2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #15

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Tacoma has maintained the TOP resale value, of all vehicles. The quality is there. The re-sale value returned to purchaser is unmatched. The cult like following enjoyed by Scamp is even greater for Tacoma, if it were possible.

That said, heavy payload isn't the Taco strong suit. The trucks sag easily with just a few hundred pounds in back end. What do people do you ask? Airbags and heavier rear suspensions are fairly typical.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of airbags but their use is very widespread.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Eddie Escaper (on the EscapeForum) tows a 2007 Escape 5.0 with a 2013 Tacoma (My Tacoma has a towing package and rates the TWR at 6500 lbs... w my cab and engine)
See post #24 in this thread: 5.0 TA hitch for 2016 Toyota Tacoma? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:04 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Tacoma has maintained the TOP resale value, of all vehicles. The quality is there. The re-sale value returned to purchaser is unmatched. The cult like following enjoyed by Scamp is even greater for Tacoma, if it were possible.

That said, heavy payload isn't the Taco strong suit. The trucks sag easily with just a few hundred pounds in back end. What do people do you ask? Airbags and heavier rear suspensions are fairly typical.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of airbags but their use is very widespread.
You cant really increase payload, but you can improve performance at a given weight. I guess a 4x4 tacoma really cant handle an escape 5.0 TA, however people pull them that way. I think they must have gone rogue.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #18

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
According to the brochure for the 2016 Tacoma the payload for a 4x4 is 1175 pounds.

The gas tank holds 21.1 gallons @ 6.3 lbs/ gallon = 134 lbs
My fat self = 250 lbs
2 family members @ 150 lbs = 300
Estimated wet pin weight for 5,0 TA = 700 lbs

134 + 250 + 300 + 700 = 1384 which exceeds the payload by over 200 lbs.

That doesn't include the weight of the hitch which is probably at least 100 to 150 lbs.

So, again, my original question is how do people do it? Am I missing something ? The numbers don't add up. A 2wd has a higher payload by a few hundred pounds but even with that you're dancing on the edge.
A full tank of fuel is is part of the GVW and does not affect payload.
My truck has a payload capacity of 1380 lbs after subtracting for the options I have added . Subtracting from my payload ,the average loaded pin weight for an Escape 5.0 TA ( Even Escape says the listed 600 lb pin weight is low when the trailer is loaded) , the weight of my myself ,wife and dog , the weight of a 5th wheel hitch
and a very small amount of cargo , I am over my listed payload capacity. I tend to follow the vehicle manufacturers stated limits
, others disregard them entirely . You have to decide which road to take . With the low payload of the Tacoma , I see no way you can stay within Toyota's specs . Remember adding air bags or beefing up the suspension does not change your payload.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #19

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
You cant really increase payload, but you can improve performance at a given weight. I guess a 4x4 tacoma really cant handle an escape 5.0 TA, however people pull them that way. I think they must have gone rogue.
Agreed. The airbags are merely to level out the truck. (headlights, etc).

If I were heading toward a 5th Wheel, I'd be looking at more truck than the "life-style" sized trucks, as they're called. These 3/4 sized trucks have their place and are mostly a joy to drive, park and own, but for heavier duty work, I'd be looking at a first rung of the full sized trucks. Just me.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have seen 3 or 4 year old vehicles with rusted fenders , engine hoods , rocker panels , cab corners , door edges and trunk lids . The other issue is the rusting of suspension components and brake lines . The rotors on my wife's 2010 vehicle with less than 60,000 miles have been replaced 3 times due to rusting and pitting . A friend of my son has a 3 year old nissan truck and there are rust holes in the rear bumper and the tail gate .
I am glad you are not seeing or experiencing rust issues but my experiences has been different .
In my opinion ,the auto makers have had great sucess with making better drive trains but rust is still an issue .
I looked at buying a diesel truck because of many factors but
from what I have observed , the body falls apart long before the diesel engine is anywhere near the end of it's useful life.
Same here in central Vt. They brine the roads rather than salting. It's cheaper! My Frontier has never seen salt. It will be a pleasure to do the brakes.
Raz
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #21

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
I have a 2007 Tacoma 4X4 Off Road package, and after complaining to Toyota about rear sag with just a moderate load, they agreed to replace the rear springs. There was a service bulletin that was issued to replace the 2 leaf rear spring assembly with a 3 leaf spring. A service bulletin is different from a recall. Every owner gets the recall work, but only those that complain get the bulletin work.
I also installed air bags but that was before I found out about the service bulletin. I found out about the service bulletin at an FGRV rally. I wish I could remember which forum member told me about this so I could thank them.

I had an 89 4X4 Toyota for 19 years - No rust.
My 07 has absolutely no rust.
I lived in the Chicago area for decades and every brand of vehicle I owned rusted badly. Salt is a killer for any vehicle.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #22

Georgia
I'm originally from the rust belt. Chicago, Cleveland, Upstate NY. Atlanta, GA don't got no rust problems. One of the nice things about living here is no rust... that and the BBQ.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #23

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Eddie Escaper (on the EscapeForum) tows a 2007 Escape 5.0 with a 2013 Tacoma (My Tacoma has a towing package and rates the TWR at 6500 lbs... w my cab and engine)
See post #24 in this thread: 5.0 TA hitch for 2016 Toyota Tacoma? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Thanks. I know a lot of people do it and don't have a problem. That's also what the post you provided says. I would guess those that do it without a problem are just within the stated limits or slightly over with no payload margin to spare. Being slightly overloaded probably won't overwork the truck if it has a tow package, but if you have an accident overloaded, I think the insurance companies would get you.

In my case, with three or four passengers and a 4x4 which has a lower payload, I'll be over the stated payload limit by several hundred pounds.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #24

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Another possible solution is to buy a brand new vehicle , tow whatever you want no matter how far over its limits and trade it off before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:48 AM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita 17 Ft SD
California
If your in an area where salt is a problem on the roadways, I would think the new F150 would be perfect for that type roads, all aluminum body, no rust worries. I would lean to the tried and true V8 engine option they offer over the ecoboost, just my own preferences.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Another possible solution is to buy a brand new vehicle , tow whatever you want no matter how far over its limits and trade it off before the bumper to bumper warranty runs out.
I am planning on buying a brand new vehicle in two years and the tacoma is the one I want. Whatever I get has to do double or triple duty. I take my trucks (with no trailer) in the backcountry on forest service roads and worse. Sometimes I'm fording streams. Forest service roads and old logging roads can be pretty narrow. So a light 4x4 truck with its compact dimensions is better for me than a full size. I'll also be driving it to work and I'd rather drive a smaller vehicle with better gas mileage in city traffic.

I'd also like to pull a trailer or 5th wheel with it. A nice trailer is no problem, a tacoma can do it. However, an escape 5.0TA probably over loads it. In that case I would choose the truck I want and select another type of camper (not a 5th wheel). A scamp 5th would probably work but I don't really like that one enough to buy a new one ... might consider it used.

I've owned toyotas before and they will go 300,000 miles with minimal problems. The Fords and GMs (cars, not trucks) I've owned usually go 5 to 7 years with few or no problems and then the annual expensive repair starts and continues for the life of the vehicle. I keep my vehicles for over ten years. My current daily driver is 18 years old. All of the Fords and GMs I've owned were delivered new with multiple flaws and non-working items. I'm hesitant to buy another one - ever. The F150 with eco-boost would be an ideal truck for my use if it was smaller and had toyota reliability.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I'm a "car/truck guy". So far I see that this post is loaded with facts and many half truths plus some hot air.

First off I am a big Toyota booster...love there quality.
Any rust problems are all in the past...rust not an issue.
The composite bed is a great idea but not so much for 5th wheel towing with a Tacoma (6,500lbs+ towing capacity..V6 4x4 Automatic with toe package. Solve the bed issue and the Tacoma is in first place but keep weight under 6,500lbs.
Full size Tundra...gas mileage not good. For whatever reason Toyota trucks are not about gas mileage...great otherwise.

My first choice for 5th wheel towing would be the Ford V6 eco-boost...very impressive for towing 5th wheel...check with Ford for specs...know your trailer weight. The Ford will do the job just fine and get superior gas mileage (for a truck). Best quality after Toyota.

All other American trucks (GM and Dodge) are on my s**t list for many reasons.

Good luck and Happy Camping.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 AM   #28

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
If your in an area where salt is a problem on the roadways, I would think the new F150 would be perfect for that type roads, all aluminum body, no rust worries. I would lean to the tried and true V8 engine option they offer over the ecoboost, just my own preferences.
I'm in Atlanta - no rust problems at all. People incorrectly assume that aluminum doesn't "rust". Aluminum may not rust but it corrodes like any other metal in the presence of water, especially if its in contact with a different type of metal, like steel. Its called galvanic corrosion. When aluminum corrodes it pits, gets a white dust on it, and has flakes form on the surface which flake off. Add salt to the mix and two dissimilar metals bolted together corrode worse than just steel.

Ford mitigated the problem by isolating the two metals from each other with coatings and probably with rubber or plastic strips or washers, etc. Time will tell how well the engineer's did their job. Stuff like this is usually tested in salt spray booths with hot/cold cycles meant to simulate reality. Only reality simulates reality accurately, though.

I'm an engineer and the aluminum body is one of the things that concerns me about the new F150's. The fancy engine that delivers the good gas mileage is the other. You can solve design problems with brute force or with technology. Technology solutions usually come with eventual reliability problems and/or maintenance expense. Some of my engineer friends say the corrosion possibility doesn't worry them, but it concerns me enough to think twice about buying one. Engineers are forced by the marketing people to do things they wouldn't otherwise do. If I bought an F150 I'd probably get the V-8 engine but it gets crappy gas mileage....

Tags
escape