2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #57

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Good to know. Though I'd still take an old 4x4 Suby wagon over the new all-wheel drive versions. I know, I know, they're great and much better for all around road conditions than a 4x4. But still...I love the old 4x4 wagons. Quirks and all. I just sold one a few months ago.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM   #58

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
When we were looking at purchasing a trailer , I was leary of how well my old truck would handle the weight . My truck had a payload capacity of around 1400 lbs and since I needed some sakrete , I figured I would load it up and see how it did. I loaded 20 - 60 lb ( 1200 lbs total) sacks of sakrete evenly spread over the bed of the truck. It was one of the worst driving experiences of my life . The steering was affected, braking was poor and I blinded on coming traffic with my head lights . For me it was not a safe situation. Many say there is a large safety margin built into the published payload numbers but from my experience the payload numbers are overstated.
What feels like a great tow to some people may be highly uncomfortable for others . There is no absolute right or wrong with this subject only personal opinion and experiences , which isn't necessarily based in reality .

Old 04-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #59

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Reality Check....everything you read on the Internet is not fact.

A trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer will result in real facts.

Wish the above was true but you can not count of the dealer's sales staff to be able to answer your questions either.

As I found out while shopping for my truck the local dealers were not good with real numbers either. Had to go to the truck manufactures website to get the facts in regards to things such as tow specs based on factory tow package or no tow package and actual Payloads - which BTW varied greatly from the same truck model but with different levels of options. Its the reason I do not have a Nissan truck with a full back seat although I really wanted one. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #60

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Payload and rated towing weight are two separate measures. If you are towing a 5th wheel you have to keep your rig within the limit for both. A little over will probably be OK. But it makes no sense to buy a brand new truck that is from day one a "little overloaded".

Those who argue that a Tacoma or any mid-sized truck can easily pull a Escape 5.0 and then quote the tow limit on the Tacoma or any other truck aren't considering the entire picture. Its very easy to overload a mid-sized truck in the payload area. The colorado has pretty impressive payload figures for its size. The Tacoma 4x4 has a fairly low payload. For any truck when considering a 5th wheel I've learned in the last few days that its "almost all about the payload"
Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #61

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
Payload and rated towing weight are two separate measures. If you are towing a 5th wheel you have to keep your rig within the limit for both. A little over will probably be OK. But it makes no sense to buy a brand new truck that is from day one a "little overloaded".

Those who argue that a Tacoma or any mid-sized truck can easily pull a Escape 5.0 and then quote the tow limit on the Tacoma or any other truck aren't considering the entire picture. Its very easy to overload a mid-sized truck in the payload area. The colorado has pretty impressive payload figures for its size. The Tacoma 4x4 has a fairly low payload. For any truck when considering a 5th wheel I've learned in the last few days that its "almost all about the payload"
Actually there is another equally important number you need to know and figure out!

Its the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight). Do all the math on that one. There are more than a few folks who have been surprised to learn that although within the total tow spec and pay load they are over of the GCWR and not just when talking about a mid size truck!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #62

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Reality Check....everything you read on the Internet is not fact.

A trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer will result in real facts.

Fact: 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 pickup, V6, automatic trans with tow package is rated to tow 6,500 lbs.
If you doubt this fact visit Toyota and ask.

Never accept Internet statements from strangers as fact.

Did someone here suggest the Taco had a different tow rating?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #63

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Did someone here suggest the Taco had a different tow rating?
My 07 Tacoma has a 6500# tow rating with the tow package. Without the tow package it's much less.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 PM   #64

None
Quote:
Wish the above was true but you can not count of the dealer's sales staff to be able to answer your questions either.

As I found out while shopping for my truck the local dealers were not good with real numbers either. Had to go to the truck manufactures website to get the facts in regards to things such as tow specs based on factory tow package or no tow package and actual Payloads - which BTW varied greatly from the same truck model but with different levels of options. Its the reason I do not have a Nissan truck with a full back seat although I really wanted one. ;-)
Carol ,.the reason you had a difficult time getting honest factual
information on a vehicle was that you went to the wrong dealers .
If you had just gone to a Toyota dealer everything would be perfect.
As Uplander stated a Taco with tow package can tow 6500 lbs
and since an Escape 5.0 TA weighs less than 6500 lbs , problem solved. Life is much simpler when you only look at information that supports your views . You just looked in the wrong place.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #65

Georgia
Quote:
Actually there is another equally important number you need to know and figure out!

Its the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight). Do all the math on that one. There are more than a few folks who have been surprised to learn that although within the total tow spec and pay load they are over of the GCWR and not just when talking about a mid size truck!
Yes, there are many things to check. Its not simple. I'm not going to spend the money until I know I've got it nailed down. It will probably be two years before I buy my new truck. Right now I'm screening candidates.

Some of the responses scare me a bit.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #66

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carol ,.the reason you had a difficult time getting honest factual
information on a vehicle was that you went to the wrong dealers .
If you had just gone to a Toyota dealer everything would be perfect.
As Uplander stated a Taco with tow package can tow 6500 lbs
and since an Escape 5.0 TA weighs less than 6500 lbs , problem solved. Life is much simpler when you only look at information that supports your views . You just looked in the wrong place.
Didn't we establish that tow rating isn't the issue here, it's payload? Being a 5th wheel, this Escape is over the payload limit of the Tacoma. At least I thought that's what we had figured.

Edit: Or maybe I'm taking Steve too literally...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #67

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Didn't we establish that tow rating isn't the issue here, it's payload? Being a 5th wheel, this Escape is over the payload limit of the Tacoma. At least I thought that's what we had figured.
Yes, sort of. I would say that the escape 5 is right at the payload rating for a tacoma when its loaded and I got my initial hunch confirmed by several comments. I think you could make it work with extreme attention to details and limited passengers.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #68

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

Edit: Or maybe I'm taking Steve too literally...
"Tongue in cheek" . I was being facetious . Payload was ,is and will always be the issue. Many just ignore the facts if they stand in the way of what they want to do. If this thread was about towing an Escape 5.0 T A with a Toyota Tundra , at least that discussion would have some basis in reality.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #69

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
"Tongue in cheek" . I was being facetious . Payload was ,is and will always be the issue. Many just ignore the facts if they stand in the way of what they want to do. If this thread was about towing an Escape 5.0 T A with a Toyota Tundra , at least that discussion would have some basis in reality.
Well, I'm not ignoring the facts. I currently work for the US DOT. I understand the fairly simple science behind towing safely. The reason I asked the question initially is that I have been reading posts on this site for at least a year and many people claim they are able to tow an escape with a Tacoma or Frontier. I wondered how they did it because I would like to do the same. I've concluded the trick to doing it is to ignore the payload issue completely (unsafe) or pay extreme attention to keeping the payload within the acceptable limit (nearly impossible to do in a practical sense). I got my answer. I need to either pick another truck or another trailer.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #70

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
I hesitate to even post again on thread as it has traveled around the solar system and back a few times, but…

Here's the deal for us. Yes, we have a Tacoma. A real one, based in reality. LOL
But let me cut to the chase.

I personally see zero point in pushing any limits on tow capacity, tongue weights, or payload capacities. My thinking is this. Life will absolutely get in the way if one does this. Around the next curve will be a curveball. What is the point of RVing if you cannot make the next grade, or have to leave half the stuff that makes camping fun at home? As one travels, collecting a few things along the way just happens. Just does. Pushing anything to or beyond the limit makes no sense to me whatsoever. Something should "give". Bigger Tug or smaller RV. This isn't "rocket surgery" as the joke goes.

Thus, it is always prudent, it just seems to me, FWIW, is to leave lots of margins on any or all of these various capacities. Posted with a great deal of humor, I trust, as that's how honesty is often best expressed and received. I hope.

Tags
escape