2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #57

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
Jeep TV

I'm a Jeep diehard fan.. I'll start with that. I've only been owning and driving Jeep "1991" on starting with a 91 Comanche(MJ), then a used 90 Cherokee(XJ), 91 Cherokee (XJ), 05 Unlimited Wrangler (LJ)(new)... Jeeps have been notorious for having issues on first year models. . 84XJ (pos V6 engine) ZJ(under power/trans issues?) , JK (pos engine) first year. I'll not start on the liberty(KJ). That 9 speed transmission is a unknown. . The 6 speed manual transmission in my LJ been great but there has been some people who have had issues with theirs.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #58

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Generally if it works keep it. There are plenty of things in one's life that don't work to focus on.

Keeping the tongue weight in a usable range is probably a lot easier than a faulty transmission or engine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #59
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Guess we've been lucky , our 02 Liberty has been great -12 yrs no problems . Only looking at new before we get too old to want new . That 9 speed transmission is not actually new , it's the FIAT contribution to Jeep/Chrysler .
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #60

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
It looks like the Cherokee (2014 model) and Grand Cherokee have been getting confused at several points in this thread.

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport with over 300,000 miles on it pulling a 2007 Casita 17 SD. I have only owned one Jeep because I have yet to need another one. I have taken care of what I own.

I have been considering purchase of a new Grand Cherokee. It seems like all of you are happy with smaller engines and not a lot of power. I am looking at the V8's because I have always felt the V6 in the Grand Cherokee was a bit underwhelming. I think I would just want more than anything available in the 2014 Cherokee model (not Grand Cherokee).

Do any other folks think front wheel drive vs. rear wheel (when not in 4X4 modes) is a problem? The Cherokee defaults to front. The Grand defaults to rear. The Grand Cherokee with a 5.7 L engine is a beast. Just about equal to pulling with a pickup.

A lot of the comments about newer Jeeps being junk are unaware that the 2011 and newer Grand Cherokee is a totally different vehicle from it's predecessors. It was a product of Mercedes as much as Chrysler. There were a few dog years before that. Most mechanics haven't even seen one newer than 2010.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #61

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The GC is now designed much like the Mercedes ML platform, and it has a good ride for that type of vehicle. I test drove it and like it. While I have become partial to FWD type vehicles, I am thinking of making an exception someday in favor of the GC.

For trailers with light tongue weights it may not matter much between FWD and RWD, but if the tongue is heavy a RWD will have less tire scrub. My former Ford Windstar went through tires quite fast, will all the towing I do. My current HL splits the power fairly evenly between axles and does much better with tire wear.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #62

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Burtim, try a 2014 JGC V6 with the new 8 spd. I believe it has about the same 0-60 time as the 2013 V8 with the old transmission. Tows my 2850 # trailer great and gets 17 mph while doing it.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #63

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Joining in here late and I don't want to read 5 pages but here's my opinion.
Our trailer is a 1999 17" SD and I towed it with a 2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel powered CRD until April when I bought a Silverado. The engine is great but they only built 14,000 for North America. I'm very familiar with Chrysler and how they correct transmission problems.
The new Cherokee has gotten off to a very bad start with the shifting of the 9 speed transmission. They stored months of production until they came up with a fix. The last I read the fix did not resolve problems on all of them and each one was tested and got a pass or a fail and went back for more testing.
Coming from a person who has had 5 jeeps STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE
Joe

PS I know the difference between Cherokees and grand Cherokees but realize most don't.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #64
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
We did test one out and were not satisfied , so far we are still liking our Liberty better , in spite of all the bells and whistles .
Old 11-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #65
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Predicted reliability scores from the December 2013 issue of Consumer Reports.
The Cherokee must be a new model because it wasn't listed.
Apparently the older Escapes were not good either. One of the gals on the Airstream forum had this to report.....

QUOTE:I have a 2010 Ford escape and it is my least favorite car of all time.
Transmission failed at 17,000 miles, and numerous other issues. I have a Honda odyssey at over 200,000 miles and a Honda crv close to 200,000 and both of these cars COMBINED spent far less time in the shop for repairs than my Ford Escape this past year. I like and have owned Ford trucks but never wil buy a Ford car again, going back to Honda.

Complete strangers will come up to me in a parking lot and ask if I have issues with the Ford Escape, they all want to tell me about their problems with their own Ford Escapes. It's a club you don't want to be a part of!
Old 11-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #66

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I had an escape rental while my truck was in the shop 7ish years ago. I had a tree I wanted to drag across my yard before cutting it up, so I didn't have to haul all the pieces across the yard. I hooked a chain to it, pulled it ten feet, the tree dug in a bit, and immediately grenaded the rear cv joint. I then hooked it to my ragged out '94 eclipse with 96 screaming hp, and pulled it across the yard just fine.

I wasn't impressed. The new ones sound much better.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #67

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Apparently the older Escapes were not good either. One of the gals on the Airstream forum had this to report.....

QUOTE:I have a 2010 Ford escape and it is my least favorite car of all time.
Transmission failed at 17,000 miles, and numerous other issues. I have a Honda odyssey at over 200,000 miles and a Honda crv close to 200,000 and both of these cars COMBINED spent far less time in the shop for repairs than my Ford Escape this past year. I like and have owned Ford trucks but never wil buy a Ford car again, going back to Honda.

Complete strangers will come up to me in a parking lot and ask if I have issues with the Ford Escape, they all want to tell me about their problems with their own Ford Escapes. It's a club you don't want to be a part of!
Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! (2001 Ranger and 2008 Escape), Heck let's even throw in my 1966 Falcon's records...(and it was a non running barn find!)

My Escape is now 6 years old, has towed my Scamp all over the country for the whole time and has yet to have one cent in unscheduled maintenance. All that and under $15000
(new in 2008)

Of course no Escape should ever be attached to an Airstream!
Also I never considered using my Escape as a logging tractor,eventhough I have pulled overgrown evergreen trees out by the roots with my Ranger.
(more like landscaping than logging)

Surely that rental didn't have any reported history of abuse... Like logging or offroading or just plain being driven like a rental!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #68
MC1

Ontario
Floyd.. that is good news about the reliability of your Escape. The gal on the Airstream forum is a Mod. I just sent her a PM inquiring about what she tows the Airstream with. Will see what she has to say.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #69

Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Ontario
Registry
[QUOTE=floyd;432663]Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! [QUOTE]

Me too, Floyd.

My 2003 Escape towed my 13' Trillium and 4500Trillium from one coast of Canada to the other, and down to Florida (year after year) with never a problem......just ordinary maintenance. I loved it so much I didn't want to give it up when I decided I really should get a new vehicle last year. I gave the 2003 Escape to one of my g'daughters bc she needed a dependable vehicle, going to college and work. I bought a new 2013 Escape that I have driven now since May 2013 and have found the same dependability.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #70
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Floyd.. that is good news about the reliability of your Escape. The gal on the Airstream forum is a Mod. I just sent her a PM inquiring about what she tows the Airstream with. Will see what she has to say.
Got a note from her. She was using an F250 for a TV and is looking to use an F150 in the future. She commented that the Escape has been working well since she bought the extended warranty.

Tags
casita, ford escape