7 Way Trailer End Connector question ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #1

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
7 Way Trailer End Connector question ???

I have a question and I'm hoping someone with more electrical experience can help. OK, my 2002 Scamp 5er has the RV hookup to the truck trailer connector with the old 7 way plug with the round female holes.

I wanted to update with the new 7 Way Trailer End Connector.

When I removed the wires from the round one; the center wire was the blue wire. On the new connector if I follow all the marked wire color connections it leaves the yellow wire out which has to then be the center wire. Is this correct? It looks like the wires would be lined up the same on both plugs. I'm not sure I understand this. Anyway, I hooked up all the wires on the new 7 Way Trailer End Connector as it was marked at each connector which left the center wire (which wasn't marked with a color code) as the yellow wire. I think I am right since I followed the marked color for each connector? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
There are two different wiring types on campers. I had the same issue. I don't remember the plug side, but it wasn't yellow on yellow. Anyway, scamp used yellow for foreign car brakes, although almost all of them run a converter with trailer wiring to make it "american" anyway. I cut the wires off the taillights when I put new ones on, and made the yellow wire on the harness the backup wire, which IIRC, is the center pin on the plug.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Ok, still confused. I added pictures to help explain the plugs. Just want to make sure I did it right????
Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #4

Kansas
I don't know the wiring on yours, but likely not.

Was the yellow wire actually hooked up before? Do you have backup lights?

Again, if it's like mine, that wire was used for brakes on foreign vehicles, but hooked to the common 7 flat plug, that actually is for backup lights, so you'll be turning the brake lights on every time you backup.

The yellow wire on mine had been left unhooked in the harness, for that reason. I opted to hook it up, and cut it off the taillights, so I could use it for backup lights.

you really need to know how the plug is wired on your vehicle, and how the scamp wiring is done, otherwise it's a royal pain.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #5

Kansas
Start reading on this page...maybe my light fiasco will help this make sense.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-55038-20.html
Old 04-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #6

Ok Jared your saying that scamp uses this diagram.

With the exceptionsOn the scamp, red is left, brown is right, green is tail, yellow is backup).

Because if I go by the color code on connectors its this way.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
When I removed the wires from the round one; the center wire was the blue wire. On the new connector if I follow all the marked wire color connections it leaves the yellow wire out which has to then be the center wire. Is this correct? It looks like the wires would be lined up the same on both plugs. I'm not sure I understand this. Anyway, I hooked up all the wires on the new 7 Way Trailer End Connector as it was marked at each connector which left the center wire (which wasn't marked with a color code) as the yellow wire. I think I am right since I followed the marked color for each connector? Any advice would be appreciated.
This is how I think the old round pin 7-pin was wired.

Name:   7-pin round.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  13.8 KB

However there is a slightly different color code that the 7-blade is marked with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin pigtail.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	57611 Click image for larger version

Name:	7PIN.gif
Views:	16
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	57610
The color code above for the 7 blade does not agree with the 4-pin flat color code.

Name:   4pinflat.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  1.6 KB
This is what I ran into in wiring my Honda Odyssey which provided a 4-pin flat connector. I bought a 7 blade receptacle that had a place on the back for the Odyssey's 4-pin flat to plug into, plus black, white, yellow, and blue wires to connect the battery charge, ground, back-up, and brake wires to. Internally to that connector the color code changed to match what the 7 blade connector's wiring (and my Fiber Stream's wiring) actually is.
  • 4-pin yellow becomes 7 blade red (Left Turn/Brake)
  • 4-pin green becomes 7 blade brown (Right Turn/Brake)
  • 4-pin brown becomes 7 blade green (Running/Marker)
  • 4-pin white becomes 7 blade white (ground)
  • *************** 7 blade blue (Brakes)
  • *************** 7 blade black (Battery Charge)
  • *************** 7 blade yellow (Back-up)
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-pin plug.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	57624

The following diagram keeps the 4-pin flat color code unchanged throughout the whole cable run instead of changing it like MY receptacle does. Maybe this is the way you need to do it. (as Jared suggests)
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
This is how I think the old round pin 7-pin was wired.
Attachment 57623

)
Yup thats how Scamp did them. The wiring on the Scamp providing no one has messed with it is:

Green (TM) - Tail Lights and Marker Lights
Red (LT)- Left Turn and Brake Light
Brown (RT) – Right turn and Brake Light
Black (S) – Interior 12 volt lights and Accessories
White (GD) – Ground
Yellow (A) – Brake Lights (Foreign Stop) or Backup Lights
Blue – Electric Brakes
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Kansas
Thanks carol, I was posting from the er…brown recluse bite. Waiting on medicine at Walgreens, then 8:30am jury duty…yay.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:23 AM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Foreign??? What about semis?? They use a separate wire for brake lamps. And the plug with round pins is what trucks use.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #11

Thanks all, seems I need to go back and rewire before I proceed. Thank you all again.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Foreign??? What about semis?? They use a separate wire for brake lamps. And the plug with round pins is what trucks use.
Yes, the round-pin plug is used by commercial trucks, and normally follows the 7-pin extension of the same colour and function coding as the 4-pin flat cpnnectors, as defined by SAE. The colours used with the "Bargman" or "RV" flat-blade connector are usually different, as Frederick explained.

Scamp used the term "foreign car" to refer to any tug having separate stop and tail lamps, and (like Boler) set up the auxiliary circuit (yellow wire) to run separate stop lamps, but long ago the North American light towing and trailer industry gave up on accommodating tugs with proper lighting. Now essentially every recreational trailer has the crude old combined signals and the tug is equipped with an adapter to run them.

Whatever the colour of the insulation on the wire, the key is to attach the correct function to the designated pin, realizing that the two 7-pin connectors each have their own standard.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #13

I sent an email to Scamp and got a response from Kent which is as quoated:

Ted,

Basically you hook the wire up to the matching color on the back of the plug. Have attached picture and list for your help.

Kent Eveland

Green Wire………………………………………………..Tail Lights and Markers lights
Red Wire…………………………………………………..Left Turn and Brake Light
Brown Wire..……………………………………………...Right turn and Brake Light
Black Wire………………………………………………...Charge and Hot Line
White Wire…………………………………………………Ground
Yellow Wire………………………………………………..Bake up lights
Blue Wire…………………………………………………..Electric Brakes
Old 04-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Thanks all, seems I need to go back and rewire before I proceed. Thank you all again.
The key to figuring it all out is to know that Scamp uses the "Bargman" wiring system.

You can also get an adaptor for situations where the trailer has a 7 pin system but the tug has a 7 pin blade which is what I had to use when I first picked up my trailer.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #15

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 1975 Trillium and a 2007 Chrysler Sebring and the colour coded wires are both same so just a case of matching the colour codes and proper pin numbers. Same as Ted shows in #13.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #16

So, all is fiqured out now. The way I originally wired it up is the same way it's color coded on the plug and the same way Kent from scamp said it was on post #13. Hooked up to the truck all lights, signals, reverse,is working the way it's suppose to. Problem solved!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
So, all is fiqured out now. The way I originally wired it up is the same way it's color coded on the plug and the same way Kent from scamp said it was on post #13. Hooked up to the truck all lights, signals, reverse,is working the way it's suppose to. Problem solved!!
always nice to discover on an old trailer that things are as they are suppose to be and the PO didnt mess with it thinking they had a better way!