2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
zdr

Name: DancingTiger
Trailer: Casita 2009 SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
As others have mentioned, I'd be concerned about tongue weight even if you end up with 3000 lbs loaded. Most vehicles rated at a tow capacity of 3500 lbs have a 350 lb tongue weight limit - most 17's are over that. I'd also suggest you actually weigh the trailer. It may have been modified, had additional options, etc installed after the title value was set. You also may be underestimating loaded weight. For example, my Escape has a title weight of 2103 lbs; actual weight loaded for a trip with 1/3 fresh water & empty grey & black is 3010 lbs.
Wow, this is surprise me, I should find a way measure that. In regards the tongue weight, If I install Weight Distribution Hitch (like Andersen) would that be move some tongue weight to Towing Vehicle? Or I miss-understand how is the WDH works?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #16
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Interesting thread , we have an Escape 15A and are contemplating the new Cherokee 2014 , and have ruled out the Ford Escape . We mostly putter around in the mountains , and would not want less than 450/4500 . We are presently towing with a Liberty .

Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
You can take the Casita to a scale and weigh it so you have the true weight. Might make the TV decision easier
Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr View Post
Wow, this is surprise me, I should find a way measure that. In regards the tongue weight, If I install Weight Distribution Hitch (like Andersen) would that be move some tongue weight to Towing Vehicle? Or I miss-understand how is the WDH works?
Yes. Our trailer has a travel ready tongue weight of 650lbs.

With a Reese Dual Cam (750lb bars) 200lbs goes to the front axles of the vehicle and 125lbs goes back to the trailer axles. We tow with a mid sized sedan.

Note. Many of us have been following the Andersen since it hit the market. It has many shortcomings. Suggest you go with a traditional WDH.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
A WDH is no substitute for lower hitch weight. If your vehicle can only handle 350 lbs on the tongue, but your trailer is (let's say) 450 lbs tongue weight, and you add a 75 lb. WDH, you now have 525 lbs on the hitch receiver that is designed for 350 lbs. The WDH can distribute some of the load to the front suspension, but the hitch receiver is still overloaded. Could it tear out the sheet metal it's bolted to? Possibly. Could your suspension be damaged? Possibly.

If I read the comments correctly, you seem to have rejected the Highlander as a candidate because of a perception that it is a "larger vehicle." I don't understand that.
The Escape weighs 3500 lb, the HL 3950 lb, the Jeep GC 4550 lb.
GC is the longest of the bunch, has the longest wheelbase, and is the widest. How can the HL be too big if the GC is not?

I think the Escape can be a nice tow vehicle for the right trailer. A 16' Casita would probably be fine. A 17' Casita with front bath, definitely not. The difference lies in the tongue weight, simple as that.

You will be happier in the long run if you start with a vehicle with at least 500 lb tongue capacity. Either the GC or the HL fit the bill. I've towed over 100K miles with my '08 HL and it's done the job well.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #20
zdr

Name: DancingTiger
Trailer: Casita 2009 SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A WDH is no substitute for lower hitch weight. If your vehicle can only handle 350 lbs on the tongue, but your trailer is (let's say) 450 lbs tongue weight, and you add a 75 lb. WDH, you now have 525 lbs on the hitch receiver that is designed for 350 lbs. The WDH can distribute some of the load to the front suspension, but the hitch receiver is still overloaded. Could it tear out the sheet metal it's bolted to? Possibly. Could your suspension be damaged? Possibly.

If I read the comments correctly, you seem to have rejected the Highlander as a candidate because of a perception that it is a "larger vehicle." I don't understand that.
The Escape weighs 3500 lb, the HL 3950 lb, the Jeep GC 4550 lb.
GC is the longest of the bunch, has the longest wheelbase, and is the widest. How can the HL be too big if the GC is not?

I think the Escape can be a nice tow vehicle for the right trailer. A 16' Casita would probably be fine. A 17' Casita with front bath, definitely not. The difference lies in the tongue weight, simple as that.

You will be happier in the long run if you start with a vehicle with at least 500 lb tongue capacity. Either the GC or the HL fit the bill. I've towed over 100K miles with my '08 HL and it's done the job well.
Sorry, I should say, it's 2014 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee), and the size is much smaller than GC. Here is the link for Jeep Cherokee.

2014 Jeep Cherokee | SUV with 9 Speed Auto Transmission | Jeep
Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #21

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I give up. Where does it specify the towing capacity?
Do you think it can park itself with a trailer attached?
Old 11-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #22

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
You might want to through resale value into the equation of the tow vehicle also. Jeeps really retain their value over the years.
Dave & Paula
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
A WDH is no substitute for lower hitch weight.
I beg to differ on this one. Generally speaking the WDH is a huge benefit. By distributing the tongue weight over both the TV and trailer the combination becomes a much more balanced and better handling unit.

Quote:
If your vehicle can only handle 350 lbs on the tongue, but your trailer is (let's say) 450 lbs tongue weight, and you add a 75 lb. WDH, you now have 525 lbs on the hitch receiver that is designed for 350 lbs. The WDH can distribute some of the load to the front suspension, but the hitch receiver is still overloaded. Could it tear out the sheet metal it's bolted to? Possibly. Could your suspension be damaged? Possibly.
A good point. No one should ever overload a hitch receiver, vehicle mounting points, or any part of the vehicles suspension/axle ratings.

For example. My dad evaluated his combination he put together back in the 60's. He found the stock tires on the car were over the weight limits by a slight amount. He upgraded the tires to a better quality/higher rated tire. Problem solved. Note, even with the new/higher rated tires none of the other vehicle specs or limits were compromised.

In other cases folks on this forum will upgrade their trailer tires to improve load capabilities and reliability.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #24

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
I have a 2013 Ford Escape SE AWD with the 2.0 turbo and tow a 13' Boler. You mention turbo lag. Mine has no turbo lag at all, just pure power all the way and the AWD is awesome.

Quote:
Yes, you read my mind. I believe more torque will do the better job on towing, just can't convince myself, because it only has 2.0 L and turbo lag seems bothering me. And it reach the 3500 lb borderline which I also worry about. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have always been leery of smaller engines using bolt on components to increase their output. The 2.0 L is 60% smaller that the 3.2L engine and it was built for efficiency only, it allows Ford to meet industry wide MPG numbers. Towing adds a lot more strain to the engine, receiver, drivetrain, suspension, and the entire car. That is why the tow ratings for the smaller engine is some much smaller than the bigger v-6. The little engine is not made for towing large items. It may be able to do it, but over time the strain will impact the setup.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small can be strong.

We've clocked some 200,000 miles on our 2.4 Liter Honda CRV, travel at least as many miles as any on this site, and have had an extremely small repair bill. Engine and structure stress seem to be non-issues thru 200,000 miles.

As a view of what's possible with small engines, Honda has just introduced a 1.6 Liter diesel in the UK that has a city/highway rating of 62 mpg rated to tow 3700 lbs. Small can be beautiful and function well.

I am not judging the Ford Escape or Jeep offerings or big tow vehicles versus small, just showing the results of what our experience is with a small tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have always been leery of smaller engines using bolt on components to increase their output. The 2.0 L is 60% smaller that the 3.2L engine and it was built for efficiency only, it allows Ford to meet industry wide MPG numbers. Towing adds a lot more strain to the engine, receiver, drivetrain, suspension, and the entire car. That is why the tow ratings for the smaller engine is some much smaller than the bigger v-6. The little engine is not made for towing large items. It may be able to do it, but over time the strain will impact the setup.
With far more computing capacity in the engine controls than the entire lunar landing mission and direct injection,...this is not your father's turbo.
Consider the same technology applied to only 3.5Ls in the F-150 and towing up to 12,000#. These turbos are not just "add-ons",but integrated clean slate engine designs
Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #28

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I beg to differ on this one. Generally speaking the WDH is a huge benefit. By distributing the tongue weight over both the TV and trailer the combination becomes a much more balanced and better handling unit.
You took that one sentence in isolation, whereas I intended the following sentences (which you agreed with) to be an explanation of and expansion upon that opening sentence. <_< Thanks for agreeing with me.

The Cherokee with V6 looks interesting. I didn't realize they were offering the V6 in that one. 4500 lb tow rating, hmmm!

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, ford escape