96 Ranger V-6 3.0 extenbded cab (not splash) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #15

Name: Steven
Trailer: Casita SD 2013
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_M_1 View Post
The ranger is FREE. It is a gift from my dad who is tired of having to keep up with it. I just bought a new car for my wife and I can't really afford to buy a bigger truck for several years. The ranger will cost me nothing, nada and it has less than 50,000 miles on it. Its a Southern car and doesn't have a spot of rust or corrosion on it. I agree that it isn't that desirable. Its the last thing in the world I would pick.

However, it is capable of pulling something and that was the reason for the thread - to determine what that something is. So far it seems that all the most negative comments regarding the ranger are from people out West. The Southern Appalachians are nothing like the Rocky Mountains or Cascades. That truck came in a huge number of configurations - some much better than others for towing and hauling a load.

Anyhow I can take the free truck and get whatever it is capable of pulling and go camping in that or I can sit in my chair and wait for 3 years until I can afford to buy whatever I want.
I would get the truck ready to tow , hook it up to your trailer , load up the wife and kids and go have a good time . There are plenty of interesting places to see / camp right close to where you live.
Your father made you a generous gift so show him how much you appreciate his offer and put the truck to good use. If you wait till everything is perfect , a lot of good memories will be never happen
Good luck and safe travels. Having to drive a little slower or take a different route is not that big of a sacrifice.

Best Wishes
Steve D

Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM   #16

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Sorry if I seemed rude. I'm not saying "you'd be dumb to take this truck". I'm saying it's not going to tow very well. Yes I see now re-reading your first post that this is a different question. I was still sort of responding to your earlier thread I guess.

The numbers have been given around here on what percentage of your max capacity is safe and comfortable to tow.

Steve everything is relative. Compared to a matchbox car your grandsons lil tyke is a giant truck.

Compared to the original Tundra, the new ones are BIG. When I'm at a stoplight and a typical (for my area) full size truck pulls up next me, I feel pretty darn small, and they seem giant. Giant being both a relative term and a term that can be used differently by different people. Is the moon giant? Not compared to the earth. Compared to a beach ball?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

If in the right mood, I can likely top your lack-of-anything-better-to-do parsing of words with my over-explaining and literalness. Seemingly like you, I currently have the time

Old 03-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Sorry if I seemed rude. I'm not saying "you'd be dumb to take this truck". I'm saying it's not going to tow very well. Yes I see now re-reading your first post that this is a different question. I was still sort of responding to your earlier thread I guess.

The numbers have been given around here on what percentage of your max capacity is safe and comfortable to tow.

Steve everything is relative. Compared to a matchbox car your grandsons lil tyke is a giant truck.

Compared to the original Tundra, the new ones are BIG. When I'm at a stoplight and a typical (for my area) full size truck pulls up next me, I feel pretty darn small, and they seem giant. Giant being both a relative term and a term that can be used differently by different people. Is the moon giant? Not compared to the earth. Compared to a beach ball?

Etc. Etc. Etc.

If in the right mood, I can likely top your lack-of-anything-better-to-do parsing of words with my over-explaining and literalness. Seemingly like you, I currently have the time
You didn't seem rude. Sorry if I seemed rude in my comments. It frustrates me quite a bit, though, that after the second or third response in a thread on this website the question being answered often changes and subsequent posts rapidly become completely unrelated to the original question. I've been a member here for a while and the same thing has happened to me every time.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #18
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Thanks Steve. I've read that Casitas are heavier than some of the other options. My wife has insisted on a queen bed and one other bed (to sleep 3). I may not be able to do it with that truck. I got the truck for free so it is a limiting factor - if I can't use the truck I can't get a camper (money limited). If I can't get a big enough camper my wife won't be happy and I'll just have to wait until I can afford a better truck.
The Parkliner seems to foot the bill. Possibly a Casita 16' Liberty might work. The 16' are lighter than the 17'. The liberty can be configured into a king size bed. I believe the standard comes with a front couch. The down side is the head room.

http://casitatraveltrailers.com/liberty-16-17/
Old 03-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #19

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yes it's a problem with forums, and conversation in general. This has nothing to do with you or this thread but I had a friend who only wanted to take on one topic at a time in conversation. The natural ins and outs, driftings here and there of a natural conversation drove her absolutely crazy. As soon as someone took things slightly off topic, you could see her get tense and stop contributing to the conversation until either someone brought it back "on topic", or she herself would force it back on topic.

I myself prefer to keep things on topic, at least until they've been settled satisfactorily. But I also appreciate that conversations flow, and depending on the setting and group, you can't really expect them to stay on topic. I can get pretty frustrated with it, too.

So...when it comes to fiberglass campers, a full size bed is a lot to ask. They are out there. Hopefully the people who know which ones have them will speak up here. I have one of the larger fiberglass trailers available (largest dimensions in the 17' length), which is also known for having some of the smaller beds. Weird.

Your truck could pull any 13'er no problem. But I don't know that any of them have large beds. It could be that a stick-built is the only trailer that would fit the bill. We'll see if people with different trailers will chime in.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #20

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quite often, when a thread strays off topic, we all learn something we weren't expecting.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #21

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Quite often, when a thread strays off topic, we all learn something we weren't expecting.
I belong to many online forums covering a variety of topics (appalachian trail, backpacking, backpacking gear, Hyundai repair, vintage volvo maintenance and repair and this one) and more often than not going off topic occurs because people don't read the initial post - they read the last post and the thread title. I agree that it's quite possible to learn something unexpected from off topic comments but when the point of a thread is to learn something fairly specific actually getting information regarding that specific thing is the most helpful.

Also, it's been my experience on all the different forums I belong to that once off topic its very difficult to get the conversation back on topic.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #22

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The Parkliner seems to foot the bill. Possibly a Casita 16' Liberty might work. The 16' are lighter than the 17'. The liberty can be configured into a king size bed. I believe the standard comes with a front couch. The down side is the head room.

Liberty 16' & 17' | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!
Parkliner took down the prices from their website, but I've read that they went way up recently. I'm not sure the the product justifies that big increase - don't know I've never seen one in person.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #23

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOB View Post
I have a 96 Ranger 3.0 auto. I pull a Scamp 19 with no problems. It may be a little slow on some hills but I'm not in any hurry. 16.5 mpg pulling, 20-21 not pulling. I've talked to other Ranger owners who had the 4.0 and they all said the 3.0 will out pull the 4.0 and get better mileage.

Thanks for your comments. You are the only person who responded who is actually using the same truck. There were 3 or 4 pages of ranger truck configurations in the towing section of the manual and some of them had very low maximum allowable loads. The 96 V6 3.0 automatic was among the highest rated. I was surprised when I found that the owners manual shows the max tow load at 4000 lbs, but even more surprised by the HP rating of the 3.0 V6, I believe it was 145 HP which isn't much for a six cylinder.

The owners manual does not provide the payload - you are left to figure it out and I don't have the truck in my possession yet. So I can't look at the door sticker which defines all the necessary parameters to do the calculation. I would guess the payload is about 1400 lbs or a little less.

I was looking at the Scamp 19 on their website tonight and they show it being towed by a ranger extended cab of the same era.

Anyhow, do you have any problem keeping the pin load and your gear within the allowable payload for the truck? It seems to me that the allowable payload is barely high enough to handle a loaded scamp 19.

Have you driven North out of Chattanooga up over Monteagle with your rig? That's pretty characteristic of worst case scenario for steep on the east coast. If so, how did you do speedwise? I only plan to run the truck for 3 years (so I could plan my trips around where I can go) and then I'll get a Colorado or Canyon diesel when I can pay cash for it.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #24

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
John,
I pull our 13' Boler with a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4.3L V6/2WD automatic, 5000 lbs towing capacity, or a 2007 Kia Sedonna 3.8L V6 FWD automatic, 3500 lbs towing capacity. I just rebuilt the Boler from the frame up including a new Dexter #9 2200 lbs axle and a dry weight of 1420 lbs. I have a fair amount of wood inside ours as we gutted it including all the fiberglass cabinets, closet, kitchenette, front bunks and rear benches so we are probably about 200 lbs heavier than a stock Boler not including appliances.

If your Ranger is a 3.0 V6 the gear ratio should be 3.73 to 1 with a 4000 lb tow capacity. You should be able to give any Ford dealer the vin number and they should be able to confirm that. I would recommend adding a transmission cooler if that option is available for that year model even if it is an aftermarket unit.

One thing to note, manufacturers sometimes downgrade the towing capacity due to the factory hitch rating, even thought the power train is capable more, and an aftermarket hitch could increase that capacity if that should be the case.

145 hp doesn't sound like much, but when pulling the gear ratio and torque is a huge factor. That literally mean 145 horses worth of pulling power. Think of it like a garden tractor vs a riding lawn mower, a 10 hp tractor with pulling gear ratios rear end can dig a plow in the ground all day long, but the same 10 hp engine on a lawn mower rear end will either tear the rear end out or sit still and burn up the tires...
Old 03-08-2017, 01:17 AM   #25

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Quote:
The ranger is FREE.
Anyhow I can take the free truck and get whatever it is capable of pulling and go camping in that or I can sit in my chair and wait for 3 years until I can afford to buy whatever I want.
JUST GO FOR IT.. your over thinking it, You can pull a Scamp 16 or Casita 16 Both can be found with a side Dine-net that converts to a 3rd bed. The Horse power and Torque were lower about Horsepower: 147 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Engine: 3.0 L V6 Torque: 162 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm. It ain't gonna be fast but its not the Indy 500. Slow, Safe and Steady the Objective is to have fun with your family. Enjoy the ride.... People put way to much emphasis on WOW my car is so powerful I don't know the trailer is back there.. Guess again you need to remember its back there all the time. I see far to many people driving way to damn fast pulling a trailer regardless of the size of the trailer.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 AM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Parkliner took down the prices from their website, but I've read that they went way up recently. I'm not sure the the product justifies that big increase - don't know I've never seen one in person.
New Parkliners have jumped out of sight. They've gone to a double wall construction and increased the price, upwards of 30k. But used ones show up from time to time.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-78758.html

The Happier Camper can also be configured into a large bed.and very easily pulled by your truck.

Happier Camper | Ultra-light Travel and Utility Trailers

Sorry to say no matter what you look at, if it's fiberglass it will be pricey.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #27

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
JUST GO FOR IT.. your over thinking it, You can pull a Scamp 16 or Casita 16 Both can be found with a side Dine-net that converts to a 3rd bed. The Horse power and Torque were lower about Horsepower: 147 hp @ 5,000 rpm
Engine: 3.0 L V6 Torque: 162 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm. It ain't gonna be fast but its not the Indy 500. Slow, Safe and Steady the Objective is to have fun with your family. Enjoy the ride.... People put way to much emphasis on WOW my car is so powerful I don't know the trailer is back there.. Guess again you need to remember its back there all the time. I see far to many people driving way to damn fast pulling a trailer regardless of the size of the trailer.

Actually, I'm not overthinking it - I haven't told the whole story. I live in a suburb with covenants and have no place to park the extra truck which means I have to get rid of my 20 year old Volvo station wagon. The wagon gets 30 MPG and I drive nearly 100 miles a day to and from work. The Truck gets 24 or so. Also, the free truck has been neglected so it will require a lot of work to be my daily driver. SO your suggestion of "just going for it" involves me disposing of my perfectly good and reliable daily driver that gets good gas mileage for a truck that has been neglected will probably take 2000 to address these items and gets significantly worse gas mileage. The volvo, BTW, has a notoriously weak transmission and is not recommended for pulling much more than a utility trailer.

I'm not rolling in cash (my daughter will be in college soon) so I am limited to shopping for a used trailer and the free truck plus the cost of addressing the neglected items on each.

The point of this thread was to determine what I could pull comfortably and safely. If its only a 13 footer I 'd rather go backpacking or tent camping.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #28

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Begs the question... Where will you store a trailer?
That will also be a problem. I can store a trailer at nearby U-store it facility (not a camper storage place) outside for pretty cheap. I really have no options there - have to do it.