2014 Nissan - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: joseph
Trailer: in market
Florida
2014 Nissan

Anyone have an opinon on towing with the 2014 nissan,,V-6,,I want to tow the egg trailer,,made in Michigan.I can not find the tow rating for this vehicle in the Nissan info. posted on their web site,,I was thinking the 4 cyl. but after responces I got,,maybe the V-6 would be a better match up.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
2014 Nissan what? Frontier? Xterra? Pathfinder? Murano? Help us out here.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
What make and size of trailer?
Old 09-19-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
V6 Because it has the extra power when needed.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #5

Name: joseph
Trailer: in market
Florida
nissan

Sorry folks,,Ive been looking at a Nissan frontier P/U..with the V-6,,and the egg trailer is 17 ft long,,made in Michigan,,I think it weights 2300 lbs,,the name of the trailer co. is Egg campers
Old 09-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Towing capacity is right on the Nissan USA web site. Here's a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
2014_frontier_towing.jpg  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Joseph, I have the Pro 4x and its a V6 and pull a Scamp 16' with it that weighs loaded between 2600/2700lbs and it handles the hills/mountains in this area just fine. I previously pulled with a 4 banger (not a Frontier) and although it had decent HP it did tend to struggle on the big hills and mountain passes. If you get the factory tow package its a very simple process of adding the brake controller to the truck. All I had to do was buy the correct cable connection for a controller I already owned and plug it in. Took me longer to figure out where to mount the brake controller than to get it up and running.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Nissan Tow Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Towing capacity is right on the Nissan USA web site. Here's a screenshot.
Can you give us the link so it can be read???
Thank You
Old 09-19-2014, 10:12 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
150 HP (4 cyl) Frontier could tow the Eggcamper in the flatlands ok, but it would struggle at higher elevations (thinner air) and going up long mountain grades. Certainly the V6 would be more enjoyable and probably would last longer (not being pushed as close to the limit as the 4 cylinder would be).

Eggcamper is a little taller and wider than a Scamp, so there would be a little bit more wind resistance than towing a Scamp. But it will be pretty close in performance.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:20 AM   #10
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I have the V6 in my Frontier. I also have the automatic It's a good match. As Carol mentioned, the tow package is very easy to install so if the truck you choose doesn't have it, you can buy it and install yourself. I have never driven a Frontier with the 4 cylinder but I suspect it would be very underpowered especially towing. Finally, the biggest complaint from Frontier owners is the turning radius. Raz
Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Took me longer to figure out where to mount the brake controller than to get it up and running.
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is. The pictures in the manual were of little help.
When I was looking for a truck two years ago, Frontier was the second on my very short list. There are still not many trucks in that (mid-size) category, it seems.
Raz, the turning radius is an interesting consideration. My hitch is right above the rear axle, at the minimum distance from the bumper corner (per Scamp specifications). The 4-door cab is not that far forward, but when driving forward in the tightest circle, it still clear the Scamp loft. When backing up I have to watch that I do not hit, and also make sure the 7 pin cable does not get too tight. (It already did once and I had to straighten the sheet metal bracket!) And that leads me to a question:
Is anybody here using an extension for the 7 pin cable to make the physical connection in the bed next to the ball instead of below the bumper? I do not to want to do any rewiring of the harness. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Hey there Joe. We have been towing with Nissan V6's for over 15 years. The first was the 3.0 in a Nissan Quest Mini Van and now the 3.5 in an Infiniti G35. I really enjoy the 260/260 numbers in the 3.5 especially towing the 23'.

Note: in the 100's of hours of towing we saw no issues with the Nissan engines/drivetrain that were related to towing. They seem bulletproof.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #13

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeonthecape View Post
Anyone have an opinon on towing with the 2014 nissan,,V-6,,I want to tow the egg trailer,,made in Michigan.I can not find the tow rating for this vehicle in the Nissan info. posted on their web site,,I was thinking the 4 cyl. but after responces I got,,maybe the V-6 would be a better match up.
Hi: joeonthecape... Been towing a 5th. wheel Escape since Nov. 2010 (5.0 and now 5.0TA). The 4Ltr V6/auto trans. is great 60,000 mi. and just did rear brakes.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Sunrise in New Hampshire.jpg   P1030695.jpg  

Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is.
Actually I had no problems with finding the brake controller connection - it was clearly visible at an easy to assess point - right under the dash drivers side upfront on the right side. My only problem if you could call it a problem was choosing the various locations I could use to mount the controller.

It may also be worth while for the OP to take a look at the Nissan site as I am pretty sure that the 4 cylinder 2 WD Frontier has a lower tow rating than the V6 - I seem to recall its only about 3500lbs.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote