7 pin RV plug installation in 2013 Ford Escape with factory tow package - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I bought a quick disconnect so I can move the controller from vehicle to vehicle. Ya they are not cheap and easy to disconnect it when it is not needed too. I am not going to permanently mount mine. I am going to stand it up in the door pocket when I use the trailer and pop it into the center console when not needed. This way there are no holes in the dash and it will not get in the way of my leg room.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
You guys are okay, except all you folks in sunny warm weather...

Just mounted the brake controller. Had to take it out of the pickup. Was just gonna buy another one so we'd both be set, but they're 125 bucks. They can move back & forth all they want.

38F here, which is about 3C for my friends & relatives up north. Windy too, crummy day to work outside, but get done what needed to be done, now move to the garage to work on my hot rod chassis, do a little welding.

Frank
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
It continues to amaze me that Ford sells a vehicle as cool as this 2013 Ford Escape, 2.0l with the Ecoboost option (Ecoboost = turbocharged) with a factory tow package that has a capacity of 3500#s and does not equip it with a 7 pin RV plug.
The standard F-150 PU doesn't come with seven-pin either. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

I'd frankly be surprised to find any 3500-lb-limit vehicle that comes with the seven pin plug.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I am going to stand it up in the door pocket when I use the trailer and pop it into the center console when not needed. This way there are no holes in the dash and it will not get in the way of my leg room.

Rick
Best check the installation instructions. As I recall, my Prodigy is supposed to be installed at no more than a 30 degree angle.
I'd read the manual.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #24

Registry
Mine says it can be mounted in any direction. Made sure of that before I bought it. Says can be operated at any angle, including upside down.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Best check the installation instructions. As I recall, my Prodigy is supposed to be installed at no more than a 30 degree angle.
I'd read the manual.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #25

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
The standard F-150 PU doesn't come with seven-pin either. http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/g...rv&tt_f150.pdf

I'd frankly be surprised to find any 3500-lb-limit vehicle that comes with the seven pin plug.
Well, that's just not true Francesca. My previous truck, a 2009 GMC Canyon, 4 cyl, 5 speed standard, came with a tow package and had a factory 7 pin RV connector. It had a tow capacity of 2700#s.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Same for Suburbans and GMC counterparts.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #27

New York
Right, and even though my '01 F-150 did NOT come with a tow package, it was ridiculously easy to do. Pull apart a rear left frame rail connector, insert the 7 pin plug, put it all back together, and bingo, 7 pin RV plug ready to roll. Took my son and me 2 hours in the dark to install the hitch and 7 pin. Easy to do compared to the Escape!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #28

Registry
Nice that it was at least prewired, No clue why they would not do that with the Escape

Quote:
Right, and even though my '01 F-150 did NOT come with a tow package, it was ridiculously easy to do. Pull apart a rear left frame rail connector, insert the 7 pin plug, put it all back together, and bingo, 7 pin RV plug ready to roll. Took my son and me 2 hours in the dark to install the hitch and 7 pin. Easy to do compared to the Escape!

Frank
Old 03-09-2014, 03:23 PM   #29

New York
Rick, my P3 Tekonsha brake controller (89762) also can mount 360 degrees.

People in the know tell me Ford did not provide 7 pin plug & play for the Escape for fear it would cut into F-150 sales. Gee.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
I bought a quick disconnect so I can move the controller from vehicle to vehicle. Ya they are not cheap and easy to disconnect it when it is not needed too. I am not going to permanently mount mine. I am going to stand it up in the door pocket when I use the trailer and pop it into the center console when not needed. This way there are no holes in the dash and it will not get in the way of my leg room.

Rick
With it in your door pocket is it tight? if not what are you going to do if you ever have to use the lever on it to stop sway in a do or die situation?

3M makes a marine velcro that holds well. I have used to mount a controller and avoid the need for screws into the vehicles dash area.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #31

Registry
Fits in the door pocket perfectly and the controls are right there for your left hard to reach if you need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
With it in your door pocket is it tight? if not what are you going to do if you ever have to use the lever on it to stop sway in a do or die situation?

3M makes a marine velcro that holds well. I have used to mount a controller and avoid the need for screws into the vehicles dash area.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #32

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
...Just mounted the brake controller. Had to take it out of the pickup. Was just gonna buy another one so we'd both be set, but they're 125 bucks. They can move back & forth all they want...
Frank
I use a wireless brake controller from Tekonsha (http://www.tekonsha.com/content/prod...435&part=90250) that is highly portable between vehicles and does not need to be hardwired into your tow vehicle. (The only part you move between vehicles is the controller which plugs into your vehicles 12V accessory outlet). Costs a bit more than a conventional controller, but when you factor in the savings on having to wire it in, it may be comparable.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #33

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
I use a wireless brake controller from Tekonsha (Brake Controllers - Tekonsha) that is highly portable between vehicles and does not need to be hardwired into your tow vehicle. (The only part you move between vehicles is the controller which plugs into your vehicles 12V accessory outlet). Costs a bit more than a conventional controller, but when you factor in the savings on having to wire it in, it may be comparable.

That would have been great for the Escape, but my F-150 is plug & play, so all I need now is another quick disconnect mount, see most everything else is done already. But that sure is a great solution for any 2013/2014 Escape with the 3500# tow package! Saves a bunch of work and effort!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
escape