5th wheel hitch & Tacoma composite beds - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Here it is. You need a gooseneck hitch to use it. They're friendly to talk to, but I couldn't see the sense in trying to get something to fit the scamp hitch.

http://www.andersenhitches.com/Catal...onnection.aspx

Here's my solution:

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Here it is. You need a gooseneck hitch to use it. They're friendly to talk to, but I couldn't see the sense in trying to get something to fit the scamp hitch.

Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Thanks Jared. I had seen that before, but it slipped my mind.

You don't actually need a gooseneck hitch to use it. One version sits on the box floor and is tied down to a "gooseneck" ball mount point, but the other mounts to on-floor rails, like many fifth-wheel hitches. For the Tacoma which is the subject of this thread, the right version is the one which mounts to rails (which can be supported by frame brackets), because the "gooseneck" version puts all the load on the box floor.

Although Andersen sells a coupler to convert the kingpin of fifth-wheel trailers, there's no need to use it with the Scamp 19', which already has a coupler for a ball... but the size still needs to be matched.

I don't see any indication that it has anything but a 2-5/16" ball available, so if it is not a generic stud-mounted ball, it may be necessary to convert the Scamp 19' to a 2-5/16" coupler. That conversion would be easy, have no adverse consequences (other than the cost to do it and small weight increase), and it would be a good opportunity to do a better job of coupler mounting than the factory setup.
Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #17

Kansas
I spoke to them. They said they would custom make a 2" ball for $40 (iirc). I still say to make the scamp a proper fifth wheel and quit adapting everything to it.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I have the same uneasy feeling with my Subaru hitch. Sometimes you just have to believe.
Hey, Raz!
Can you explain just what we're looking at here?

I'm very interested in the way hitch receivers are attached to different vehicles and rarely encounter actual pictures, but they're too close-in for me to figure out what's what...

Thanks, I hope!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 AM   #19

Kansas
My subaru hitch required the shield to be trimmed away on one side, and put on the bottom of the hitch, on the other. There's nothing between the receiver and the frame.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles

Hey, Raz!
Can you explain just what we're looking at here?

I'm very interested in the way hitch receivers are attached to different vehicles and rarely encounter actual pictures, but they're too close-in for me to figure out what's what...

Thanks, I hope!

Francesca
The Subaru Forester has two tubes that run underneath from about the rear seat to the back of the vehicle . On a truck, they would be the frame. When the bumper is removed, the open ends are exposed (first picture below). After the mufflers are removed, the hitch is installed by fishing bolts through the end of each tube (second picture below) and out the bottom. The problem you are having is because the pictures I have shown are 1) after and then before installation and 2) opposite sides. Standing on your head might help as might identifying the heat shield and the rubber muffler hanger in each original photo. Four bolts ( two per side) through the sheet metal tubes are what fasten the hitch to the vehicle. Fortune favors the bold . Raz
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #21

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: P. Raz... For every angle... there's usually a hitch!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #22

Registry
Quote:
The Subaru Forester has two tubes that run underneath from about the rear seat to the back of the vehicle . On a truck, they would be the frame. When the bumper is removed, the open ends are exposed (first picture below). After the mufflers are removed, the hitch is installed by fishing bolts through the end of each tube (second picture below) and out the bottom. The problem you are having is because the pictures I have shown are 1) after and then before installation and 2) opposite sides. Standing on your head might help as might identifying the heat shield and the rubber muffler hanger in each original photo. Four bolts ( two per side) through the sheet metal tubes are what fasten the hitch to the vehicle. Fortune favors the bold . Raz
Did you run outside and take that all apart just for me, you big ol' hunka hunka sweetie pie, you? ...

I think I'm starting to get the picture...do you mean that the hitch has a couple of arms that slide into the channels for their full length, and it's those that the bolts go to? I'd love to see pics of the before-installed hitch itself, hint, hint...

I can wait if you haven't gotten to the "put it back together" stage yet!

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 01-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #23
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Did you run outside and take that all apart just for me, you big ol' hunka hunka sweetie pie, you? ...

I think I'm starting to get the picture...do you mean that the hitch has a couple of arms that slide into the channels for their full length, and it's those that the bolts go to? I'd love to see pics of the before-installed hitch itself, hint, hint...

I can wait if you haven't gotten to the "put it back together" stage yet!

Thanks!

Francesca
Pictures are from last June. The hitch is the black thing with the two bolts in it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Pictures are from last June. The hitch is the black thing with the two bolts in it.
Yeah- I was kidding!

This is the only pic showing a "black thing with two bolts in it"- do those bolts go through to whatever it is that "slides into the tubes" that you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!

Francesca

Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Yeah- I was kidding!

This is the only pic showing a "black thing with two bolts in it"- do those bolts go through to whatever it is that "slides into the tubes" that you mentioned earlier?

Thanks!

Francesca

Nope. You feed a piece of wire with a coil at the end through holes in the bottom of the tube and out the back, thread the bolts into the coil one at a time and pull them into the tube and they hang down. When all 4 bolts are in place you lift the hitch up and thread nuts on the bolts. Tighten, torque and you're done. Removing the rear bumper and mufflers was the hard part. If you are really interested, etrailer has a video although they do it the hard way. Raz
Old 01-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Nope. You feed a piece of wire with a coil at the end through holes in the bottom of the tube and out the back, thread the bolts into the coil one at a time and pull them into the tube and they hang down. When all 4 bolts are in place you lift the hitch up and thread nuts on the bolts. Tighten, torque and you're done. Removing the rear bumper and mufflers was the hard part. If you are really interested, etrailer has a video although they do it the hard way. Raz
This is the way the factory hitch is meant to be installed???? Yikes!

I'd love to see the E-trailer vid- got a link to the one you mean?

Thanks!

Francesca
Old 01-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
This is the way the factory hitch is meant to be installed???? Yikes!

I'd love to see the E-trailer vid- got a link to the one you mean?

Thanks!

Francesca
The factory hitch bolts to the 3 studs surrounding the tube with a stiffener that feeds into the tube. The after market hitches all bolt to the bottom of the tube. While I removed the bumper, the etrailer folks place the bolts in the tube a little differently..... Don't forget to make pop corn.

Trailer Hitch for 2012 Subaru Forester - Curt 13147
Old 01-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #28

Registry
Thanks, Raz!

VERY interesting...and I'll bet it would be even more interesting if I'd been able to get the sound to work. (Hubby's been fiddling with the computer speakers again )
But I could pretty much see how the Curt goes on. I think both your and their methods of getting the bolts on are pretty clever!

You mention that the OEM hitch comes with a "stiffener"- what does that look/install like? (I'd look it up myself except I'm not a member at the Subaru site.)

Are you at all concerned about not having that stiffener? I know your Trillium's less than 2,000 and doesn't need a w/d, but still...those four bolts/washers do look as if there'd be considerable concentration of the load at those points.

Thanks again...

Francesca