2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #81

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We just got back from another long trip. Here we are with our 2013 Tacoma and Scamp 19 in Chisos Basin, Big Bend NP, an amazing place, by the way.

Tacoma manual says not to tow a 5th wheel, possibly because of the 5th wheel hookup geometry (connection made high in the bed), or the assumed weight of anything 5th wheel. However, with the Scamp the numbers themselves are well within the limits stated.

I believe the composite bed is not a problem, it is probably as tough as a thin sheet metal bed, better in some ways. I posted a detailed description of mounting the Reese rails and hitch about two years ago. The truck has now almost 70k miles, more than half towing. No problems so far. It's just the two of us, the load is getting lighter as we learn what we really need to haul along, or not.

John, I do not know the weights, but assume you already compared those of Scamp vs. the 5.0. I weighed the tongue of mine at about 600 lbs.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010968.jpg  
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #82

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
We just got back from another long trip. Here we are with our 2013 Tacoma and Scamp 19 in Chisos Basin, Big Bend NP, an amazing place, by the way.

Tacoma manual says not to tow a 5th wheel, possibly because of the 5th wheel hookup geometry (connection made high in the bed), or the assumed weight of anything 5th wheel. However, with the Scamp the numbers themselves are well within the limits stated.

I believe the composite bed is not a problem, it is probably as tough as a thin sheet metal bed, better in some ways. I posted a detailed description of mounting the Reese rails and hitch about two years ago. The truck has now almost 70k miles, more than half towing. No problems so far. It's just the two of us, the load is getting lighter as we learn what we really need to haul along, or not.

John, I do not know the weights, but assume you already compared those of Scamp vs. the 5.0. I weighed the tongue of mine at about 600 lbs.
Scamp is considerably lighter. Escape's DRY pin weight is 600 lbs. The Scamp looks like a nice trailer for me except the loft bed seems odd with the curves at the front and back. Is the sleeping position side to side or forward/aft? My wife thrashes in her sleep and not even a king sized bed is big enough. We also both have CPAP's which need a small shelf and electrical outlet. The escape has a little room on either side of the mattress. I see the storage areas above the bed on the scamp, but I'd hate to lose the storage area just to have a place to put the CPAP. So, looking at the pictures I've seen of the scamp it looks like the loft bed would be too small for us, but its hard to tell from a picture.
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #83

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by DalePortland View Post
I purchased our 17' Bigfoot in central Oregon and towed it over the Cascades (Mt. Hood) to Portland with my 2006 4.0 6-speed Tacoma. I estimate the trailer with extras, a few tools, me, and truck canopy was an additional 3,800 to 4,000 lbs. I was constantly downshifting, running high rpms, backing up traffic behind me, and generally felt it was too much weight for the Tacoma. The next week I bought a used 2013 F150 with the 5 liter. No issues now and the same mpg. Just my thoughts. Tacomas are a great reliable truck, but maybe not enough power for towing. Anyway, I sold it for more than I paid for it...
I have yet to weigh my 17' Bigfoot, but with my 3.4L Tacoma, it pulls just fine. I just decided that 3,000rpm is the highest I want to maintain, which just so happens to be right around 65mph in 4th gear.

On mountain passes, I just drop down into 3rd gear, 45mph, with my flashers on. I line right up with semis doing the same. That seems to be about the speed they settle into on long inclines, too, so I feel it's plenty safe and adequate.

I actually have yet to bog down and lose power. I just hit the highest rpm I'm willing to push my truck to, and stop at that speed/gear. I even pass people sometimes...

Depending on the options, your trailer may be heavier than mine, though. But I have quite a few tools, a 90W portable solar package, canopy, bike, and though it isn't much these days, basically everything I own in my truck and trailer.

I agree Toyotas aren't the best tow vehicles, but they're completely "adequate".

Tundras are great, but my friends with Tundras either pulling 19-21' trailers or with slide-in pop-up campers get no better than 9mpg, though they do it with an easier time maintaining whatever speed they want.

I like that with my little 98 Tacoma with the 3.4, I'm consistently getting 14mpg. So for someone like me who just really wants to stick with Toyota..."good enough".
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #84
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Paul, have you made any changes to the suspension? Also, how is the clearance between the trailer and the back window? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #85

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carol ,.the reason you had a difficult time getting honest factual
information on a vehicle was that you went to the wrong dealers .
If you had just gone to a Toyota dealer everything would be perfect.
As Uplander stated a Taco with tow package can tow 6500 lbs
and since an Escape 5.0 TA weighs less than 6500 lbs , problem solved. Life is much simpler when you only look at information that supports your views . You just looked in the wrong place.
Thanks Steve for the clarification as to where I went wrong.

As I recently picked up a slightly bigger trailer I am also in the market for a new truck with more payload (I want to be able to bring the dog with me) , tow capacity and power etc etc than my little Frontier has. Wondering if the above is also true when talking to Ford dealers as well? How does one know if your at the right or wrong dealer?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #86

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Paul, have you made any changes to the suspension? Also, how is the clearance between the trailer and the back window? Raz
No, I have not, but I think the first owner had it raised (3 in. as a $100 option). I mounted the ball in the Tacoma pretty much over the axle, the 60 inches from the corner of the bumper, recommended as a maximum by Scamp. When I back up, I cannot go anywhere near 90 degrees, but I do not consider that a problem. When pulling forward on a level lot, I can steer the truck to the minimum turning radius and still have about 5 to 6 inches between the corner of the crew cab and the Scamp. The bumper corner clears the gas tanks by about 6 to 8 inches.

John, in the Scamp Deluxe the loft is blocked off by the shower room, so the only way to sleep is side to side - it could be cozy, or even crowded. The Standard Scamp 5th allows modifications to sleep front to back, the loft is open, but the side bath is smaller. If you could get a look at one and climb in the loft to test it, would be the best, of course. At the beginning we used both, the loft and the sitting area and slept separately, before we got used to the space constraints. One advantage: the one tossing and turning in the Scamp loft can never fall out of the bed!
Old 04-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #87
Raz

Just to clarify, I was curious as to whether the truck suspension has been modified to deal with the load.

I read about folks using a sliding hitch to allow for a tighter turning angle. Do you know anything about that?
Raz
Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 PM   #88

Colorado
Hi Raz, I thought you were asking about the Scamp suspension. No changes done to the truck. When I hook up, the headlights seem slightly high, but I consider that no worse than throwing some gravel, firewood or sand in the bed and driving off. When traveling I try to keep the bed empty and load our stuff in the back seat, which is more convenient and safer (from theft point of view) anyway. Sometimes I drive with a 5 gallon water bladder that I put in front of the hitch in the bed.

When I first towed the Scamp I was disappointed about it jumping an bucking and was researching some of the shock absorbing hitches, but gave up on the idea when I realized that my tire pressure was way too low. Inflating the Scamp tires to 45 to 50 psi cured that problem. The truck tires are at 35 psi.

The sliding hitches that increase the clearance might be nice, but again, why? If I can't back it up the way it is, I tend to start again or find a better site. I am not that great in backing up, but getting better every time I have to do it - I am almost comfortable doing it, although it is a pain after a long day of driving.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #89
Raz

Thanks for the info. I really have no desire for anything bigger than what I have but it's good to know about things. Sounds like you've been to lots of warm places lately. I'm envious.

When we first got a camper our first trip was to DAR state park over on Lake Champlain. It was the weekend before memorial day and the place was empty. I must have backed into every site. Haven't hit anything big yet so it must have been worth the time. Take care, Raz
Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #90

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
From what I have read, the Ford F150 3.5L ecoboost had a shudder problem early on caused by condensation, which resulted from a too-well-designed intercooler (it cooled the mix too much). This was fixed in 2013. The other problem: all ecoboosts are, I believe, Atkinson cycle engines and apparently this design will suffer from carbon buildup if only run for very short distances every day; but if they are regularly run fast enough and long enough to heat up thoroughly, the carbon doesn't build up. Again, this is stuff I have read here and there, but I have no direct knowledge or engineering background.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #91

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I really have no desire for anything bigger than what I have but it's good to know about things.
This hits the nail on the head for us. Precisely.

Our 2015 Toyota Tacoma is a wonderful truck. It is NOT a full sized truck; it is what it is and does what it does with crazy good manners. Cannot stress that enough. Does it best match up to a 16 ish FGRV? In our experience with it? Yes. Yes, it does. And while that doesn't meet everyone's need in either a truck or an RV, that combo meets our needs perfectly. We believe that if one is going to drop 50-60 grand on a truck and RV combo, they need to work WELL together, not just sorta OK together.

So, for us, it is a match made in heaven. If we wanted to tow a 21' fifth wheel or a large, heavy trailer, (big Escape, Oliver, Big Foot) we'd be well served to look into the full sized trucks, most of which are extremely well made, serve their owners with distinction and get pretty decent grocery getting mileage concerning how large they are.

So, buy what works well and enjoy, repeat, enjoy your trips and adventures, whatever combination of TV and FGRV you end up getting. It's about enjoying these precious times and going wonderful places with people you love. It's really not meant to be a PITA or struggle or a stressful, laborious journey.

Peace
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #92

Montana
That's where it came down for me. No desire for anything bigger. My truck is not my "tow vehicle", in my mind. It's my truck. It's my do everything truck. And it just so happens to be able to more than adequately tow my 17' Bigfoot, thankfully. But that's far from its primary purpose.

If I were to match it perfectly to a trailer, it would be more along the lines of a 13' Scamp, which may be what I end up with someday. But for now I need a bigger trailer, and luckily I can pull it with the truck I wanted to own anyway, whether or not I own a trailer.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #93
Raz

Quote:
I really have no desire for anything bigger than what I have but it's good to know about things.
Actually, I was referring to the fifth wheel. As far as trucks, I choose the Frontier over the Toyota. I preferred the metal bed, rear disc brakes, it was $5k cheaper (although when it's time to sell, that may be a wash ) and much easier to set up for towing. So far, two Frontiers, the only issue was a tailgate adjustment. My next truck will most likely be the Honda. Raz
Old 04-15-2016, 08:14 AM   #94

Montana
Nissan makes really good trucks and it all depends on what you want. Historically, and still to this day, they've just been more on the "passenger vehicle" side of the spectrum. Toyota has always been built more like a true truck than Nissan, where Nissan went more for comfort and more car-like handling. Toyotas have always been a bit beefier when it comes to suspension and axle components. More clearance, stronger suspension, originally a solid front axle.

The Nissans I've looked at I think have almost always been sprung under where Toyotas have historically been sprung over, and if you look under a Nissan there's just a lot more stuff sticking down too low to the ground for the kind of roads I drive.

For people looking for a tow vehicle, most of what Nissan is doing is possibly desirable over Toyota. For me, I drive some pretty crazy roads and extra toughness of the Toyota comes in handy.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #95

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Increased ground clearance is useful for some people and in some circumstances . My truck has the factory protection package (skid plates and tow hooks) but for me all they amount to is more weight and something I probably will never use . The con to increased ground clearance is the box / cab is higher up and it's hard for my wife to get in and out of my truck so I added step bars and in turn lost my extra ground clearance. It appears a lot of people buy the off road package on trucks for the macho looks because many of them never leave a paved road. If I wanted an off road vehicle , I would buy an old truck where I wouldn't care if it got scratched or dented up. I can't see spending 40 or 50 K on a new vehicle to take it out in the woods and destroy it so I could boondock camp and save a couple of bucks on camping fees.
But to each their own .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #96

Montana
Yep, and there's a balance. Trashing my truck is the last thing I'm interested in doing. But I've managed to get down some really great, high clearance sandstone roads in my trucks over the years that I would not have been able to get down otherwise, with zero damage.

And I just took the Bigfoot down it's first crazy road. Didn't get quite to the overlook I wanted to get to, but got over some pretty rough stuff, and got far enough to be happy and away from the crowds.

My locking differential has already come in handy in the 6 months I've owned my truck...And having 4low was huge to pull the trailer nice and slow over the bumpy drive to my camping spot.

It's just like building in a security buffer with slightly more tow vehicle than you need. I could have gotten down a lot of these roads in my old Subaru. But then we probably would be talking some body damage and undercarriage scrapes. With the Tacoma and off-road package, I can get down most roads I want with a good safety margin/plenty of clearance.

That's exactly what it comes down to, as many people have said. Everybody has their unique uses and needs. You just make your choices based on those.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:54 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

The Nissans I've looked at I think have almost always been sprung under where Toyotas have historically been sprung over, and if you look under a Nissan there's just a lot more stuff sticking down too low to the ground for the kind of roads I drive.

My Nissan came from the factory with beefed up suspension as well as full skid plates on underside, very little hanging unprotected.

Still would not tow an Escape 5.0 with it though not even on a paved road!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:01 PM   #98
Raz

Stuff sticking down????
Attached Thumbnails
image-728542183.jpg   image-1134402420.jpg  

Old 04-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #99
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Still would not tow an Escape 5.0 with it though not even on a paved road!
Alf seems pretty happy with his set up.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #100

Registry
Quote:
Alf seems pretty happy with his set up.
Yes he seems to have been but if I am not mistaken when he switched to his new 5.0 he indicated that he will be replacing his truck with something with more payload capacity in the not to distant future.

Tags
escape