4 cylinder Tacoma - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Mari
Trailer: Shopping
Michigan
4 cylinder Tacoma

Hello all, I'm shopping for an egg, and would like to stay in my current vehicle if possible but because I'm thinking I might end up as a full timer I don't want to get a 13'. Is it unrealistic to think I could pull a 16 or 17 with my little taco? It's rated 3500#.

I suppose I could start with a 13' and trade up if I found I needed to but if it's at all feasible I'd like to not have to do that. The camper would be for me and my 85 lb. dog.
TIA,
Mari
Mari Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:50 PM   #2

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15a
Minnesota
Mari:

I also have a 4 cylinder Taco, which I love dearly. But you are correct, it does limit your options regarding fiberglass trailers. Currently we have a 13 UHaul, which the Taco pulls without any issues. You probably could pull a 16' Scamp without issues, but it would be slow going on the hills.

BTW: my wife and I travel with two 50plus pound dogs, and yes the 13' camper gets a little crowded.
Lv4toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I hauled a 17LD with a 4 cyl Taco; poor truck spun 4500 rpms up some not all that high hills in the Pacific Coast range. Although it would do fine on the level, before I headed to the Rockies I traded for a V6 Taco rated at 6400 lbs (long bed 4 door.) World of difference as there is an additional gear in the tranny besides the power increase. Now it tows a 4200 lb (loaded) Escape 21 just fine.

The gas mileage towing was only 1 mpg less than the 4 cyl.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Michigan
Yeah, I kind of knew in my heart that inclines would be a problem but I needed to hear it from the professionals. So 13 it is. Thanks, guys.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Being in Michigan, you don't have many long, steep grades to worry about. I would not hesitate to tow a 16' Scamp, Casita, etc with that pickup in your (and formerly my) neck of the woods (I grew up near Standish). Is it an automatic transmission or manual, by the way? The thing to do would be to take it easy... keep it around 55 mph or 60 max on the flats, and let the rig slow down on tough climbs rather than pushing it to maintain full speed. If an automatic, you'd want to tow with overdrive locked out to keep the tranny from overheating.

The 13' and 16' eggs will have practically the same frontal area and wind resistance, making them tow similarly. The greater weight of a 16' mainly will come into play with initial acceleration and with climbing hills.

Before heading to the Appalachians or the Rockies, you'd probably want to upgrade the tug.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Being in Michigan, you don't have many long, steep grades to worry about. I would not hesitate to tow a 16' Scamp, Casita, etc with that pickup in your (and formerly my) neck of the woods (I grew up near Standish). Is it an automatic transmission or manual, by the way? The thing to do would be to take it easy... keep it around 55 mph or 60 max on the flats, and let the rig slow down on tough climbs rather than pushing it to maintain full speed. If an automatic, you'd want to tow with overdrive locked out to keep the tranny from overheating.

The 13' and 16' eggs will have practically the same frontal area and wind resistance, making them tow similarly. The greater weight of a 16' mainly will come into play with initial acceleration and with climbing hills.

Before heading to the Appalachians or the Rockies, you'd probably want to upgrade the tug.
Well, Mike, you're not the only one wanting to escape Michigan! Winters, that is. I'm originally from the Thumb and passed by Standish many a time on the way up north. You can't beat Michigan in the summertime, if you can stand the skeeters, but the winters are getting old. Or maybe it's just me getting old. But some of my friends and also immediate family have moved out West, so that's where I'm looking to wander around and they do have grades out there.

My taco is an automatic, so that's another strike against me but I've heard about how to not let the tranny hunt. I'm so happy to have found this website today and look forward to bombarding you all with more questions!
Old 05-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Treat yourself to a new V6 Tacoma and add a nice 17 footer for full time luxury!

Life is too short to endure life in a tiny trailer...your dog will thank you!

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I take the opposite view. Start with what you have. Buy a decent used 16'er (or even a 13'er if you want). Try it out for a season.

You may find out that full-timing is just not for you, in which case, your investment is minimal and easily recovered.

And if it is, your experiences that first year will inform your decision about whether you need a larger trailer and tug.

BTW, a Casita 17 is not much bigger inside than a Scamp 16, but much heavier. Main difference is the Casita has a larger bed, but for one person, that's not an issue. I would want a bathroom for long-term use- gives you more options to camp.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Outfitter truck campper
Colorado
Hi Mari,
I drove a 2.4L, 4 cyl Toyota pickup (manual) back in the days before they even had tow ratings about 5,000 miles towing a two horse, dual axle trailer. No horses, but it did have a lot of camping gear in it and wood beds, etc. I'm guessing I must have been towing about 3,000 lbs. with that little truck. Under powered for sure, but it wasn't a problem at all really. With the automatic, you won't have to worry about burning up a clutch. Change the AT fluid before you leave. An aftermarket AT cooler is about $70 and you can install yourself easily. Try to set your truck up with a brake controller and find a trailer with brakes. I found having the trailer brakes was what really made the trip doable, and taking back roads and keeping the speed down due to the small truck actually made the trip more enjoyable.

On the other hand, if you see yourself needing to get places fast on interstates, a bigger tow rating for your TV would be indicated as previously mentioned.

Happy trails!
TomandCallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari Kirk View Post
Hello all, I'm shopping for an egg, and would like to stay in my current vehicle if possible but because I'm thinking I might end up as a full timer I don't want to get a 13'. Is it unrealistic to think I could pull a 16 or 17 with my little taco? It's rated 3500#.

I suppose I could start with a 13' and trade up if I found I needed to but if it's at all feasible I'd like to not have to do that. The camper would be for me and my 85 lb. dog.
TIA,
Mari
Horsepower is just a number. It takes Torque to pull the load. If your owners manual says it is rated for 3500# you can handle a 16 ft Scamp, even the deluxe model. Just learn how to downshift on the uphill and downhill grades (I assume it's an automatic) ... even if its a stick shift.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #11

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
We towed a basic Scamp 13, no bath, no A/C all over the south last winter during a snowbirding tryout. 6300 miles all told.

I may have missed which Tacoma you have, we have the 2015 PreRunner with 2.7L. The truck can handle the 13' in stopping and bumps very, very well. What it cannot do well is tow up grades well. Really too many RPM's for too long a period of time. In tough head wind conditions, the results were equally poor. There's just too much truck and trailer and not enough torque being generated. My experience says if you want a 16', get a V-6 Ford or Toyota or Canyon or whatever floats your boat. For a 17' Casita, don't even being to think about it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1876.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari Kirk View Post

TIA,
Mari
-----------------------------( *****)--------------------------------
Mari, there are some varied opinions there, here are mine. I towed a 13' Scamp with a 4 cyl 5 sp stick Tacoma, it did fine even on steep grades. I towed a 16' Scamp and got the same gas mileage ( 18 + mpg) on the highway due to the same profile. I never had it on steep grades. My Ranger V6 (3.0 ) 5 sp auto tows the Scamp 13' easily, even when loaded but gets 15-16 mpg. 2-3 mpg sounds insignificant, but it is a large %. I often travel looong distances; if you do more camping than driving it should not be a concern. And newer trucks may get better mileage than my older ones. Also: In relation to the post today about the lady wanting to be able to off road and boondock in a 13' , I don't think she means crossing streams and ridges. I have towed by 13' Scamp on BLM land with no problem, it just takes confidence and slow speeds. But she doesn't want to get hung up somewhere: she hopefully is talking more about primetive campgrounds and unimproved BLM ( or Walmart ! ) camping ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Treat yourself to a new V6 Tacoma and add a nice 17 footer for full time luxury!

Life is too short to endure life in a tiny trailer...your dog will thank you!

Happy Camping !

Thats my thinking as well!

My dog does indeed appreciate a larger trailer and a more comfortable tow vehicle!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #14

Michigan
Hi All! Thanks to your input I've ruled out a 16 or 17 for now. I'm not able to swing a V6 at this time and anyway, my 2.7L 2014 gets 26-28 mpg, so not ready to give that up. I am planning to install an a/t cooler. On the road I don't need to go any faster than a mosey so mostly staying off expressways is no problem.

And if I decide to go full time then I'll sell my house and do an all around upgrade.

So, for now, I'm on the lookout for a smallish used egg camper. They get scooped up real fast, I've noticed.

Thanks!
Mari
Old 05-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
When we retired , we bought a 1999 Scamp 16 ft which we towed with an anemic 1999 6 cylinder truck . We stayed off the 65/70 MPH freeways and if you plan a little you can avoid driving when traffic is heavy and your slower speeds cause issues. Driving 55 MPH on state /County roads will make getting there take a little longer but it is far less hectic and you don't get as many one finger salutes.. I for one worry more about getting there safely and a lot less about gas mileage but to each their own.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 AM   #16

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Late to the Party

Also own a 4 cyl. Tacoma, 5 spd. manual. 2.7L

Last year I spent 3 months and 8,000 miles towing my 13 ft. Trillium with no issues all the way to the end of the road - North to the Arctic Circle and beyond.

No dog, but two of us on the trip. Yes, it's slow going up hills in 3rd gear and if there are any vehicles behind I would find a safe place to pull over and let them pass.

My truck is a 2006 and has 100,000 miles on it so far. Next big trip will be across Canada and back with the trailer in 2018.

This is my 3rd 4 cyl Toyota pickup. Properly maintained they go forever. My gas mileage towing was around 19 mpg. Usually, 26 combined without the tow. The newer Tacoma's, even the 6 cylinders get better mileage than that, though!

Try out your present 4 cyl. with a 13 ft. FG and see how you like it. Remember, the truck is already paid for now! (I'm assuming.)
Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #17

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Being able to pull a load is only half the equation. More importantly, you have to be able to safely STOP that load, too, especially in an emergency situation.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Being able to pull a load is only half the equation. More importantly, you have to be able to safely STOP that load, too, especially in an emergency situation.
That's why trailer brakes are important, especially with a smaller tug. Appropriately sized and properly adjusted trailer brakes will stop the trailer with minimal additional burden on the vehicle's brakes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #19

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Braking with Tacoma

Prior to the Trillium I had a tent trailer that weighed more and had electric brakes which worked well with the Tacoma. Since getting the Trillium I've haven't felt the need, yet. Having a standard transmission and using the engine braking really helps, but of course not in an emergency.

Have only had to stomp on the binders once with the trailer attached and it felt comfortable, although that was on a gravel road.

I believe how you drive has a lot to do with it too!

When/if I change to a larger tire size and raise the trailer I will probably have brakes installed just for that extra insurance.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbinBC View Post
Have only had to stomp on the binders once with the trailer attached and it felt comfortable, although that was on a gravel road.
Wait till you have to stop fast on a corner, or when the road is wet. Then you might see just how important trailer brakes really are as the trailer spins your truck around. It's bad advice to imply they're not needed if you just drive correctly. Trailer brakes are very important.