus. I have never had a single problem since switching to Subarus in 2007, and my experience is pretty typical. They are seeing sales increases exceeding 20% per year consecutively for the last several years, for good reason, and are now selling nearly half a million cars per year in the US. In my experience they are simply outstanding cars in every way and the best price/value around. The head gasket and cam belt problems were resolved long ago (they now have cam chains). Like any car they require proper maintenance, and with proper maintenance they wear very well. I have no experience with models prior to 2007, when, as I've read pretty widely, head gasket and cam chain problems were pretty typical.

Thanks for your comments just the same.
Actually as its my 4th Subaru - love them and the current one is the only one I have had a bad experience with and the only one I towed anything with, all be it a trailer that pretty well maxed out its towing capability - all be it a lighter trailer than what you are considering. ;-)

Yup the head gasket issues were suppose to be a thing of the past & not common to the year of my Outback or so they say.. LOL... funny enough only one I have had the problem on is the new one. LOL

As you are set on your choose all we can do is wish you the best with your choose... but I am glad to be all done with the hassles of the years attempting to stow the trailer light enough.

Edit to add: Due to Free trade there is no Duty payable on an Escape imported to the USA
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #83

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Tomorrow we begin the Beta test with the 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT, towing our Little Joe. Loaded the vehicle weighs in at 3940 lb, Little Joe at 1760, tongue weight 175.

Think you are going to be one happy camper and find the Outback with that size trailer will give you a great solid tow !!! Wish my current truck was as good!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #84

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Owner Tom Young has in the last few months entered into a relationship with Great West Vans late of Winnipeg but moving even as we speak to Alabama. Great West has an excellent reputation as a producer of quality products; here's hoping this proves to be the best match yet.

]
Actually Great West in Winnipeg has been building & still is until they move to Alabama, what was once a Trillium and now called a Side Kick for more than a few months... the first ones appeared on the lots here on the West coast at least a year and a half ago....
Old 05-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #85

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Yup the head gasket issues were suppose to be a thing of the past & not common to the year of my Outback or so they say.. LOL... funny enough only one I have had the problem on is the new one. LOL
Forgot to mention that I still like Subaru despite the issues with my latest one and even more so since Subaru USA has decided with some encouragement that due to the fact that my current Outback has only recently gone off warranty and the relative low milage - 60,000 US miles on it that they will contribute towards that the cost of the new head gasket.... which helps a little.... not that I blame Subaru for the issues I have had.... blame myself for pushing the towing spec envelope a little to far for to long ...
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 PM   #86

Name: AB
Trailer: shopping
California
I have a 2011 OB CVT 2.5 L and I am a newbie to the fiberglass towing world. I know my tongue weight is limited to 200lb and the 1 7/8 ball hitch is also limited to 2000 lbs. What I don't know is if my 2011 has a transmission cooler in it? Is that what you said above? Also what are my limits for weight in the car? Is their light suspension in the 2011s as well? I will be loading up the back of the car - somewhat. I do have electric brakes on the Trillium 1300 1975.

Oh ya - and I want to load about 100 lbs of bikes on the hitch (a bike rack that attaches to the hitch (in between the ball and the car). I want to make sure I don't trash my car. I am about to embark on a 1200 mile trip LA to Canada. Any insights???
venicetrioLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:22 AM   #87

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My OB CVT was built in 06/2011 and it does not have a transmission cooler. They did have transmission coolers in 2010 but at some point stopped using them before mine was built. The 2010 & 11's have a soft suspension and later model OB's came with a larger stiffer rear stabilizer bar to prevent roll and the slushy ride. Subaru had a heavier stabilizer available which many people upgraded to in the earlier models. Check out the OB Owners Forum for details.
Eddie
http://www.subaruoutback.org/index.php
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:43 AM   #88

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: Post #86
That bike rack sounds like a BAD idea. Extending the hitch increases the effective tongue weight on the vehicle and adding another 100 lbs will put you well over that limit. And "Loading up the back" won't help either. Remember, your O/B isn't a moving van.

Here are one set of numbers from an on-line site. It sounds to me like you will be doing what they call "Hard Towing", and see the transmission service note. Fresh oil today is a lot cheaper than transmission repairs in Oregon.

Outback
2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005:
4 cylinder 2.5i, XT- 2700 pounds with trailer brakes,1000 w/o brakes,
Hard towing 1350lbs
CVT transmission- if towing replace the CVT oil 24855 miles
6 cylinder 3.6L, 3.0L: 3000lbs with trailer brakes, 1000 w/o brakes, hard towing 1500lbs

Again, refer to the manual for your vehicle.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #89

California
Thanks Eddie and Tom for your quick reply. Your suggestions made me investigate further. I called my Subaru dealer and spoke with a mechanic who is an expert in towing. He said the weight numbers are written by lawyers and the cars can actually do much more. Off the record of course. SO my concern is not so much with my 2000 lb trailer and gear weight. I think I will be fine. I did look into the bike rack options and possibility of transmission problems. The mechanic agreed with the DO NOT use the extended hitch bike rack (thx Tom) but he said installing hitch on the back of the trailer would be fine as long as I work to make sure the tongue weight is at a good place. Lastly - he was not concerned about the transmission being a problem unless its a very hot day on a steep incline. His suggestion was to turn off the AC until you get over the incline. I thought that was a great suggestion - he explained why but I cant begin to reiterate the details.

Thx for your insight. I will keep you posted on the results of my almost 1300 mile trip with new/old Trillium.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 AM   #90

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi AB, first welcome to FGRV, you will get many answers to your questions from members with a whole lot of expirence with towing.....everything.
Second I'll throw out a few things to you after 45 years towing, private and commercial. Since you are new to this, I would recommend two things for you to concider. A few short 100 mile camping trips to see how what you are concidering carrying preforms with your set up. The trip you state making is a long one with not really knowing how things will work with your combination. Forget the bikes, maybe rent some at your destinations instead. Others will jump in soon.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #91

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by venicetrioLA View Post
I have a 2011 OB CVT 2.5 L and I am a newbie to the fiberglass towing world. I know my tongue weight is limited to 200lb and the 1 7/8 ball hitch is also limited to 2000 lbs. What I don't know is if my 2011 has a transmission cooler in it? Is that what you said above? Also what are my limits for weight in the car? Is their light suspension in the 2011s as well? I will be loading up the back of the car - somewhat. I do have electric brakes on the Trillium 1300 1975.

Oh ya - and I want to load about 100 lbs of bikes on the hitch (a bike rack that attaches to the hitch (in between the ball and the car). I want to make sure I don't trash my car. I am about to embark on a 1200 mile trip LA to Canada. Any insights???
First off I would suggested having pulled with an Outback for a number of years that the Trillium 1300 with brakes is a good match for it. In fact you will find if you keep the trailer level or slightly down on the tongue and evenly loaded it will give you a pretty awesome solid tow. Wish my new truck would give the same stable tow especially in windy conditions!! Be nice to the car in hot weather or steep passes though. The good news is that you only really have one big pass (Grants Pass) to go over on the trip from LA to Vancouver.

In regards to your question regarding transmission coolers go, the Subaru Outback has a stock one that is considered to be a fairly large one (at least the 08's and older did) and it is designed to work well with the tow specs set out in the manual. As a result Subaru does not sell or recommend the the installation of a 3rd party transmission cooler - especially if the car is still under warranty. I had my transmission fluid checked and replaced a few times and it never showed any signs of trouble. I didn't have a CVT transmission though so the service manager at Subaru should be able to advise you on that topic.

Real bad idea to the put the bikes on the hitch as Subaru indicated. You are going to be hard pressed to keep your tongue weight at 200lbs with the trailer loaded up as it is and the weight of the bikes & hitch would need to be added onto what the trailers hitch weighs.

Check your manual or the door decal for the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in regards to your question as to how much you can load into the car. Remember that weight includes the cars curb weight, passengers, cargo, trailer tongue weight and fuel.

I agree with Dave load it up for camping and take it out on a couple of short trips to see how it goes, you may have to move a few things around to get it right, before hitting the road on such a long trip.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #92

Louisiana
Registry
Well, I'm finally getting around to reporting our Smokies Trip pulling the Little Joe with the 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT.

The combinations work very well with the trailer at a load weight of 1760 lb and tongue at 175. The Outback was moderately loaded at 3940, well balanced.

The CVT performed admirably in the mountains. No abrupt shifts; only gradually increasing RPM on the uphill grades. I think the highest we saw was 37-3800 rpm on some of the longer, steeper grades, which is high center of the torque curve. Most uphills topped out at 2300 rpm. When in sport mode to control speed on the downhill grades the accelerator was a bit touchy if you had to apply a bit of gas. Not bad, just took some getting used to.

Traveling at 55 mph we averaged 21 mpg towing. At no point did the TV seem to be over taxed.

Trailer brakes worked very well. We always felt totally in control.

The wife and I spent a total of 13 nights in the Little Joe, a record for us. I am going to have to add another 40 watts or so to the solar array. In Elkmont where we usually stay there are only about 20 sites with fairly good sun access. We never ran out of power, but if we had had to run the fan more than the first two nights we may have had to charge from the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_1721.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 06:11 PM   #93

Registry
Glad it worked out for you and not surprised your Outback should have more than enough power to pull the Little Joe. The Sport Mode does take some getting use to (think of it as manual shifting) but I found it really helpful on long uphill grades to keep the tranny from searching and the RPM down.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #94

Louisiana
Registry
Carol, that's what I enjoyed about the CVT. There is no searching at all.

One other thing I noticed was that when on cruise control, down hills were controlled closer to the set speed than with a typical automatic transmission which can have a tendency to run away
Old 06-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #95

California
Thanks for sharing your wisdom.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #96

Name: Chrisy
Trailer: Researching
Florida
What is a tongue weight? I'm looking to get a 16 Scamp to be towed by my 08 Outback.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
SeekerOfTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #97

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Tongue weight is how much weight is placed on your hitch by the trailer.
As there is a wide range of values for your vehicle, you need to check the specifications shown in the owners manual for your specific model.

From our "Real World Weights" chart a 16' Scamp might have 300+ lbs of tongue weight and well over 2500 lbs total weight and is over the rating for some Outbacks.

What does your manual say????

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:55 AM   #98

Florida
Thank you! I will read the manual tonight!

Old 06-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #99

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOfTheWay View Post
What is a tongue weight? I'm looking to get a 16 Scamp to be towed by my 08 Outback.

While you will find that that a 16' Scamp will fit your 08's total towing capacity of 2800lbs or 3000lbs depending on which model you have it will be well over the 200lb tongue limit that Subaru has set for both models. Subaru does not recommend the use of an equalizer on their cars to solve that problem.

A lightly loaded with few options 16' Scamp is going to weigh in at about 2400 lbs on the axle and although you can stow it to get the weight of the tongue down to 200lbs you will not have a nice stable/safe tow. I having towed a 16' with the same year Outback as yours for a number of years had to load the tongue up to 240/250lbs in order to get a solid stable tow for driving at highway speeds. To compensate for the overloaded tongue I took care to not load much of anything in the rear of the car other than a golf clubs and never carried passengers in the rear when towing. To be frank it was a big headache keeping the tongue down to the 240lb weight range and wouldn't do it again had I known when I purchased the 16' Scamp what it was actually going to weigh lightly loaded (no water in tanks etc) I unfortunately believed Scamps numbers that it weighed less dry than it factually did. There dry weights don't include items such basic items as a fridge, propane tank, hot water tank (empty) awning, stove etc....

Highly recommend sticking to a 13' trailer when pulling with the Outback. You will not find a better match for towing with a small SUV.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #100

Florida
Wow, Carol H! Thank you for the reply and experience. I'm definitely not opposed to the 13 Scamp. Would that model do ok with the Outback even with a shower/bathroom?

Thanks again!