4 cylinders trend. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
People I have known that towed with a turbo charged gasoline engine had terrible ,results. With the turbo almost always engaged, they quickly fried the turbos.
Though I do not know the reason why, turbo diesels are fine, if not better for towing then non-turbo diesels.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #16

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sounds about on par with an old 4.9L Ford!
Perhaps, but most likely not at 30.2 MPG (EU numbers, no urea injection here) highway.

George.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Perhaps, but most likely not at 30.2 MPG (EU numbers, no urea injection here) highway.

George.
No, but 24-25MPG was not uncommon for my Econoline with three kids and our trailer with all camping gear. The 10-20% higher diesel price would make up most of the difference, and the price difference between the two trucks would have bought the gas for the first 100,000 miles.
The point really is that many diesel buyers are blind to the fact that there are both pro and con factors to consider.
A moot point since there is nothing like either engine being offered new today.If I were to buy a Sprinter,it would fersher be a 2006 or older, and I would look for the little one.(which is still larger than i'd ever need)

Nice truck, and I hear the 4th generation Econoline may soon be replaced with something similar to the Sprinter.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
People I have known that towed with a turbo charged gasoline engine had terrible ,results. With the turbo almost always engaged, they quickly fried the turbos.
Though I do not know the reason why, turbo diesels are fine, if not better for towing then non-turbo diesels.
The turbo is always "engaged" while the engine is running. The only real problem,(on older turbos)is not running under a load so much, as it is failing to do cooldown before shutdown, which can cause the shaft on the turbo to coke-off.
Eco-boost engines are also a bit more sophisticated than those from the days of yore.
I did a turbo on an RX7 and an SVT turbo in a Pinto sedan, both cars would redline in overdrive. While neither was used for towing, each car saw triple digits regularly.
Turbos on diesels aren't always fine, the parts suppliers keep them in stock.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #19

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sometimes "change for the sake of change" can be a mistake.Keep your older model Sprinter since it's 6CYL replacement is not up to the task in comparison to your 5CYL.
We have already agreed on this in person remember?

I have never considered moving away from the T1N platform as the new version is a lot more powerful but not nearly as simple and reliable,well maybe simple is not the right way to describe them anyway.

I get around 30mpg around town with my tools in there and still over 24mpg the times I have towed.

I also drive it very conservatively and mine has been completely reliable too.

I do have the "Baby" model and a good friend has a longer and taller one that I drove Today,no comparison really.
Mine is like a sports car and his is like a giant bus?

If its not broke,do not fix it!

Ed