2014 Ford Escape VS 2014 Jeep Cheorkee for Casita SD - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #71

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
The 2013 Escape is having a rough year, with its 7th recall. At least the latest is only on the 1.6 engine, and most people pulling a camper probably have the 2.0 engine.

17 Dodge Durango 3.6 (alternate TV)
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #72

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Happy to compare that "gal's" Honda's records with my Ford's any time! (2001 Ranger and 2008 Escape), Heck let's even throw in my 1966 Falcon's records...(and it was a non running barn find!) My Escape is now 6 years old, has towed my Scamp all over the country for the whole time and has yet to have one cent in unscheduled maintenance. All that and under $15000 (new in 2008) Of course no Escape should ever be attached to an Airstream! Also I never considered using my Escape as a logging tractor,eventhough I have pulled overgrown evergreen trees out by the roots with my Ranger. (more like landscaping than logging) Surely that rental didn't have any reported history of abuse... Like logging or offroading or just plain being driven like a rental!
Logging tractor? It was maybe a 10" tree. I wouldn't hesitate to move that with any car I've ever owned. It was already cut down, I was just dragging it across the yard.

It had 450 miles on it, couldn't have been that abused.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #73

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Logging tractor? It was maybe a 10" tree. I wouldn't hesitate to move that with any car I've ever owned. It was already cut down, I was just dragging it across the yard.

It had 450 miles on it, couldn't have been that abused.
LOL Suspect it has been now!
Most of the vehicle owners manuals I have read indicate that the vehicle should have at least 1000 miles on it before it tows anything. Suspect pulling a tree would fall under that warning.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #74

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
A friend of mine owns a 1/2 ton Chevy pickup which he uses to haul firewood . He has cab high side boards on the truck box and fills the truck with firewood until the rear bumper almost drags on the ground . According to him Chevy is a "POS" and doesn't hold up so he constantly bad mouths Chevy Another friend has a new Toyota which according to him is the best truck ever built but the only thing that truck ever hauls is the driver and a case of beer To me antidotal evidence about most vehicles is useless and is usually based in opinion not fact
Old 11-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #75
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
To me antidotal evidence about most vehicles is useless and is usually based in opinion not fact
Agree, that is why I like CR. They sample 1,000's of end users and summarize into easy to read evaluations. Works for me.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #76

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Agree, that is why I like CR. They sample 1,000's of end users and summarize into easy to read evaluations. Works for me.
Unfortunately CR is an opinion magazine and has proven to be so in many more areas than just vehicles..
Try CS on a product which you really know something about, and you'll see their bias and incompetence quickly come into focus.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #77

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
When I see pickup tests where the best one for towing, hauling, etc., loses because it rides to rough and the interior isn't plush enough, I have a hard time taking it seriously.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #78

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
And don't forget the issue where CR complained about the lack of luggage space in the Corvette.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #79
MC1

Ontario
I have subscribed since the 70s'80's?? and have found it to be very accurate and do not buy anything over $50. without checking the CR reviews. It works for me and that's why I made the comment about it.

I know of the varied opinions about CR and I can understand why that is.

It's interesting that my dad stopped reading it when he found out the car he was driving was rated poorly by CR. Hummmm.
Old 11-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #80
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And don't forget the issue where CR complained about the lack of luggage space in the Corvette.
I had a 69 Corvette and it is true. No trunk! No luggage space.

As for pick up trucks. Generally speaking they don't ride that well and many have bland interiors.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #81

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Unfortunately CR is an opinion magazine and has proven to be so in many more areas than just vehicles..
Try CS on a product which you really know something about, and you'll see their bias and incompetence quickly come into focus.
I mostly agree with you about CR, but the exception IMO is where they send out surveys to subscribers, and use the survey results to show the real-life-experience reliability of the vehicles. Those motor vehicle tables in the back of their annual book are the tallied opinions of the readers, not the opinion of the CR editors and staff. While not completely scientific, I think there are enough respondents among the subscribers to get a decent picture of things.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #82

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp 16ft
Alabama
I'll agree with Jared J I compare CR about the same as toilet paper. . A truck should ride like a truck and be able to haul stuff. IMHO When I lived in Ga my buddy got a Crossfire convertible we took it on a test drive, then I got my Wrangler and went on test drive he even though it rode better. He traded it for a Dodge diesel pickup
Most new vehicle models have "bugs" that are fixed after second or third model year.
I know that a WJ (Grand Cherokee) is different than a KJ (Liberty) and a XJ "real" Cherokee I own 2... The reason that its not my TV I'd need a 20 inch plus drop tow bar. and it has over 250000 miles on it. The other one in storage in Ga.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #83

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I mostly agree with you about CR, but the exception IMO is where they send out surveys to subscribers, and use the survey results to show the real-life-experience reliability of the vehicles. Those motor vehicle tables in the back of their annual book are the tallied opinions of the readers, not the opinion of the CR editors and staff. While not completely scientific, I think there are enough respondents among the subscribers to get a decent picture of things.
You pointed out the flaw..." they send out surveys to subscribers".
People who know the product don't subscribe. (for obvious reasons)
And that process is refined over time.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #84

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
You pointed out the flaw..." they send out surveys to subscribers".
People who know the product don't subscribe. (for obvious reasons)
And that process is refined over time.
Lol

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, ford escape