2014 Subaru Forester- 1500 lb towing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Not the first manufacture to drop back on tow cap recently. Starting to wonder if we are starting to hear/see on the 2014 models the fall out of the agreement to have there cars/trucks under go the new SAE standard, “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” If thats the case its not a bad thing.
Yeah, well...brace yourself!

If this article's got it right, it seems that everybody but Toyota is now backing out of that agreement, at least when it comes to the pickup truck players.

And just when we thought that some actual facts might come into play when towing capacity claims were being made!

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Here's what one site had to say about the Highlander Hybrid

"While the Toyota Highlander remains one of the most popular hybrid SUV vehicles on the road because of its quiet ride, reasonable fuel economy and spacious interior, it is only average in its towing capacity. The rated towing capacity for the Toyota Highlander is 3,500 pounds; however, many Highlander owners complain that the vehicle cannot really pull that much weight without the electric engine cutting off completely. Many people complain that when trying to pull a trailer and boat uphill, the electric engine simply shuts off and there is no way for them to get the vehicle to move except to disconnect the trailer. People have stated that weights of 2,000 or 2,500 pounds are more accurate descriptions for the towing capacity rating of the Toyota Highlander."

Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
So comparable to the 2012 or 2013 Subaru in both fuel economy and towing capacity and $10,000 more. You do get more room but not a lot more.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Yup its a bit like what came first the chicken or the egg game! ;-)

I have been following the story with interest and as with everything there seems to be a few different versions of whats happening to the agreement. Toyota started using the standards as early as 2011 and GM used them on their 2013 vehicles which was suppose to be what they all did but stopped when Ford decided not to join in after all. Honda, Dodge and others where said to be using the standards last year but who knows if they still are or not now that Ford and GM have bailed....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
Maybe that's partly why the Forester rating is lower- except we know people pull 2400# so we know it worked at least with the old Forester.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:52 PM   #20

Registry
I wonder how many of us that are towing with other-than-pickups would care to subject our beloved tugs to the new tests? I know I wouldn't!

I'm pretty sure that if I put my '97 Kia through the tests/paces described at this link, she'd most likely come out of it "rated" to tow nothing except her sorry self up that grade!

As it is, I'm pleased as punch to be able to point to my 2,000 pound, probably-baseless "tow rating"!

Francesca
Old 02-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I think I am safe with my V8 Savana 1500, but you never know.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
I suspect the Outback would make it but not at the 2700 & 3000lb rating it now has - have a hunch it would get kicked back to 2500 or less.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #23

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
One of the criteria we had when purchasing our current Forester (an '06), was the capability to tow a 2000lb trailer. The tow rating on our model is 2400lbs. If I were to purchase new, what would I buy? I'm not interested in a full-size pickup or SUV.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I'm in the "what tow vehicle to buy" game right now. I have a spread sheet put together of a bunch of smaller tow vehicles. If you're happy with a 3500lb towing capacity, you might want to take a look at the Toyota Venza or one of the few small trucks that's still available (Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier) with a 4 cylinder engine. A few larger vehicles that are still reasonably priced are the Pathfinder, the Explorer and the Highlander. The Flex, Traverse, Pilot and Murano also make my spreadsheet, but they're getting to be more expensive. I test drove the Murano just today and quite liked it, but it's one of the more expensive options.

There's undoubtedly some smaller tow vehicles I've missed, but I think I've got most of them.

<edited to add> Ack... reread my comment and realized I missed an important one: Ford Escape with the 2.0l ecoboost engine. Best fuel economy of any on my spread sheet and reasonably priced. Can pull 3500lbs.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post

There's undoubtedly some smaller tow vehicles I've missed, but I think I've got most of them.
Well, there's this one, AKA "My Dream Tug", but it might be a little outside the small tow category, what with that 400 h.p. Corvette LS2 6.0 liter V-8...

Even more distressing: I'm not sure even the fabled CanAm RV has come up with the right hitch for it yet!

Amphibious Car Hydra Spyder by CAMI - YouTube

Francesca
Old 02-22-2013, 10:58 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
One of the criteria we had when purchasing our current Forester (an '06), was the capability to tow a 2000lb trailer. The tow rating on our model is 2400lbs. If I were to purchase new, what would I buy? I'm not interested in a full-size pickup or SUV.
You could always move up to an Outback - its not a full sized SUV - depending on the model 2700lbs or 3000lb tow cap.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #27

Registry
Irrelevant comment ahead:

It seems passing strange to me that the Outback can tow more than the Forester, but according to the published specs, it can!

Francesca
Old 02-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Irrelevant comment ahead:

It seems passing strange to me that the Outback can tow more than the Forester, but according to the published specs, it can!

Francesca
Why strange. Its a bigger/heavier vehicle with a different engine - with more power.