4Runner SR5 comes standard with Tow Package ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Raj
Trailer: Escape Trailer - SOLD
Florida
4Runner SR5 comes standard with Tow Package ??

I am looking into a 5th generation 4Runner... i.e 2010 on wards. It is a V6, RWD/4WD, automatic.

My question is does the Tow Package come standard ?? ..i.e Transmission Cooler, Engine cooler, a high powered coupler, alternator... etc..etc I am not sure what else comprises the Tow Package.

Keeping aside what ever the salesman says, can I just install a class III Hitch, a Tekonsha Brake Controller to a base 4Runner SR5 and assume I am ready for towing or is it more involved.

Please advise, all & any feed back is appreciated.
disneydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
All Canadian models supposedly have the tow package as standard. Not so for US models. There are two methods one can use to determine if the tow package is present. Run the vehicle VIN through one of the on line VIN interpreters or best yet call Toyota with the VIN and have them interpret it for you. Second, make a visual inspection of the vehicle looking for an extra radiator for the tranny cooler and a 7 pin Bargmann plug at the hitch.

There is a third method that never works and that is to ask the salesperson!

There are other possibilities such as the original window sticker or if coming from a Toyota dealer they can print a number of reports that will show it.

I would opt to make a phone call.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
I have a Toyota 4Runner SR5 that I bought new several years ago. I had to special order it at the time because no one had one with what I wanted on it. I did order it with the towing package.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks JBB & Paul,
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
With the VIN number as suggested above you can go into or call your local Toyota dealer parts counter to see how the vehicle was equipped. If you go into the parts dept in person they will print out for you a vehicle option listing for that vehicle.

You will then know exactly what options and standard equipment was on the particular Toyota vehicle you are looking at.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #6

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The only "basic" in the list you wrote would be the transmission cooler, if you just created your own "towing package". Sure, ideally a higher output alternator and stuff like that would be nice, but to give you an idea:

On my 98 Tacoma, there was no tow package. Just your typical cold weather pickup (meaning it does have a more powerful starter and maybe a couple other things). It could tow 3500 as-is, from the bumper. With a hitch it's 5,000.

I added a brake controller, hitch and air bags in the rear suspension. The air bags make a huge difference but aren't necessary. Mine is a 5 speed but had it been an auto, I would have needed to install a transmission cooler.

I pull a 17' Bigfoot which is likely between 3,000-4,000 pounds, and doesn't exactly have an aerodynamic profile. I don't know what the tow capacity is for a late model 4Runner but it at least has a much more powerful engine than my 3.4L V6. My truck pulls (and stops) my Bigfoot just fine.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:43 AM   #7

Florida
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

At this point, I am leaning towards keeping the Lexus RX350 (With Tow package 3500 lbs) to tow the 17B back to Florida from Chilliwack, Canada.

I will revisit upgrading to a 5000 lb towing capacity TV depending how it does during the Trip home.

Thanks again
Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
We pull our 17' boler with a 2012 and don't have any issues. Pulled it in the mountains in the heat of summer also without issue. The only items it came with was the plug for the trailer in the back under the bumper and after I did some digging, I found a connector for the brake controller. I think I had to buy an adapter from the dealership, but after that it was basically plug and play.
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
2014 4Runner tow package

We had a 2014 4Runner for pulling our Casita 17FD. It came standard with the transmission cooler, 7 and 4 pin connectors, towing hitch good up to 500 lbs tongue weight and is rated to tow 5000lbs. It also has the plug for the brake controller, but we added the controller. Our trailer hitch weighed 420 lbs, so I added Timbren suspension enhancers to reduce the back end sag to about 1 inch. We used a standard hitch (no WDH) and a sway control bar.

We towed the Casita about 25,000 miles including Rocky Mountain National Park, west coast, east coast and Canada. For normal flat highway driving we got about 16 mpg. It was the perfect TV for the Casita.

We are purchasing an Escape 21, so traded the 4Runner in for a Tundra. The Escape is right at the limit of the 4Runner towing capacity and we decided we wanted the extra power for the mountains.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote