2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #29
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I seem to recall Land Rovers had an aluminum body. One of the few things on the vehicle that held up Raz

Old 04-11-2016, 10:22 AM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A full tank of fuel is is part of the GVW and does not affect payload.,
I think its handled differently by different companies. I wasn't sure so I included gas a part of the payload for the tacoma. Its probably defined in the toyota towing guide. In my case I would still be over loaded.

I agree that it shouldn't be considered payload since you can always count on having a full tank of gas at some point when hauling.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:42 AM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I seem to recall Land Rovers had an aluminum body. One of the few things on the vehicle that held up Raz
Aluminum could work if done properly. My comment was based on my lack of confidence in the big three doing anything dramatically different that doesn't have problems. Thee are many classic examples and I've been burned by two of them personally, but my post was/is about the Tacoma payload so its off topic.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #32

Name: jon
Trailer: 2012 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
I was also researching a used Tacoma and found this information handy. The last page shows the tow weights. Having a factory tow prep package changes the specs dramatically. 2012 Tacoma Product Information
Old 04-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #33

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
I was also researching a used Tacoma and found this information handy. The last page shows the tow weights. Having a factory tow prep package changes the specs dramatically. 2012 Tacoma Product Information
Towing capacities are different, however, from payload, which is dead weight in the bed of the truck.

Agree that towing increases with tow package, but payload? Not so much. Payload comes into play with a 5'er in the same way tongue weight capacity comes into play with a tow behind trailer.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #34

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Great truck. Would I tow a 19' fifth wheel with it? No.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1935.jpg   DSCF1878.jpg  

Old 04-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #35
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
When it was time to replace my first gen Tundra, I looked at the Tacoma, the Ridgeline, and the Frontier. I'm currently on my second Frontier with no regrets. We have a member pulling an Escape 5.0 TA with a Frontier double cab. I seem to recall the availability of a 6 foot bed played in his decision. Raz
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM   #36

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
I think its handled differently by different companies. I wasn't sure so I included gas a part of the payload for the tacoma. Its probably defined in the toyota towing guide. In my case I would still be over loaded.

I agree that it shouldn't be considered payload since you can always count on having a full tank of gas at some point when hauling.
I know for my truck an allowance is made for a full tank of fuel plus all fluids . The payload capacity listed on the website for my truck is based on the standard fuel tank . I have the optional larger fuel tank so I have to subtract from the listed website payload for the added weight of the larger tank plus the weight of additional fuel . The payload numbers listed on the websites are rather misleading because they tell you to subtract for added options but don't tell you which options to subtract or what the options weigh.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #37

Name: Val
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Arizona
Registry
I also have to put in my 2 cents for the Nissan Frontier for your consideration as a tow vehicle. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 Crew Cab which I bought new and I have towed a 19 foot double axle Bigfoot without any problems. I love, love, love my Frontier! Because I went for the super-beefy off-road suspension (with vehicle ascent/descent assist, etc) on the Frontier, the tow rating on mine is 6100 lbs. but without these add-ons, it would be 6500 lbs. Toyotas are great too, but I chose the Nissan Frontier over the Tacoma because the engine was more powerful, the automatic transmission shifted much more smoothly, and the suspension and ride was much more comfortable than the Tacoma. I highly recommend at least doing a test drive of a Frontier. As for towing a 5th wheel, the Frontier does come in a long bed version and I remember hearing in the forums about some 5th wheel hitch system for shortbeds that prevents the 5th wheel from crashing into the truck's back cab - maybe other forum members will remember what system that is. Whichever truck and Fiberglass home on wheels you end up with, keep us posted and Happy Trails!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #38

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
As others have stated, the tankful of gas does not count against payload. And I think most mfrs assume a 150 lb (or so) driver, so that weight may not count against the Taco's payload, either.

I suppose a custom mod like this http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...BrAig5#image=2 would be somewhat self-defeating for your purposes...

I think you may just worry about the payload enough that it would bother you all the time you towed a 5.0TA with a Tacoma. So, for peace of mind, best to go with a bumper-pull Escape instead.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #39

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
I am planning on buying a brand new vehicle in two years and the tacoma is the one I want.
I agree, it is a good vehicle. But, if the payload issue is going to keep you up at night you may want to wait and see if Ford Launches the "new" Ranger in your time frame. It may carry a bit more weight.

Also, Hyundai is coming out with a truck in that size range, although that may be more of a Ridgeline competitor.

The GM trucks may give you a few hundred more pounds, but they seemed to me to be quite small on the inside while rather large on the outside. I hope the Ranger doesn't follow this template.

Finally, the scamp bed issue does suck. Why couldn't they make it one foot longer? If you get the side bath version with a front bunk, you can lift the bunk and place the lower bunk cushion on the top bunk and it is level with the upper bed area. Thus extending the top bed area the extra 18 inches it needed. Just a thought.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 PM   #40

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
I had a 2007 Frontier with 130K miles on it. The truck was towing some type of trailer most of its life (about 100K). Great truck, but with all the towing brake changes were required about every 60K. This winter after 8 years I decided it was time for a change.
I saw a 2015 Tacoma at Bass Pro, I went to the dealer to check it out. The dealer talked me into waiting for a 2016 for several reasons. About a month later I saw a 2016 at another dealer. I turned around and entered the back of the dealership. As I went around the corner there were about 25 truck frames in three piles. I asked the salesman about them he said they were Tacoma frames but that problem was fixed. I tried to deal with two dealers in Va. and four in Fl. but no one wanted to make a deal. $1K discount off of MSRP at the most (new model they say). After two months of shopping I gave up on a Tacoma. The 2016 Tacoma has a new engine and after having a first year production vehicle before, I decided I really did not want a 2016 Tacoma.
Eddie
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #41

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
We're on our second Tacoma, a 2012. The first was an 05 and, between the two, have driven 300K+ miles with around thirty percent of that towing our 19' Scamp. Both vehicles were identically equipped - 4WD double cab, automatic, 4.0L engine, TRD Offroad package and factory towing option. Both with the 60" (short) bed.

The composite bed is a non-issue. I'll provide a detailed write up with pics for anyone wanting more info. Don't know about the 2016's but bed height was OK with stock axle on the Scamp for these two.

Its usually just Cindy and I so additional passengers are not a factor with regard to payload. Forward of the hitch cross bar and depending on where we're heading and for how long, I carry some combination of a 65 qt cooler, firewood, 20lb propane tank, spare 12V battery and/or an EU3000i Honda genset. Additionally, the rear seats are folded for another 65 qt cooler, tools, recovery gear, battery charger, stove, dutch oven, Cobb grill, Hibachi grill, large bag of charcoal (I don't plan on getting stranded but, if it happens, we'll eat well). Finally, the Tacoma has a Baja Rack roof rack which holds the PahaQue screen room, chairs and a small table.

I'm sure we've exceeded the payload rating with what I've listed and there's probably more that I've forgotten, but it honestly hasn't been a problem. The truck still handles and stops well and the 05 had 240K miles with nary a hiccup from any drivetrain or suspension somponent. Both trucks had the OE springs replaced with those in the TSB and this seemed to help quite a bit with leveling the load. I may add the Firestone air bags at some point in the future but haven't seen the need yet.

We also backpack and enjoy exploring offroad on public lands. For that type of use, I'd highly recommend the TRD Offroad package (suspension, armor and electronic locking rear end) and the trailering option (oil and tranny coolers). Another feature we use quite a lot is the bed mounted inverter (200W driving / 400W parked).

We live on a family farm and I have other towing options with Chevy 1500's and even a Dodge with the Cummins turbo but the Tacoma is still my choice.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #42
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
We tow a 21 with our Taco rated at 6400 lbs; no problems at all.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape