'87 Scamp 16 - Wheel Hub Replacment Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
'87 Scamp 16 - Wheel Hub Replacment Question

The hubs on my newly purchased 1987 Scamp 16 are a bit rusty. Whenever I press the breaks I get a squeaking sound. Could the rust on the hubs be the source of the squeal? I'm not sure and have decided to replace the hubs and perhaps the bearings as well. Now the wheels don't squeak or squeal when I'm driving down the road. Only when the brakes are applied do I get noise.

Anyone have a 1987 scamp or know what hub assembly will fit the 87 Scamp 16? Part numbers/size.

The wheels/tires on the scamp - ST175/80D13 4 hole 4 on 4 lug pattern 13 inch wheels.

Attached to the axl there are 1 inch or 1-1/16 inch straight spindles on the end.

Anyone know which spindle is on the 16 foot '87?

Any thoughts on the squeaking would be helpful as well. Thanks for reading.
Chrish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Squeaking brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrish3 View Post
The hubs on my newly purchased 1987 Scamp 16 are a bit rusty. Whenever I press the breaks I get a squeaking sound. Could the rust on the hubs be the source of the squeal? I'm not sure and have decided to replace the hubs and perhaps the bearings as well. Now the wheels don't squeak or squeal when I'm driving down the road. Only when the brakes are applied do I get noise.

Anyone have a 1987 scamp or know what hub assembly will fit the 87 Scamp 16? Part numbers/size.

The wheels/tires on the scamp - ST175/80D13 4 hole 4 on 4 lug pattern 13 inch wheels.

Attached to the axl there are 1 inch or 1-1/16 inch straight spindles on the end.

Anyone know which spindle is on the 16 foot '87?

Any thoughts on the squeaking would be helpful as well. Thanks for reading.

Well, lots of views and no answers and I won’t be much help either. You want to replace the wheel bearings anyway, so pull the hub and inspect. If the brakes are worn out it may be better to buy new loaded back plates. At that age the label on the axle is gone, but with the measurement of the axle and the brake drum internal diameter e-trailer may be able to help you buy complete back plate loaded with new brake parts as well as new drums if needed. (Be sure to tell them you have 4 bolt wheels.) https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tra...um_Brakes.aspx They have helped me several times over the years. If you replace the bearings in the drums you have, get the numbers off the old bearings, even then sometimes the new parts are wrong. And don’t forget the seals.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:12 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
AXLE change?

Quote:
The hubs on my newly purchased 1987 Scamp 16 are a bit rusty.
Another follow-up. How high is it riding? At that age, if it is the original axle, it may be time to change it out. I like to see the whole wheel (not tire) showing in the wheel well. Maybe others will join in.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:45 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ride height is not the best indicator of axle condition. Unusual tire wear is an indication of a worn-out or bent axle. The rubber inside can also become hard and brittle with age. Best test is to raise the frame on one side and check how much the wheel drops relative to the shell. Little or no movement means an aged-out axle.

All of the above call for a full axle replacement.

Agree that an assessment of the axle condition is warranted before replacing parts. According to Dexter, normal working lifespan of a rubber torsion axle is 15-20 years, though they can remain in service much longer with gradually decreasing ride quality.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Early S-16 had 2.2K axles with 7" brakes and 4x4 lug patterns with straight spindles. The newer S-16's have 3.5K axles, stepped spindles and 10" brakes and 5x4.5 lug patterns. ( You can order 4x4 lugs if ordering new.) If it were me I would replace your current axle with a 3.5K axle with bolt on brackets before spending money on an old under capacity axle. Just what I would do. YMMV
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: Chris
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Hub Numbers

The part number for the hubs are HD700-A. I shot some WD-40 inside and the squeaking is gone. Gonna work on getting them cleaned up. Can you get a raised axl for the scamp. Small lift with bigger tires? Thanks
Chrish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The new axle will lift the trailer. You can also lift the trailer more buy increasing the angle on the of the torsion arms, you can order the axle with tall mounting perches and you can also install lift blocks between the axle and the frame. Just remember when you raise the trailer the hitch height also raises. You also may need to install an entrance step if you don't have one with just the axle change. You won't have shell issues with installing larger (14") wheels an tires with a small lift on a S-16 as you do on the S-13. Each thing you do raises the trailer about 1.5" per change and the blocks raise it about 2-3". Angle change and perches are no cost changes when ordering a new axle. Add about $100 for the lift blocks.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp axles

Quote:
The part number for the hubs are HD700-A. I shot some WD-40 inside and the squeaking is gone. Gonna work on getting them cleaned up. Can you get a raised axl for the scamp. Small lift with bigger tires? Thanks
Friction is what makes brakes work, so wd-40 in them is not a good idea.
Axles can be ordered with different angles on the arms to change ride height and lift kits are available for some Bolt on axles. You may be looking at a new axle with higher angle arms and 5 bolt hubs to do bigger tires. I went to 14 inch on my 2017 Scamp 16 foot but needed a lift kit to do it.If you do all of this you will want to go to a bolt on axle.
Attached Thumbnails
WHEEL R 1.jpg  

Tags
scamp