2016 tacoma 4x4 to tow escape 5.0 TA ? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #61

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
Payload and rated towing weight are two separate measures. If you are towing a 5th wheel you have to keep your rig within the limit for both. A little over will probably be OK. But it makes no sense to buy a brand new truck that is from day one a "little overloaded".

Those who argue that a Tacoma or any mid-sized truck can easily pull a Escape 5.0 and then quote the tow limit on the Tacoma or any other truck aren't considering the entire picture. Its very easy to overload a mid-sized truck in the payload area. The colorado has pretty impressive payload figures for its size. The Tacoma 4x4 has a fairly low payload. For any truck when considering a 5th wheel I've learned in the last few days that its "almost all about the payload"
Actually there is another equally important number you need to know and figure out!

Its the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight). Do all the math on that one. There are more than a few folks who have been surprised to learn that although within the total tow spec and pay load they are over of the GCWR and not just when talking about a mid size truck!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #62

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Reality Check....everything you read on the Internet is not fact.

A trip to your local friendly Toyota dealer will result in real facts.

Fact: 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 pickup, V6, automatic trans with tow package is rated to tow 6,500 lbs.
If you doubt this fact visit Toyota and ask.

Never accept Internet statements from strangers as fact.

Did someone here suggest the Taco had a different tow rating?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #63

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Did someone here suggest the Taco had a different tow rating?
My 07 Tacoma has a 6500# tow rating with the tow package. Without the tow package it's much less.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:08 PM   #64

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Wish the above was true but you can not count of the dealer's sales staff to be able to answer your questions either.

As I found out while shopping for my truck the local dealers were not good with real numbers either. Had to go to the truck manufactures website to get the facts in regards to things such as tow specs based on factory tow package or no tow package and actual Payloads - which BTW varied greatly from the same truck model but with different levels of options. Its the reason I do not have a Nissan truck with a full back seat although I really wanted one. ;-)
Carol ,.the reason you had a difficult time getting honest factual
information on a vehicle was that you went to the wrong dealers .
If you had just gone to a Toyota dealer everything would be perfect.
As Uplander stated a Taco with tow package can tow 6500 lbs
and since an Escape 5.0 TA weighs less than 6500 lbs , problem solved. Life is much simpler when you only look at information that supports your views . You just looked in the wrong place.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #65

Name: John
Trailer: Shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Actually there is another equally important number you need to know and figure out!

Its the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight). Do all the math on that one. There are more than a few folks who have been surprised to learn that although within the total tow spec and pay load they are over of the GCWR and not just when talking about a mid size truck!
Yes, there are many things to check. Its not simple. I'm not going to spend the money until I know I've got it nailed down. It will probably be two years before I buy my new truck. Right now I'm screening candidates.

Some of the responses scare me a bit.
jrmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:46 PM   #66

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carol ,.the reason you had a difficult time getting honest factual
information on a vehicle was that you went to the wrong dealers .
If you had just gone to a Toyota dealer everything would be perfect.
As Uplander stated a Taco with tow package can tow 6500 lbs
and since an Escape 5.0 TA weighs less than 6500 lbs , problem solved. Life is much simpler when you only look at information that supports your views . You just looked in the wrong place.
Didn't we establish that tow rating isn't the issue here, it's payload? Being a 5th wheel, this Escape is over the payload limit of the Tacoma. At least I thought that's what we had figured.

Edit: Or maybe I'm taking Steve too literally...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #67

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Didn't we establish that tow rating isn't the issue here, it's payload? Being a 5th wheel, this Escape is over the payload limit of the Tacoma. At least I thought that's what we had figured.
Yes, sort of. I would say that the escape 5 is right at the payload rating for a tacoma when its loaded and I got my initial hunch confirmed by several comments. I think you could make it work with extreme attention to details and limited passengers.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:09 PM   #68

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

Edit: Or maybe I'm taking Steve too literally...
"Tongue in cheek" . I was being facetious . Payload was ,is and will always be the issue. Many just ignore the facts if they stand in the way of what they want to do. If this thread was about towing an Escape 5.0 T A with a Toyota Tundra , at least that discussion would have some basis in reality.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #69

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
"Tongue in cheek" . I was being facetious . Payload was ,is and will always be the issue. Many just ignore the facts if they stand in the way of what they want to do. If this thread was about towing an Escape 5.0 T A with a Toyota Tundra , at least that discussion would have some basis in reality.
Well, I'm not ignoring the facts. I currently work for the US DOT. I understand the fairly simple science behind towing safely. The reason I asked the question initially is that I have been reading posts on this site for at least a year and many people claim they are able to tow an escape with a Tacoma or Frontier. I wondered how they did it because I would like to do the same. I've concluded the trick to doing it is to ignore the payload issue completely (unsafe) or pay extreme attention to keeping the payload within the acceptable limit (nearly impossible to do in a practical sense). I got my answer. I need to either pick another truck or another trailer.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #70

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
I hesitate to even post again on thread as it has traveled around the solar system and back a few times, but…

Here's the deal for us. Yes, we have a Tacoma. A real one, based in reality. LOL
But let me cut to the chase.

I personally see zero point in pushing any limits on tow capacity, tongue weights, or payload capacities. My thinking is this. Life will absolutely get in the way if one does this. Around the next curve will be a curveball. What is the point of RVing if you cannot make the next grade, or have to leave half the stuff that makes camping fun at home? As one travels, collecting a few things along the way just happens. Just does. Pushing anything to or beyond the limit makes no sense to me whatsoever. Something should "give". Bigger Tug or smaller RV. This isn't "rocket surgery" as the joke goes.

Thus, it is always prudent, it just seems to me, FWIW, is to leave lots of margins on any or all of these various capacities. Posted with a great deal of humor, I trust, as that's how honesty is often best expressed and received. I hope.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 PM   #71

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
I hesitate to even post again on thread as it has traveled around the solar system and back a few times, but…

Here's the deal for us. Yes, we have a Tacoma. A real one, based in reality. LOL
But let me cut to the chase.

I personally see zero point in pushing any limits on tow capacity, tongue weights, or payload capacities. My thinking is this. Life will absolutely get in the way if one does this. Around the next curve will be a curveball. What is the point of RVing if you cannot make the next grade, or have to leave half the stuff that makes camping fun at home? As one travels, collecting a few things along the way just happens. Just does. Pushing anything to or beyond the limit makes no sense to me whatsoever. Something should "give". Bigger Tug or smaller RV. This isn't "rocket surgery" as the joke goes.

Thus, it is always prudent, it just seems to me, FWIW, is to leave lots of margins on any or all of these various capacities. Posted with a great deal of humor, I trust, as that's how honesty is often best expressed and received. I hope.
Agreed. The Tacoma affords no (or nearly no) margin towing an Escape 5.0. Not a good idea. Some people do it though. I didn't mean to stir up so much discussion.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #72

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Oh don't worry about that. Discussion happens And you can never predict when or over what.

I agree that a safety margin is best. I drove a little Toyota Chinook, loaded down over its capacity, all over the country over the last couple years. That thing could go 80mph down the interstate, smooth as anything.

But if I had needed to swerve? Slam on the brakes? It would have been "all over". I put up with the risk and just tried to drive conservatively and defensively. But I don't think I'd do it again...

Sorry I missed your sarcasm Steve
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #73

Name: Dale
Trailer: 1996 Bigfoot 17
Oregon
I purchased our 17' Bigfoot in central Oregon and towed it over the Cascades (Mt. Hood) to Portland with my 2006 4.0 6-speed Tacoma. I estimate the trailer with extras, a few tools, me, and truck canopy was an additional 3,800 to 4,000 lbs. I was constantly downshifting, running high rpms, backing up traffic behind me, and generally felt it was too much weight for the Tacoma. The next week I bought a used 2013 F150 with the 5 liter. No issues now and the same mpg. Just my thoughts. Tacomas are a great reliable truck, but maybe not enough power for towing. Anyway, I sold it for more than I paid for it...
DalePortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:44 PM   #74
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I tow a 4200 lb wet Escape 21 over hill and dale with a Taco rated for 6400 lbs towing with zero problems. Not sure I would want to tow a 5th wheel with it though; loading and dynamics under speed will be different enough to make me ponder, particularly emergency braking since the pin load will transfer force to the front tires and off the rear tires, unlike a regular trailer. Just food for thought.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #75

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
What else do we have to do, besides read and discuss?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 PM   #76

Trailer: Boler
I have a 2008 4dr tacoma with the 4.0. They drink fuel when you tow. They are hard on fuel for a smaller truck. I love Toyotas and I've had many. We have a Bigfoot 17 that we will be towing this year. My good friend has a 4.7 tacoma. His truck is nearly the same as mine in terms of fuel economy. I sometimes wish I would have bought a tundra. Check them out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #77
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmarsh View Post
Well, I'm not ignoring the facts. I currently work for the US DOT. I understand the fairly simple science behind towing safely. The reason I asked the question initially is that I have been reading posts on this site for at least a year and many people claim they are able to tow an escape with a Tacoma or Frontier. I wondered how they did it because I would like to do the same. I've concluded the trick to doing it is to ignore the payload issue completely (unsafe) or pay extreme attention to keeping the payload within the acceptable limit (nearly impossible to do in a practical sense). I got my answer. I need to either pick another truck or another trailer.
I suspect many do what the truck camper folks do, beef up the suspension and go on their merry way.

I'm sure you're aware that two years is about the waiting time for a new Escape so if you are planning for two years from now... Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:09 AM   #78

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I suspect many do what the truck camper folks do, beef up the suspension and go on their merry way.

I'm sure you're aware that two years is about the waiting time for a new Escape so if you are planning for two years from now... Raz
Yes. I've used the escapes for planning purposes since they are about the size and weight of anything I'd be interested in buying. I know about the wait time. I'll be getting a new truck in about 2 years. The trailer may be a good bit later. I don't want to buy a truck that can't handle whatever trailer I buy. I realize its better to buy the trailer first and then the truck, but that's not what I'm going to do since I need a new commuting vehicle and I can't afford more than 1. I also don't have space for two used ones. Whatever I get has to do double duty. I've been shying away from a full sized truck because the traffic lanes on the major highways in Atlanta are very narrow and also because of the reduced gas mileage on most big trucks.

I know about the F150 with ecoboost. On paper it looks like a great choice. Go on youtube and search for" f150 ecoboost problems". There are dozens of videos of extreme carbon deposits, recalls, etc. So, at least initially there were many problems. I don't know if they have them sorted out now or not but it makes me wonder if that engine is a good long term choice.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #79

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
I suspect many do what the truck camper folks do, beef up the suspension and go on their merry way. Raz
Unfortunately this is unsafe and it wears out the vehicle faster. People who say "I've never had a problem" just haven't had the conditions arise that have them "outside the envelope".
Old 04-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #80

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is there not a new f150 ecoboost motor coming out?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape