4 Cylinder vehicle towing, power and millage. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #21

Name: Jean-Pierre
Trailer: Boler
Saskatchewan
Registry
Towing is relative....

I think in large part it's what you are used too. I have pulled my 13ft Boler, with a 94 Mazda 626 4cyl 5 speed, I only used 4th, unless had momentum in the mountains and would use 5th... I also pulled it with my 93 Toyota Camry 4cyl AT with Electronic controled tow package... I have used a 2004 GM 1500, that was the best... Obviously... It did not even know there was a trailer. I think nthe largest killer is that with the smaller engine you demand even more from it with the trailer, big or small. The smaller engines have the power to move your vehicle with efficiency, but when you add a trailer you notice a larger drop in mileage. With the larger vehicle or engine you use more gasoline while not towing and see a lesser drop while towing, usually. Of course wind and terrain play a factor... I will now be using a Mazda 6 6cyl that has manual override on the tranny, so I will prob keep it in 5th, I have to check the ratios and rpm, but I think at the moment using the 6th gear will not happen, just to treat the care with TLC. Here is the way I see it. Tow with something that you feel comfortable with! And meets the requirements for your trailer. I think you would do fine with the Subaru, many people have towed with it and have great things to say. Just remember be confident on the road and you will be happy on the road, what's an extra tank of gas when you could be squished like a sardine on aircanada or south west, or what ever you fly! Windows down, fresh air, open road and no rush to the destination, that's part of the vacation for me... Enjoy the summer and put your feet up for a fire when you get to your destination, who knows maybe a beer or scotch and a cigar... Take care!
jp
Old 04-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
My general shifting rule is to not let the RPM droop below 2000 RPM on the CRV, maybe a little higher if we're heading up a long hill. With this rule everything seems fine with the Honda.

Towing effects our MPGs by about 5 mpg, not bad since we typically get 28.

I will say RV travel has taught me to live with a different pace. Though we could fly home in 3 hours on SW form under $150 each, taking 10 days of 150 miles each will be a lot more fun and interesting. There's a lot to see between here and there. One rarely makes memories on planes.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I haul my Scamp 16 (2600 lbs loaded) with either my Dodge Dakota V8, or my Subaru Outback flat 4. The Dodge is rated at 19 Hwy MPG and it drops 25% to about 14.5 when pulling the Scamp (best was 15 MPG). The Subaru is rated 26 Hwy MPG and it drops 29% to about 18.5 when pulling the Scamp (best was 20.5). Either one pulls the Scamp fairly easily on the rolling hills in GA but I haven't tried the Subaru on BIG hills yet.
I have not had any problems with maintaining 60 MPH on the interstate (that's all I want to get up to since the ST tires are limited to 65). Once I get to the Rockies it may be a whole different outlook on using the Subaru on mountain passes, but I think the lighter 13 should not be a problem.
If I had to trim down to just one vehicle, I would probably keep the Subaru since it actually exceeds the EPA MPG rating solo and routinely gets 28-30 even with AWD, and I drive more miles solo that I do towing. Even when towing it gets as good as the Dakota does solo.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonjk
And for the Scion XB, I'd love to see that thing on the road some day, sweet combo!!
It's an xD not an xB... But I think it's a pretty good combo! Unless something changes... My next car will be a Subaru. Might trade in the Scion in a few months when it is paid off and still worth something for trade-in. It will have close to 80,000 miles on it's 3rd birthday.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #25

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
I have a Toyota, too... but it's a little smaller than your Tacoma. Mine is a Scion xD. It has a 128 hp 1.8 liter four. It tows my 13' Scamp pretty well. 5th gear all the time, unless I'm going up a long hill. There's a little planning involved... you need to downshift before you start losing speed. You'll learn to anticipate it.

My car averages 35 MPG... and up to 40 MPG if I baby it. EPA highway mileage is rated at 33 MPG. I get about 24 MPG towing the Scamp.

I probably wouldn't tackle the Rockies with this setup, but I have driven through the hills of western MD and PA just fine.
Really like the look of the Scoin xD it was not available in our location 'Canada' at the time of purchase. Our mileages are very similar to yours. The Corolla is automatic so we have as transaxle cooler. Have a bit more hp; but a bit more trailer.
Trailer brakes and WD system are required with our setup. Like your setup. Rockies would not be a good idea with the Corolla either but the Niagara Escarpment is just fine.

We pull at 80 km to 85 km (55 mph max) even with old setup. Can not imagine pulling at 100 kph or 60 mph with our 4cyl. Faster and the gas cost would be brutal "current price of $1.376 L or $5.50 US gal" not to mention stress on the car pushing all that air.

If they want to let them pass and those that push it hope they have xray glass's
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Borden,
Our Honda CRV's four cylinder is a little beefier than your's, a 2.4 L rather than a 1.8L. We have used it to cross the Rockies, towing our Sunline 15.5. The Sunline was about the same weight as our Scamp 16, but did not have nearly the air friendly shape of the Scamp.

Like you we tow at speeds in the 50's, occasionally reaching 60 mph on some Interstates. I do find it easier on me to drive at slower speeds, definitely a more enjoyable trip.

Safe Travels,

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #27

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Norm,
We have the newer larger Corolla parked beside CRV last week while shopping close to same height and length but CRV is a bit narrower than the Corolla, looks like a nice looking TV. You have more hp than us; we purchase the car new to pull the boler trailer after considering our needs and the mileages of the different TV options.

We avoid 400 class highways (Interstates) as will not drive at posted 100 kph / 62 mph with the trailer and the average speed is about 120 kph plus or 75 mph, beyond the st tire speed rating for traffic even in slow lane.

Better to be safe and smell the roses; not to mention the effect on mileage. The Rocky's may work as the car is fully outfitted but will not try it mostly due to distance; we have a 4 day drive just to get to Winnipeg.

Really like the air friendly shape of the boler.
The experts that I talked to all said it is more about the air we push when the trailer is under 4000 lbs.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #28

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I tried driving at 50 mph, but the car seems to struggle less at 55 mph due to the RPMs being a little higher. Just got back from a 180 mile trip, which included lots of stop and go traffic in and around Washington DC. The display says 25 MPG (US) but it will probably turn out to be more like 23-24 MPG. The display is a little optimistic.