2nd thoughts on 1985 Tug - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Miami, FL
Hi Mitzi, we have lived in S. FL for 37 years and have yet to end up in a canal. It's pretty hard to find a vehicle other than a basic econobox that doesn't have power windows. I'd say that in the Sunshine State, you're statistically more likely to be hit by lightning (I've come close a couple of times.)

We tow our Casita with an '02 Tundra, with no plans to replace with a newer vehicle. Best vehicle I've ever owned in terms of reliabllity. However, like Jon said, if the vehicle is well-maintained, any vehicle with the towing capacity will get the job done. There are many good options.

DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #16

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Actually it is pretty much true of trailers, vehicles, houses ,even relationships.....
They are commonly not loved because they are the best, they are literally best because they are loved.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #17

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
So the trick is to find a vehicle that has been loved! Seems to me that's the real challenge here. Lots of "professionally reconditioned" junk out there!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #18

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Thanks for all the comments! We'll probably not go with Ford (one engine caught on fire and one just turned the ignition off every 20-40 minutes) I had always thought Toyota, Honda and Nissan superior vehicles, which was why the ratings on that article surprised me. And I'll definitely keep Jeep in in mind too.

Yes, for years our cars have been just BASIC TRANSPORTATION!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
...the ratings on that article surprised me...
Not sure what article you are referring to. I know the Durango got some good press from Consumer Reports recently. That, of course, applies to recent model years.

I honestly haven't seen a lot of trustworthy data out there to assess the performance and reliability of older vehicles beyond 8 years or so. If you know of a source, I'm interested.

That's why I believe a good independent mechanic, who sees hundreds of different vehicles every year and is not tied to a particular brand, is often a helpful source of guidance. Independent mechanics tend to see more older and out-of-warranty vehicles. If you keep your vehicles a long time, as I do, a good one is worth his (or her ) weight in gold! Mine has saved me several thousands in unnecessary repairs that various dealers recommended over the years.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #20

Florida
Having some problems accessing past history on this thing. Pretty sure I googled Tow vehicles for 5000 lb trailer 1998-2004. That's the note on the sticky I finally unearthed. It may have been Consumer Reports.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #21

Florida
I've come to the conclusion that my buddies at the garage know how to work around DH better than I do. They've been giving him reports on the difficulty in finding parts all along. When I brought up the possibility that our guys just might find a part and we'd be on the road and something else go bad that couldn't be replaced, DH chewed on it for a couple weeks and agreed that maybe we shouldn't look to use this one as our tug. Our buddies recommend a used Chevy Tahoe since they know how DH feels about trucks. We'll be picking the van back up tomorrow and hoping for one of those "Big Sale All Vehicles Worth $5,000 Trade In Tow it In Drag it In" types of deals to occur in the next few weeks.