2014 Nissan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: joseph
Trailer: in market
Florida
2014 Nissan

Anyone have an opinon on towing with the 2014 nissan,,V-6,,I want to tow the egg trailer,,made in Michigan.I can not find the tow rating for this vehicle in the Nissan info. posted on their web site,,I was thinking the 4 cyl. but after responces I got,,maybe the V-6 would be a better match up.
joeonthecape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
2014 Nissan what? Frontier? Xterra? Pathfinder? Murano? Help us out here.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
What make and size of trailer?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
V6 Because it has the extra power when needed.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

Name: joseph
Trailer: in market
Florida
nissan

Sorry folks,,Ive been looking at a Nissan frontier P/U..with the V-6,,and the egg trailer is 17 ft long,,made in Michigan,,I think it weights 2300 lbs,,the name of the trailer co. is Egg campers
joeonthecape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Towing capacity is right on the Nissan USA web site. Here's a screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
2014_frontier_towing.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Joseph, I have the Pro 4x and its a V6 and pull a Scamp 16' with it that weighs loaded between 2600/2700lbs and it handles the hills/mountains in this area just fine. I previously pulled with a 4 banger (not a Frontier) and although it had decent HP it did tend to struggle on the big hills and mountain passes. If you get the factory tow package its a very simple process of adding the brake controller to the truck. All I had to do was buy the correct cable connection for a controller I already owned and plug it in. Took me longer to figure out where to mount the brake controller than to get it up and running.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Nissan Tow Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Towing capacity is right on the Nissan USA web site. Here's a screenshot.
Can you give us the link so it can be read???
Thank You

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
150 HP (4 cyl) Frontier could tow the Eggcamper in the flatlands ok, but it would struggle at higher elevations (thinner air) and going up long mountain grades. Certainly the V6 would be more enjoyable and probably would last longer (not being pushed as close to the limit as the 4 cylinder would be).

Eggcamper is a little taller and wider than a Scamp, so there would be a little bit more wind resistance than towing a Scamp. But it will be pretty close in performance.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I have the V6 in my Frontier. I also have the automatic It's a good match. As Carol mentioned, the tow package is very easy to install so if the truck you choose doesn't have it, you can buy it and install yourself. I have never driven a Frontier with the 4 cylinder but I suspect it would be very underpowered especially towing. Finally, the biggest complaint from Frontier owners is the turning radius. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Took me longer to figure out where to mount the brake controller than to get it up and running.
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is. The pictures in the manual were of little help.
When I was looking for a truck two years ago, Frontier was the second on my very short list. There are still not many trucks in that (mid-size) category, it seems.
Raz, the turning radius is an interesting consideration. My hitch is right above the rear axle, at the minimum distance from the bumper corner (per Scamp specifications). The 4-door cab is not that far forward, but when driving forward in the tightest circle, it still clear the Scamp loft. When backing up I have to watch that I do not hit, and also make sure the 7 pin cable does not get too tight. (It already did once and I had to straighten the sheet metal bracket!) And that leads me to a question:
Is anybody here using an extension for the 7 pin cable to make the physical connection in the bed next to the ball instead of below the bumper? I do not to want to do any rewiring of the harness. Thanks in advance.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hey there Joe. We have been towing with Nissan V6's for over 15 years. The first was the 3.0 in a Nissan Quest Mini Van and now the 3.5 in an Infiniti G35. I really enjoy the 260/260 numbers in the 3.5 especially towing the 23'.

Note: in the 100's of hours of towing we saw no issues with the Nissan engines/drivetrain that were related to towing. They seem bulletproof.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeonthecape View Post
Anyone have an opinon on towing with the 2014 nissan,,V-6,,I want to tow the egg trailer,,made in Michigan.I can not find the tow rating for this vehicle in the Nissan info. posted on their web site,,I was thinking the 4 cyl. but after responces I got,,maybe the V-6 would be a better match up.
Hi: joeonthecape... Been towing a 5th. wheel Escape since Nov. 2010 (5.0 and now 5.0TA). The 4Ltr V6/auto trans. is great 60,000 mi. and just did rear brakes.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Sunrise in New Hampshire.jpg   P1030695.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is.
Actually I had no problems with finding the brake controller connection - it was clearly visible at an easy to assess point - right under the dash drivers side upfront on the right side. My only problem if you could call it a problem was choosing the various locations I could use to mount the controller.

It may also be worth while for the OP to take a look at the Nissan site as I am pretty sure that the 4 cylinder 2 WD Frontier has a lower tow rating than the V6 - I seem to recall its only about 3500lbs.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That's exactly how it was with my Tacoma. I even had a hard time finding the pigtail to plug the brake controller into. It was stuck behind the wire bundle and I had to get the dealer's mechanic free it up and show me where it is. The pictures in the manual were of little help.
When I was looking for a truck two years ago, Frontier was the second on my very short list. There are still not many trucks in that (mid-size) category, it seems.
Raz, the turning radius is an interesting consideration. My hitch is right above the rear axle, at the minimum distance from the bumper corner (per Scamp specifications). The 4-door cab is not that far forward, but when driving forward in the tightest circle, it still clear the Scamp loft. When backing up I have to watch that I do not hit, and also make sure the 7 pin cable does not get too tight. (It already did once and I had to straighten the sheet metal bracket!) And that leads me to a question:
Is anybody here using an extension for the 7 pin cable to make the physical connection in the bed next to the ball instead of below the bumper? I do not to want to do any rewiring of the harness. Thanks in advance.

The connection for a "fifth wheel" scamp should be in the bed, not the receiver hitch. $100 gets you the harness that plugs directly into the back of the connector on your receiver hitch (no cutting wires), and mounts in the bed. You can turn 90* no problem. For the life of me, I don't know why scamp did what they did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1411388113.245931.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	76783

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Nissan pu

While having my Frontier (2012) serviced (oil change) last week at the Nissan dealer, one of the salesmen asked me if I would like to buy a new one as Nissan is coming out with a diesel engine in the Frontier. I don't think I will buy one, just passing along information. My current Frontier is the second one I have owned, it is 4-wheel drive, automatic. I prefer the stick shift but none were available in 2012 when I purchased this one. I get between 15-18 mpg when towing, that is if I don't have my foot in the carb and traveling between 55-60 mph. My frontier is a white long bed, four-door model with a white shell on the back. I am very satisfied with it. Marg
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
While having my Frontier (2012) serviced (oil change) last week at the Nissan dealer, one of the salesmen asked me if I would like to buy a new one as Nissan is coming out with a diesel engine in the Frontier.
Did he say when the Frontier diesel will start to show up on the lots? I know they have made four different diesel version in other markets outside of NA for a number of years and they did have a NA concept Frontier at the 2014 car shows but no indication when we might see one on the lots in NA.

The one they showed off at the 2014 auto shows had a 2.8-litre Cummins turbo diesel with more than 350 lb-ft of torque - expected to increase fuel economy by 35% over the current gas V6.

I do know that Nissan is offering on the lots this year the full sized 2015 Titan with a Cummins 5.0-liter turbocharged diesel V8 as well.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #18

Colorado
Thanks, Jared, for the encouragement. I googled "7 pin cable extension" and got here:Amazon.com: 7 pin trailer extension
If only $29 or $39 will do it, it might be worth trying. Right now I hang the 7 pin cable from a couple of bungee cords, but it has to be just so in order not to drag if disconnected by chance, or too tight when turning the smallest possible radius.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Paul, all of the 5ers I've seen have the plug in the box as Jarods pic shows. With the right location of the plug and a coiled cable, like semis use, getting it caught would be mute.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #20

Colorado
I did buy the Tacoma with the towing package, which is well worth the money as I pointed out in one post, but the 7 pin receptacle is below the bumper by default. I installed the "new style" Scamp hitch (Reese) myself, and did not think or know enough at that time to get the cable extension to bring the connection into the bed. Well, it will happen before our next journey for sure. I think I'll place it right near the ball somewhere on the Reese bracket. Even with the Tacoma, I am not tall enough and have to hop in the bed to place the padlock on the coupler, so I can make the 7 pin connection right there as well.