75 Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
75 Boler

I just purchased a 1975 Boler the other day. She's great but I wonder if now is the best time to replace the axle. I am going to get new tires right now they have P175/80R13 and they are radial and very bouncy ride home. I know nothing about axles but here is a pic. What can you tell me? I have around 3.5" of ground clearance from the wheel well to the top of the tire.
aznative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznative View Post
I just purchased a 1975 Boler the other day. She's great but I wonder if now is the best time to replace the axle. I am going to get new tires right now they have P175/80R13 and they are radial and very bouncy ride home. I know nothing about axles but here is a pic. What can you tell me? I believe the axle has been moved from its original location. It looks like someone added a bracket to the square tubing where it was originally suppose to go. Maybe to add ground clearance. I have around 3.5" of ground clearance from the wheel well to the top of the tire.

Pics aren't uploading.
It sounds like you have adequate clearance. Only you can see whether the wheels are likely to hit the top of the wheel well while driving. I once had a 1974 Boler with the original bolt-on axle, but a previous owner had raised it up by welding square steel tubes to the frame and bolting the axle onto the tubes. I had the tubes removed and the clearance was fine, but I thought the ride was very bouncy, so I replaced the axle with a new one, also bolt-on, a relatively easy job once I got the right axle. However, I found that the new axle made no discernible difference to the ride. The stuff that used to regularly fall off the shelves etc. while travelling continued to fall off after the axle replacement. Since clearance was not an issue, for us it turned out to be ineffective. If I was doing it again, I would not.
Cheers,
Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #3

Name: Gina
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Arizona
pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1300.jpg   IMG_1302.jpg  

aznative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags