2013 or 14 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #101

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Outback tows *really* well with just 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue and as the 13' Scamps even with bathrooms come in at a total weight of 2000lbs or less you should be just fine with that.

Actually wish my new tug which a much higher towing & tongue weight capacity was able to give me the same solid tow in windy conditions that my Outback gave.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #102

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As you will learn, Outbacks are a special problem with towing i.e. reduced tongue weight vs. max towing weight. Also keep in mind that the maximum tongue weight may also have to do with how the hitch is attached to structural members etc.

As a "Rule of Thumb", especially for those new-to-towing, a minimum of 10% of the total weight should be represented in tongue weight.

Now for the really bad news.... The 13' Scamp with bath (We had one) can be uber tongue heavy, and this is exacerbated when you have to tow with waste in the front located black tank. I would think that keeping one under the rating for your Outback tongue limits could be tough at the very least.

But, the 13' Scamp w/bath is also about as roomy as a 1/2 filled sardine can and, while some do just fine with that, it is the very reason we sold ours after just a few trips and bought a 13' Lil'Bigfoot, that doesn't have a bathroom, and was much lighter on the tongue as well.

Take a look in the "General Chat" forum, there is a post about real world trailer weights, located about the 2nd post down.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM   #103

Name: Chrisy
Trailer: Researching
Florida
That's a shame. I don't mind the small size but I would like a shower!
I don't have a trailer hitch on my OB. Can I get one that is rated for heavier weight?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
SeekerOfTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #104

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can get a hitch rated for a heavier weight, but you still can't tow more than the vehicle's tongue weight. It is the weakest component that determines the tow limit.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #105

Florida
2013 or 14 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT

Gotcha

Will adding a luggage carrier to the top of my OB increase the tongue pressure? Is that a factor?

Thanks!!

Old 06-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #106

You really should start a new thread with your questions, it appears that you are asking about a 2013 or 2014 Outback, not your 2008 model.

Adding a luggage carrier, in-laws, kids and dogs should all be counted against the maximum vehicle weight specified in your manual, you also have to add tongue weight to that as well.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #107

Florida
2013 or 14 Subaru Outback 2.5L CVT

Ok, sorry. Yes, I have a 2008 OB.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 AM   #108
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOfTheWay View Post
That's a shame. I don't mind the small size but I would like a shower!
I don't have a trailer hitch on my OB. Can I get one that is rated for heavier weight?
Yes, in many cases you can do just that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You can get a hitch rated for a heavier weight, but you still can't tow more than the vehicle's tongue weight. It is the weakest component that determines the tow limit.
The weakest component can be many things. Many times it is the hitch itself. An engineering evaluation on the vehicle will determine that. In our case a custom designed heavy duty hitch accommodated the WDH which allowed us to tow with a heavier trailer tongue weight. Works great.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #109

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
The US spec 2008 Outback warns not to use a WDH on the Outback. Not sure why, but it does.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Yes, in many cases you can do just that.

The weakest component can be many things. Many times it is the hitch itself. An engineering evaluation on the vehicle will determine that. In our case a custom designed heavy duty hitch accommodated the WDH which allowed us to tow with a heavier trailer tongue weight. Works great.
BTW: the above post does not erelate to the specific vehicle being discussed.

But, fortunately, there really is no one that can evaluate/re-engineer your vehicle to tow a weight above the factory specified weight limits without running afoul of a number of other issues, ranging from safety to liability.

While there a few that do this, they do it at YOUR risk and peril as to damage to your vehicle, deterioration of any remaining warranty and, above all, liability claims that may result as the result of any accident, regardless of the cause, that might occur when you are towing over the specified limits.

As you will see, there are one or two on this site that consider their sources to be superior to all of the manufacturers engineers and accident lawyers in the world. Don't get fished in.....

In short, people doing the wrong thing successfully for years, still doesn't make it right.... stick with the manufacturers specifications and ignore those that suggest otherwise.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #111

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You really should start a new thread with your questions, it appears that you are asking about a 2013 or 2014 Outback, not your 2008 model.
Whether its an 2008 or a 2013 or 2014 they all have the same tongue weight rating and towing capacity depending on the model of Outback. Its either a total of 2800lbs or 3000lbs.

As far as MC1 suggestion of the use of a WDH - forget it! Read your manual!
I did some homework on the use of a WDH and why Subaru doesnt recommend their use on their unique All Wheel Drive system. Talked with a few service managers as well as directly with Subaru Canada and USA.... over all response was the shifting of the weight could have a negative impact on the cars handling due to the all wheel drive system they use. Regardless the use of a WDH does not change the tongue weight spec on your car! It is what it is regardless of what extra equipment you choose to spend money on to try and change it. The car will provide you will an amazing solid tow even in serious side wind conditions with out the need for a WDH or sway control (thats not a bad idea as a safety backup though) providing you stick to towing within in towing specs. Wish my larger truck which is lighter in the back end did so well!

The only hitch you will ever need if your going to stay within its towing specs is a Class II hitch( some here will argue it should be a Class III due to more receiver options and a WDH but I managed well for 6 years with only a class II & no WDH) The Class II s good for up to 3500lbs which is well over your cars towing capacity but it still doesnt mean you should or can tow up to that amount.

You can purchase a class II hitch that is designed to mount using the factory installed hitch mounts - no need to drill any new holes into the cars frame to mount it which could result in a hitch failure down the road as they are not totally reinforced as the factory ones are.

I pulled 2600lb (total) behind my Outback for 6 years, many thousands of miles using a class II hitch which was mounted using the factory hitch mounting points on the car. I had to replace the hitch after 4 years due to premature rusting of the hitch (it was covered under the hitch warranty against that). When the first hitch was removed the mounting points where well checked over and there was zero sign of the points failing or weakening in any way.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 AM   #112

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerOfTheWay View Post
Ok, sorry. Yes, I have a 2008 OB.

No need to be sorry and start a whole new thread as your 2008 has the same towing capacity specs as the newer models.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #113
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As far as MC1 suggestion of the use of a WDH - forget it! Read your manual!
I did some homework on the use of a WDH and why Subaru doesnt recommend their use on their unique All Wheel Drive system. Talked with a few service managers as well as directly with Subaru Canada and USA.... over all response was the shifting of the weight could have a negative impact on the cars handling due to the all wheel drive system they use.
Wow, your research must have been a few decades ago. The WDH non use issue only applies to the 85-87 Subaru Alcyone XT's. Since then, no problem.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #114

Registry
Quote:
Wow, your research must have been a few decades ago. The WDH non use issue only applies to the 85-87 Subaru Alcyone XT's. Since then, no problem.
MC1 have you ever actually read the owners manual of a Subaru???? Past or current models?

Again despite what the OP may read here I strongly suggest they read the owners manual of their Subaru & talk to their service manager!
Old 06-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #115

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Not much research required if you have the manual. My 08 Subaru Outback manual specifically mentions not to use a WDH.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:56 PM   #116

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Not much research required if you have the manual. My 08 Subaru Outback manual specifically mentions not to use a WDH.
Yup, the manual of my 2000 and 2007 Outbacks both had reference in the manual the WDH are not recommend for use on them.... as did the manual of the 2014 I looked at while shopping for new wheels last fall.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #117

I would like to point out that "not recommended" is not the same as "forbidden". That said, I find the constant encouragement to tow over manufacturer's stated limits irresponsible.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #118

Registry
My Subaru manual simply states under a prominent WARNING banner in the towing section the following statement; WARNING "Use the hitch only as a weight carrying hitch. Do not use with any type of weight distributing hitch."
As someone who once worked in the insurance claims business, I prefer to not ignore warnings that could be considered negligence if anything bad happened. There is often just a fine line between simple negligence and gross negligence which could determine the outcome of an insurance claim or lawsuit. There is wide variation on recovery depending on negligence, so I try to avoid any habits that could be considered negligent from the get-go. This link has some good information about how negligence affects claims in many of the states.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #119

My 2008 RAV4 says in plain black text with no WARNING, "WDH is not recommended". Which is a lot different than DO NOT.
I asked my Toyota Service Manager to see if he could get Toyota to elaborate. He sent emails to head office. That was about three weeks ago. I don't really expect that he will get a response. I never have.
Attached Thumbnails
RAV manual 3.jpg  
Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
This link has some good information about how negligence affects claims in many of the states.
Great Post. If more out there would read the contents of the two links they would have a much better understanding and fear of liability issues, especially as we frequently travel from state to state and cross country borders without as much as a second thought.

It should be noted, that, apparently, in at least four jurisdiction's, as little as 1% fault can be interpreted as complete fault. That said, it would be hard to convince any judge or jury that towing over manufacturers weight limits didn't amount to at least a 1% fault.