2013 or 14 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
Yep, built in Lafayette, Indiana, right here:

home

3700 American jobs.
Touche!

Your move, Glenn!

Old 05-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #72

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I figured I'd be walking into that.
Point is, we have a world wide economy and a lot of the parts for Subaru come from elsewhere, just as a lot of the parts for an Escape come from elsewhere, and mostly I think from the U.S.
Think furnace, fridge, water heater, water pump, converter, axles. Do the U.S. workers that make those not need jobs too?

Old 05-26-2014, 02:55 PM   #73

Name: Richard
Trailer: Currently shopping
Washington
Not really a touche'

Very few people know that the Outback, Legacy and Tribeca are all built here. Subaru has been building in Indiana since the 90's and have one of the most modern factories in the United States there. It's a very interesting story. So, no touche intended to Glenn....as Joe Friday used to say "Just the facts, ma'am."

I wanted to buy an American built car, but with the reliability, fuel economy, safety and recall problems the big 3 have had, nothing was suitable. I'm interested in supporting American jobs but I'm not willing to sacrifice safety, reliability, quality or design. The OB was perfect and is the best car I've ever had, bar none.

One of my Subarus was a 2009 Forester. Nice enough car, built in Japan. I switched to the Outback because it drives so much better, is much roomier and gets much better gas mileage real world (26 city, 33-36 highway, real world in the 2014 Outback versus 20-22 in the 2009 Forester).

The Indiana built cars are far superior to the Japan built product, both in terms of build quality and finish work. I don't know if there is any reliability difference, but I've had three from the Indiana factory and they were all outstanding.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #74

Washington
I hear you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I figured I'd be walking into that.
Point is, we have a world wide economy and a lot of the parts for Subaru come from elsewhere, just as a lot of the parts for an Escape come from elsewhere, and mostly I think from the U.S.
Think furnace, fridge, water heater, water pump, converter, axles. Do the U.S. workers that make those not need jobs too?
I actually research content percentage of most big ticket things I buy. Subaru has very high US built content even when compared with the US big 3. I think the factory link talks about it - it's really quite high, well above 70%. Electronics, fabrics, low end plastics, tires, those will all come from overseas regardless of brand. I believe Subaru builds the CVT's and engines here, along with pretty much everything else except some suspension components.

As you say it's a global economy. For me higher US jobs content definitely influences but it's not the end of the question entirely. Some things just aren't built here anymore, and with some things overseas quality is so much higher there just isn't any competition. Balance can come by working with and patronizing companies that onshore jobs and local contenting purchases in general.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #75

Registry
And presumably, Richard, you've chosen the Casita for much the same reasons, however incomprehensible those reasons may be to certain, shall we say, "Fan Clubs".

I myself have a distinct prejudice against all-wood-product interiors in fiberglass trailers and thus would never consider buying an Escape.

Each to his/her own!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM   #76

Washington
not done yet !

You raise a good point.

The main attraction, irrespective of origin country, about the Casita is the layout and size. The 16 foot Spirit is perfect for our needs. Secondly, they seem to have a good reputation - local RV dealers with other products recommend them as superior to their own wares, which is interesting. Third they seem to hold their value quite well, which says a lot. The all FG interiors like the Egg brand are too sterile. Casita appeared to be a good balance.

Actually based on your recommendation I'm looking at the Trillium now too. There is a ~500 pound weight difference. I've written to them to get some more information about the 4500 series. With some modification, the 4500 FS might work (that is, if a bunk bed could be hung over the main dinette/bed.) Just wasn't aware of the brand. If you have any input about the Trillium let me know.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #77

Registry
Trillium is (once again) in transition- in the years since the name/brand was reintroduced it's been produced by several subcontractors (Escape, Mattman Global) as well as (most recently) in a self-run facility in Arizona. Owner Tom Young has in the last few months entered into a relationship with Great West Vans late of Winnipeg but moving even as we speak to Alabama. Great West has an excellent reputation as a producer of quality products; here's hoping this proves to be the best match yet.

I don't know whether sales will be factory-only or through a dealer network.

That said:

I see you're in Washington State- there's actually an outlet in Tualatin Oregon that sells Trilliums, these I believe some of the last to come out of the Arizona factory. They list a 4500 right now as being available- $18,000.00. Sure might be worth a jaunt to the Portland area for a look-see! Link to ad
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #78

Washington
Trillium

Thanks. Unfortunately that floor plan in Tualatin isn't suitable - I need the FS model. I've written to GW Vans and Trillium RV and will see what they say. Really appreciate your help.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #79

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Thought there was a post recently from Tom that indicated that because of the move to Alabama, that relationship with Great West was on shaky ground.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Thought there was a post recently from Tom that indicated that because of the move to Alabama, that relationship with Great West was on shaky ground.
I wrote to Tom recently to inquire about the move to Alabama, which he confirmed. No other details to report...

I don't remember seeing any recent posts by/from Tom himself- in fact, now that I think about it, I don't remember EVER seeing such posts-?

What's his "user name", if anyone knows?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #81

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Tomorrow we begin the Beta test with the 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT, towing our Little Joe. Loaded the vehicle weighs in at 3940 lb, Little Joe at 1760, tongue weight 175.

We switched to an 11 lb propane tank to keep the tongue weight down and are running with the water tank full as a counter balance.

Installed trailer brakes on the Little Joe, and wired in a controller in the Outback.

We're headed for GSMNP, Elkmont campground, site B7 or B8 if anyone is in the area and wants to see a Little Joe. We'll check in in Thursday, May 29 and check out on Sunday, June 8.

I may try to post when I have access to WiFi.

Since this is our shakedown with the new setup, we're going to drive only 3 hours the first day, about 7 on day 2 and possibly 4 the day of arrival.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #82

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBug View Post
Hi Carol H

The Escape is about $3000 base price higher than a better equipped Casita, and though I am not certain, I think import duties would be required.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences with Subarus. I have never had a single problem since switching to Subarus in 2007, and my experience is pretty typical. They are seeing sales increases exceeding 20% per year consecutively for the last several years, for good reason, and are now selling nearly half a million cars per year in the US. In my experience they are simply outstanding cars in every way and the best price/value around. The head gasket and cam belt problems were resolved long ago (they now have cam chains). Like any car they require proper maintenance, and with proper maintenance they wear very well. I have no experience with models prior to 2007, when, as I've read pretty widely, head gasket and cam chain problems were pretty typical.

Thanks for your comments just the same.
Actually as its my 4th Subaru - love them and the current one is the only one I have had a bad experience with and the only one I towed anything with, all be it a trailer that pretty well maxed out its towing capability - all be it a lighter trailer than what you are considering. ;-)

Yup the head gasket issues were suppose to be a thing of the past & not common to the year of my Outback or so they say.. LOL... funny enough only one I have had the problem on is the new one. LOL

As you are set on your choose all we can do is wish you the best with your choose... but I am glad to be all done with the hassles of the years attempting to stow the trailer light enough.

Edit to add: Due to Free trade there is no Duty payable on an Escape imported to the USA
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #83

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks.

Tomorrow we begin the Beta test with the 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT, towing our Little Joe. Loaded the vehicle weighs in at 3940 lb, Little Joe at 1760, tongue weight 175.

Think you are going to be one happy camper and find the Outback with that size trailer will give you a great solid tow !!! Wish my current truck was as good!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #84

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Owner Tom Young has in the last few months entered into a relationship with Great West Vans late of Winnipeg but moving even as we speak to Alabama. Great West has an excellent reputation as a producer of quality products; here's hoping this proves to be the best match yet.

]
Actually Great West in Winnipeg has been building & still is until they move to Alabama, what was once a Trillium and now called a Side Kick for more than a few months... the first ones appeared on the lots here on the West coast at least a year and a half ago....