3 LEAF SPRING HELP - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #1

Name: pat
Trailer: MITY LITE
British Columbia
3 LEAF SPRING HELP

Hi. My springs are from 1984 and 'maybe need to be changed? The axle is less than an inch from the bottom of the trailer and when I lightly jump inside the trailer, I feel the bottom floor hitting the axle. That's not good. The curve of the axle measures 28" and the center eye to center is 27". Do these leaves look like they need replacing? There is a slight sag in the floor over the years... I did change over to a 1 inch larger tire/rim last year. Would that have made a difference in height of axle to floor? I've just never noticed how close the axle was to the floor until today. Any 'cheater' way to get another inch or so in height ?Trailer only weighs 900lbs or so. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 9.01.24 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 9.01.38 PM.jpg  

spaghettiroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #2

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Could you remount the axle under the springs?
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

British Columbia
Thanks. Is that common practice? This is not my expertise...
Old 06-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
I believe it is. Pretty sure someone with actual experience will chime in, but I've seen many threads here where people do just that to increase ground clearance. Try some searches.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Sorry, more specifically body clearance to ground and axle. Actual ground clearance to the axle won't change.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

British Columbia
Ok I'll wait for a response. I'd prob get about 2 inches additional im guessing
Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
For additional body height I believe you can add lifting shackles at the ends of the leaves.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #8

British Columbia
Ah now that would make sense if I understand correctly . You mean where the axle eyes are bolted to frame?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Your best bet would be to take it to a spring shop.
Springs that old may be losing their springiness.

The axle could be moved to be under the springs, if you don't mind having the whole thing higher off the ground.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #10

British Columbia
Springs seem to be still quite springy but what do I know ... I did add 1 inch larger tires and rims last year and I'm thinking if that created an issue....
Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM   #11

British Columbia
If axle moved under Springs approx how much more lift would that give?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #12

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiroad View Post
Ah now that would make sense if I understand correctly . You mean where the axle eyes are bolted to frame?

Exactly.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #13

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...options..........
...take to a spring shop and have the springs re-arched...if you remove them yourself, it will save some bux...........

...take to a welding/trailer shop, have them weld new spring pads on top of axle and remount axle below the springs.............

...easiest/bestest...order new springs from someone like etrailer.com or buy locally, along with new hardware and replace... this can also be done at a trailer shop or by any competent mechanic................
madjack

p.s. personally, I wouldn't use taller shackles, for the same reasons I wouldn't use shackles on a vehicle to gain ground clearance (too much/excess flex).......mj
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

British Columbia
great advice ! I'll go with NEW 4 leaf set and that should give me an extra inch or more that I need? I'll need longer U hangers I guess ? Leaves are 27" eye to eye and 1 3/4 thick...I'm wondering if shackles that are present could be removed...
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 11.23.13 AM.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

British Columbia
Rear mounts have a shackle. I could bring them in from 27" to support a 3 leaf 25 1/4" spring?
Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
First thing I'd do is determine whether or not your axle/spring perches are removable, IOW are the perches (the level part that the spring sits/mates to against the axle) welded to the axle? I'm unable to tell from your pix but it appears the axle/springs may already have a spacer of some kind to provide extra 'lift' to the body of the trailer. I'll include a couple of pix of the axle/spring mounts on my 1800# Harbor Freight trailer that I built my teardrop trailer on in 2006. After towing it for quite a few miles I found that my wheels didn't have as much clearance (when hitting a severe bump) as I'd originally thought. Rather than go to the trouble of 'lifting' the entire trailer I just acquired some new, stronger 'U' bolts, added a 1" steel spacer on top of the spring perch between the axle & spring & I had plenty of clearance. My springs were in good shape, nearly new & thus had plenty of 'flex'. I can't enlarge your pix enough to tell if your axle/spring already has a spacer, or if that is merely the axle/spring perch between the axle & spring. If you have welded on spring perches, it will take a skilled tradesman to 'cut' 'em off & reattach to the upper side of the axle so the axle can be bottom mounted to the springs. Many (most?) utility type trailers have the springs mounted below the axle. Those that don't usually have the axle mounted above the spring (as does yours) to provide a lower ride & easier ingress to the trailer. If your spring perches are indeed removable, it's a relatively simple matter to unbolt the springs & 'U' bolts, move the perches around to the top of the axle, & re-mount. You may or may not want the additional height of the spacers. If not, just leave 'em out. My HF trailer originally had the springs mounted below the axle so I had to acquire new, longer 'U' bolts to accommodate the additional height. You probably won't hafta do that unless you need the extra clearance over the axle. In that case I'd just 'hacksaw' the 'U' bolts shorter. If your axle is similar diameter to mine, you'll pick up a couple of inches of clearance just by moving the axle under the springs. Of course my springs are considerably shorter than yours, & have more 'arc'. You can see the original spring perches on my axle, painted red & located just under the spacers. They're welded to the axle. If I wanted to mount the axle above the springs, I think it'd be easier to fabricate new perches & mount them under the axle??

Here's a couple of pix of my trailer with the extra height spacer...

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On your last picture if the axle is being supported by the scissor jack then your springs have not sagged because the rear shackle is vertical and the is at it's maximum height.

So your springs are not sagging, if they were the shackle, that's the part on the rear, would be slanted rearward.

If your axle is straight then just mount it under the springs.

No parts required and easy enough to do.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #18

British Columbia
OK pics show rear shackle slanted rearward ! So that means it's sagging ? I picked up today a couple 4 leafers Their 25 1/4 eye to eye that would work with the adjustable rear shackle? OR can I just adjust rear shackle with present 3 leaf springs? New leaves are easily returnable ! I could even get NEW 3 leaf springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.05.47 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.13.09 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.14.15 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.14.27 PM.jpg  

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.14.37 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.14.48 PM.jpg  

Old 06-25-2017, 04:24 PM   #19

British Columbia
Front end of spring
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 3.13.58 PM.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Post #15, Yes, since the new springs are 25 1/4" that would put the shackles verticle or slightly forward. Both are good.
The shackle is there for when the arched spring flattens out as you go over bumps.
So the picture of the shackle in post #14 does not have the siccor jack supporting the weight of the trailer.

Put the new springs on and be happy!

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote