7-way test lamps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #1

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
7-way test lamps

I've decided to start making use of the brakes on my 16' Scamp. I got a Curt 4 pole to 7 pole adapter with led test lamps. Apparently these test lamps (LEDS) give a verification that all the different circuits are working. After I got everything hooked up I found that most of the test LEDs are always on, whether or not the car is running, whether or not the trailer is hooked up. I hooked the trailer up and all the lights on the trailer work normally. I have not had the chance to try the brakes.

Does anyone know if this behavior is normal? I understand that the draw will be small but even having this glow in the driveway all night seems strange, Curt has no information that I can find on its site, the unit came from etrailer and there are similar questions/concerns in their comments but its still not clear to me that these lights should be on when the trailer is not present.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #2

Lakeville, CT
Here's a stock photo of the adapter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2910478923.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	60208
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I understand correctly, everything works OK, except the LEDs glow all the time? Sounds like a job for black electrical tape.

Seriously, though, I'd use a multimeter to check out the connections.

how to use a multimeter for beginners - YouTube
Old 06-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I have one of the 4 way lites and one stays on because of my driving lites when the ignition is on. Otherwise they are all off. I'm assuming you have a hard +12 wired up to your battery? I have seen situations where an LED will glow because when a circuit is turned off the one side although not ground it will be at a lower potential closer to ground and cause current to flow and light LEDs but they would be probably dimmer. This might be due to one of the 3 to 4 wire converter boxes that are installed. When mine went bad my brake lights stayed on all the time due to that sneak ground path. JMHO. Per Tom grab a multimeter.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Some vehicles the hitch plug is dead when the ignition is off, others it is on all the time. Do you know which you have, it appears your receptacle is alive even while parked and ignition off? My Dodge is that way, my Jeep was off.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
IMO, in case of 7pin hook up at TV, if one hooks up +12VDC pin straight to battery then this pin is always ON regardless of anything else, except dead battery of towing vehicle. Otherwise, this pin should be hooked up at ignition key. To normal 7pin hook up of trailer harness in vehicle, it wouldn't be matter. To the case of LEDs at connector, one should check whether this +12VDC wire hooked up thru ignition key or not and could re-connect it if he/she doesn't want the LEDs stay on all the time. Just my thought....
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #7

Lakeville, CT
Thanks for all the replies. The connector(s) do go straight to the battery so surely the outlet does not depend on whether the key is on or not. My question is about the behavior of the LEDs. I don't necessarily know that they should mimic the condition of the pins on the seven-way. It seems like it might sense that one might come on when you have a good connection to trailer brake lights, for instance.

Looks like a call to etrailer is in order...
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Lakeville, CT
Talked with the folks at etrailer and they claim the behavior is normal. Turns out only the 12V and brake LEDs are on but they are so bright they bleed to the others and make them appear on at night. Put the seven-way on my trailer and everything works as it should. At least everything that pertains to this thread.