4% tongue weight is fine... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: J
Isle of Wight
4% tongue weight is fine...

..in the UK.

Read the whole article before responding!
https://jalopnik.com/tow-me-down-1609112611/1609771499

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
My 2.0 TDI Jetta Sportwagen towed my heavy 16 Scamp just fine.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Sure the center of gravity needs to be in front of the trailer wheels. The 10% rule forces people who can't understand that to do it anyway.

However there are some other factors: 1. The length of the overhang from the tow vehicle's rear axle to the articulation point (hitch ball). And 2. The length of the trailer in front of it's axle(s) to the articulation point (AKA tongue length). 3. The ratio between one and two is very important. (the longer 1. is and/or the shorter 2. is, the less stable the combination is) You need a longer trailer tongue!

4. The strength (stiffness) of the tow vehicle's suspension and tires. And 5. The strength (stiffness) of the trailer's suspension and tires. (a mushy suspension on either one or both decreases stability.

To expound on the latter a little bit: A 3,300 lb total weight trailer with a 3,500 lb capacity axle and tires is LESS STABLE than a 3,300 lb total weight trailer with a 5,200 lb capacity axle and tires. Doesn't matter if the trailer is a tandem axle trailer, the same thing applies if it is loaded to 90% of it's axles capacity vs 60% of the axles capacity, the trailer itself is less stable. Same applies to the axle capacity of the tow vehicle. A one ton truck is more stable than a 1/2 ton truck when both are towing identical weight trailers.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #4

Florida
The European cars also are required to have the car's stability system include trailer dynamics as well as the bare cars.
My VW installation included the VW trailer module that connected the trailer lights and detected the presence of the trailer and modified the computer algorithms in the engine cooling and fuel, transmission and ABS.
Currently many of the US cars sold or designed in Europe have had the stability Incorporated into the cars that they sell here as well.
The smaller Fords are in this category and to achieve their published ratings must have the trailer systems installed at the factory so that the programming can be done. Merely adding the hitch will not give the higher ratings when done by the dealer.
By the way it was a trial getting the proper wiring and modules for the VW, but when I installed them the car recognized that there was a trailer attached and the car reacted differently.
The VW TDI was rated 95 KG towbar weight and 1800 KG towing weight with the module (In Europe).
I never felt that power was an issue and the handling was very good as well.
I don't think that I was ever in a position that the stabilization came into play, but it was there.
One drawback of the European system for our way of thinking is that most of their trailers have surge brakes, usually mechanical. US style electric brake controllers have to be added to their system.
I used the P3 unit and was and still am well pleased with it.
If VW had not recalled the VW 2.0 TDI I would still be towing with it.
We got enough for the VWs that we were able to replace the TV with the Chrysler T&C which also has a trailer module with the factory towing setup, probably because they sell the mini-van in Europe as well.
I think it is available with a Diesel over there as well.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jd that is amazing! I don't think my jetta sedan was capable of this but maybe it was now I wish I had played with it some!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #6

Missouri
been tenting 4x to europe

jd

I saw a lot of luxury cars towing in Europe those 100k Mercedes pulling a trailer amazed me but the trailers were not very big.

they for some reason don't back in they have a motorized tongue unhook and put the trailer lengthwise in their space I never understood this!

they do have a funny looking trailer ball set-up on their cars by the way!

bob
Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Florida
I had the Westfalia hitch and they might be considered a little obscene from some angles.
Like surge breaks here they have to have a reverse lockout to backup the trailer.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #8

Missouri
jd didn't that sportwagon have a more powerful engine in it?

bob
Old 04-02-2018, 02:43 PM   #9

Florida
The 2.0 TDI had 140 hp but 270 lbs ft torque.
My T&C has 283 hp and close to the same torque at 260.
Little difference in towing ability as the torque does the pulling.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

Missouri
got it

ok jd I got it I still find it amazing but I didn't try any towing with my jetta! but I did some with my 1983 rabbit diesel now that was fun

bob
Old 04-02-2018, 03:23 PM   #11

Florida
Bob, I assume that you are a Ham Radio guy.
KE4MD here

Tags
weight