2014 Nissan - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is. The pictures in the manual were of little help.
When I was looking for a truck two years ago, Frontier was the second on my very short list. There are still not many trucks in that (mid-size) category, it seems.
Raz, the turning radius is an interesting consideration. My hitch is right above the rear axle, at the minimum distance from the bumper corner (per Scamp specifications). The 4-door cab is not that far forward, but when driving forward in the tightest circle, it still clear the Scamp loft. When backing up I have to watch that I do not hit, and also make sure the 7 pin cable does not get too tight. (It already did once and I had to straighten the sheet metal bracket!) And that leads me to a question:
Is anybody here using an extension for the 7 pin cable to make the physical connection in the bed next to the ball instead of below the bumper? I do not to want to do any rewiring of the harness. Thanks in advance.

The connection for a "fifth wheel" scamp should be in the bed, not the receiver hitch. $100 gets you the harness that plugs directly into the back of the connector on your receiver hitch (no cutting wires), and mounts in the bed. You can turn 90* no problem. For the life of me, I don't know why scamp did what they did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411388113.245931.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	76783

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Nissan pu

While having my Frontier (2012) serviced (oil change) last week at the Nissan dealer, one of the salesmen asked me if I would like to buy a new one as Nissan is coming out with a diesel engine in the Frontier. I don't think I will buy one, just passing along information. My current Frontier is the second one I have owned, it is 4-wheel drive, automatic. I prefer the stick shift but none were available in 2012 when I purchased this one. I get between 15-18 mpg when towing, that is if I don't have my foot in the carb and traveling between 55-60 mph. My frontier is a white long bed, four-door model with a white shell on the back. I am very satisfied with it. Marg

Old 09-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
While having my Frontier (2012) serviced (oil change) last week at the Nissan dealer, one of the salesmen asked me if I would like to buy a new one as Nissan is coming out with a diesel engine in the Frontier.
Did he say when the Frontier diesel will start to show up on the lots? I know they have made four different diesel version in other markets outside of NA for a number of years and they did have a NA concept Frontier at the 2014 car shows but no indication when we might see one on the lots in NA.

The one they showed off at the 2014 auto shows had a 2.8-litre Cummins turbo diesel with more than 350 lb-ft of torque - expected to increase fuel economy by 35% over the current gas V6.

I do know that Nissan is offering on the lots this year the full sized 2015 Titan with a Cummins 5.0-liter turbocharged diesel V8 as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Thanks, Jared, for the encouragement. I googled "7 pin cable extension" and got here:Amazon.com: 7 pin trailer extension
If only $29 or $39 will do it, it might be worth trying. Right now I hang the 7 pin cable from a couple of bungee cords, but it has to be just so in order not to drag if disconnected by chance, or too tight when turning the smallest possible radius.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Hi Paul, all of the 5ers I've seen have the plug in the box as Jarods pic shows. With the right location of the plug and a coiled cable, like semis use, getting it caught would be mute.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I did buy the Tacoma with the towing package, which is well worth the money as I pointed out in one post, but the 7 pin receptacle is below the bumper by default. I installed the "new style" Scamp hitch (Reese) myself, and did not think or know enough at that time to get the cable extension to bring the connection into the bed. Well, it will happen before our next journey for sure. I think I'll place it right near the ball somewhere on the Reese bracket. Even with the Tacoma, I am not tall enough and have to hop in the bed to place the padlock on the coupler, so I can make the 7 pin connection right there as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #21

Kansas
2014 Nissan

While the ones you posted would work, they plug into your receiver hitch like a normal trailer.

I don't know if you're familiar with weather pack connectors, but almost all receiver hitch plugs have them on the back. If you get a setup like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007V4...110_SY165_QL70 you just "T" it in on the backside of your receiver plug. Then you don't have to plug the fifth wheel harness into your receiver plug each time.

I know it doesn't say Nissan. I had to argue to death with the local trailer dealer that the 7 pin connector on my hitch didn't know what vehicle it was on. It worked fine on my '04 titan. Less than an hour install.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #22

Kansas
Make sure your trailer wiring is long enough. Mine wasn't, but it had also been hacked apart by a previous owner. I put a 6' extension on in place of the 3' one that was hacked on, and screwed a few clamps along the hitch to secure it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411432826.292538.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	76834