Since picking up our Scamp
I've had to do a little work on the tow rig. We have a 96 Ford Explorer with the 4 litre v6. I replaced the rear brakes
and bearings. This has the "drum emergency brake inside the rotor" so you have to pull the axles to change the linings" . Pull the differential cover and remove pin locking bolt and pin. Push the axle
in toward the diferential and remove keeper clips. Remove axles. You'll need a slide-hammer to get the bearing race out. I used the seal/bearing replacement all in one that has an offset so the bearings ride on a fresh part of the axle
. I put the bearing in the freezer before driving it in "cool tip" . If you attempt this remember one thing...do not turn the axle
with the keeper pin out or the spider gears will fall
...i was able to put it back together but it was a practice in patience...Replace brakes
and put axles back in...be careful with the seal as you do that. replace clips, keeper pin and locking bolt. I finished the job in about a day and a half...new pads, linings, spring kit, bearings, oil, rotors under $300.00. We took the trailer out and everything works fine....If you're handy with a wrench this isn't too difficult...i recommend a chilton auto repair manual and following all of the safety procedures for this job.
As luck would have it my class III hitch from etrailer showed up the next morning before i lowered the explorer and put the spare tire back in so I was able to install it no problem.