7 pin RV plug installation in 2013 Ford Escape with factory tow package - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Did you ever figure out the wire to the brake switch yet?

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks Rick & Eddie. I figured it had to help, as I could not find anything on the web. So, I took plenty of pics while freezing my rear end off in my below freezing unheated garage yesterday!

This is the brake controller I'm using: NAPA AUTO PARTS

Again, the only thing NOT hooked up is that brake wire to the controller. Ford (in their wisdom) did not have a standardized wire for the cold side of the brake switch. It could be this color or that color, or maybe this or maybe that. That's okay. I got all the other stuff done, wiring is hid best I can, and somebody that knows what they're doing can hook up that brake wire to my controller harness.

My F-150 did not come with a hitch or tow package of any kind. Nevertheless, it came plug ready for a 7 pin, both out back and under the dash for a controller. The only reason I can imagine Ford did not do this for their 3500# tow capacity Escape is so it wouldn't cut into F-150 sales. Really? An F-150 was not even close to being on Gail's radar screen.

I can't wait to tow the ParkLiner with the Escape. We love the car, even if it was a pain to wire the 7 pin...

Frank

Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #16

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Did you ever figure out the wire to the brake switch yet?

Rick
No I have not Rick. My plan all along was to bring it to my buddy's garage and have his electrical (& electronic) whiz fellow do it. Everything else is done, and done the way I wanted it, so all that is needed is that one wire hooked up.

I'm going to buy a 7 pin tester before I take it over so we can test it when he hooks it up. I just really don't want to mess around and not find the wire and end up having to take it in anyways. Better to let somebody that knows what they're doing do it!

I should also mention that there is no one color wire that is necessarily right. I guess there may be a few it could be, but you need to figure it out. Ford did not maintain standard colors for this stuff. It was whatever they had left.

I'm not in a rush - there's still snow on our ParkLiner!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #17

Manitoba
Registry
Same here no rush to get it done. Too much snow out there yet to even really think about it. On the other hand I want to get it done so I can get out and do things once the CRAPPY SNOW is finally gone.

LOL

Rick
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 AM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Does that mean it's OK to go out in the not-so-crappy snow???

But, I just looked outside and, except what I can see up on the mountains for skiing & boarding, it's ALL gone & 74 degrees F> heading for 80 today.

Yep, I'll takes wind, fires and earthquakes over long cold & wet 6 month long winters any day

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Manitoba
Registry
Not-so-crappy-snow is what we look forward to in the winter here.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

New York
You guys are okay, except all you folks in sunny warm weather...

Just mounted the brake controller. Had to take it out of the pickup. Was just gonna buy another one so we'd both be set, but they're 125 bucks. They can move back & forth all they want.

38F here, which is about 3C for my friends & relatives up north. Windy too, crummy day to work outside, but get done what needed to be done, now move to the garage to work on my hot rod chassis, do a little welding.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #21

Manitoba
Registry
I bought a quick disconnect so I can move the controller from vehicle to vehicle. Ya they are not cheap and easy to disconnect it when it is not needed too. I am not going to permanently mount mine. I am going to stand it up in the door pocket when I use the trailer and pop it into the center console when not needed. This way there are no holes in the dash and it will not get in the way of my leg room.

Rick

Quote:
You guys are okay, except all you folks in sunny warm weather...

Just mounted the brake controller. Had to take it out of the pickup. Was just gonna buy another one so we'd both be set, but they're 125 bucks. They can move back & forth all they want.

38F here, which is about 3C for my friends & relatives up north. Windy too, crummy day to work outside, but get done what needed to be done, now move to the garage to work on my hot rod chassis, do a little welding.

Frank
Old 03-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
It continues to amaze me that Ford sells a vehicle as cool as this 2013 Ford Escape, 2.0l with the Ecoboost option (Ecoboost = turbocharged) with a factory tow package that has a capacity of 3500#s and does not equip it with a 7 pin RV plug.
The standard F-150 PU doesn't come with seven-pin either. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

I'd frankly be surprised to find any 3500-lb-limit vehicle that comes with the seven pin plug.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I am going to stand it up in the door pocket when I use the trailer and pop it into the center console when not needed. This way there are no holes in the dash and it will not get in the way of my leg room.

Rick
Best check the installation instructions. As I recall, my Prodigy is supposed to be installed at no more than a 30 degree angle.
I'd read the manual.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #24

Manitoba
Registry
Mine says it can be mounted in any direction. Made sure of that before I bought it. Says can be operated at any angle, including upside down.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Best check the installation instructions. As I recall, my Prodigy is supposed to be installed at no more than a 30 degree angle.
I'd read the manual.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #25

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The standard F-150 PU doesn't come with seven-pin either. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

I'd frankly be surprised to find any 3500-lb-limit vehicle that comes with the seven pin plug.
Well, that's just not true Francesca. My previous truck, a 2009 GMC Canyon, 4 cyl, 5 speed standard, came with a tow package and had a factory 7 pin RV connector. It had a tow capacity of 2700#s.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Same for Suburbans and GMC counterparts.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #27

New York
Right, and even though my '01 F-150 did NOT come with a tow package, it was ridiculously easy to do. Pull apart a rear left frame rail connector, insert the 7 pin plug, put it all back together, and bingo, 7 pin RV plug ready to roll. Took my son and me 2 hours in the dark to install the hitch and 7 pin. Easy to do compared to the Escape!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM   #28

Manitoba
Registry
Nice that it was at least prewired, No clue why they would not do that with the Escape

Quote:
Right, and even though my '01 F-150 did NOT come with a tow package, it was ridiculously easy to do. Pull apart a rear left frame rail connector, insert the 7 pin plug, put it all back together, and bingo, 7 pin RV plug ready to roll. Took my son and me 2 hours in the dark to install the hitch and 7 pin. Easy to do compared to the Escape!

Frank

Tags
escape