5th wheel hitch and crew cab setup - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Just called Scamp Parts Dept. and the new hitch is $495 plus freight but I'm going with it just for ease of mind. Thanks again for your hep on this subject.

Ray in TN

Old 07-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Nice

I went back and reread my previous correspondence with Scamp and you are correct they are $495+shipping. Not sure where I got the upper $500's number from. Also not sure if that included the rails. I am looking for a used Reese hitch and will then weld some 3" stock across the top to mount a ball on.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2007 Toyota Tundra/2015 Tundra
Montana
Registry
We are to going with a Reese hitch so that we can also pull our sticky 5ver. The beauty of your husband being the manager of a major trailer manufacturer.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #18

Hitch is installed and did the first pull with it when I brought it home and everything worked fine. However, it is still 'nose up' when connected. I talked to Scamp about the sidewall clearance (48" max.) and they said I shouldn't have a problem but if I did, I might have to 'flip the axle' for some extra (3") height on the trailer. Can anyone tell me what is involved in 'flipping the axle?'
Old 08-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #19

Registry
Is the hitch adjustable? I have the new style hitch "converted 5th wheel hitch" and it is height adjustable. If you can't adjust yours try going to 14 inch tires. I put on 205 r 14's and it raised it a good couple of inches.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #20

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Is it welded in place?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #21

Registry
Nothing on mine is wielded. We cut the ears that hold the "swivel bar" off the top of the 5er hitch. Bought 5/8 steel cut to length and width ($40). Had holes drilled in the new steel to match holes in the top of the 5er hitch which were widened and then bolted on with # 8 strength bolts ($50 at machine shop). Then drilled for the ball and it works like magic. I have over 4k miles on it now and couldn't be happier. I did pay $150 for a used 5er hitch because mine was a slider hitch and too bulky. I also had rails already installed from pulling my 19' Aljo. Not cheap!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #22

As far as I can tell, nothing is adjustable on the hitch. It is either mounted with pins locking it in or off/out of the bed.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #23

Registry
No bolts on the side that will line up with holes at varying heights? My Reese, and every other Reese I've seen, has bolts on the sides that allow me to raise or lower the height of the mounting platform.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
I'm considering a Scamp 5th wheel but I read that the side rails of the tow vehicle can't exceed 48" in height (from the ground, presumably). My 2008 F-150 has side rails 55" above the ground. Is that a showstopper? Is the only option to use a different tow vehicle?
Old 10-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #25

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
cstonick - You can raise the camper.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #26

Name: Charlie
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
I read that I can flip the axle and get an add'l 3-1/2" and increase tires to 14" and get another 1-1/2" but that still leaves a very tight clearance between the rails and the underside of the loft, especially on driveways. Is there any other tweaks that I can consider?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #27

Registry
"I read that I can flip the axle and get an add'l 3-1/2" and increase tires to 14" and get another 1-1/2" but that still leaves a very tight clearance between the rails and the underside of the loft, especially on driveways. Is there any other tweaks that I can consider?"

These are welded to the frame torsion arm type suspensions there is no flipping like on a leaf spring suspension. You can get a small amount of adjustment but not nearly enough for what you are looking at. You could switch it over to a leaf spring or possibly add some spacers and 15" wheels and tires.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstonick View Post
I'm considering a Scamp 5th wheel but I read that the side rails of the tow vehicle can't exceed 48" in height (from the ground, presumably). My 2008 F-150 has side rails 55" above the ground. Is that a showstopper? Is the only option to use a different tow vehicle?
Hi: cstonick...Check out the Escape 5.0.Escape Trailer Industries > Home Lots of Texans towin' them with F150's. We have the Escape axle lift on our 5.0 which came with a GMC Sierra PU. We now have a Nissan 4X4 so there's even more room under the 5th.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Together again.jpg   Ready to get hitched.jpg