96 Ranger V-6 3.0 extenbded cab (not splash) - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Georgia
96 Ranger V-6 3.0 extenbded cab (not splash)

The owners manual for the truck in the subject line says I can tow up to 4000 lbs if properly configured.

What would be a trailer weight that it could COMFORTABLY pull? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. Specifically I'm wondering about something like a 17 foot Casita or Scamp or maybe a Parkliner.

Everyone has already indicated in my other thread regarding an escape 5.0 that the escape 5.0 is too much.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Assuming your tongue weight limit is 10% of your tow limit or
(4000 lbs ◊ .10 = 400 lbs) a 17 ft Casita would likely exceed that #.
Our Casita 17 has a tongue weight of 430 lbs.
Any of the 13 ,15, 16 ft fiberglass trailers should work with the Ranger. Our old 16 ft Scamp Std with front bath weighed about 2650 lbs with 260 lbs of tongue weight when loaded for travel , well within your limits
Hopefully Floyd will respond to your question , he is highly knowledgeable about the capabilities of the Ranger truck.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #3

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Assuming your tongue weight limit is 10% of your tow limit or
(4000 lbs ◊ .10 = 400 lbs) a 17 ft Casita would likely exceed that #.
Our Casita 17 has a tongue weight of 430 lbs.
Any of the 13 ,15, 16 ft fiberglass trailers should work with the Ranger. Our old 16 ft Scamp Std with front bath weighed about 2650 lbs with 260 lbs of tongue weight when loaded for travel , well within your limits
Hopefully Floyd will respond to your question , he is highly knowledgeable about the capabilities of the Ranger truck.
Thanks Steve. I've read that Casitas are heavier than some of the other options. My wife has insisted on a queen bed and one other bed (to sleep 3). I may not be able to do it with that truck. I got the truck for free so it is a limiting factor - if I can't use the truck I can't get a camper (money limited). If I can't get a big enough camper my wife won't be happy and I'll just have to wait until I can afford a better truck.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 AM   #4

None
My wife and I have 5 children and have been married for 47 years so I understand your dilemma . We did not get our first FG trailer or new truck until we retired and the kids were out of the house . When we had all the kids at home it was hard enough to pay for necessities , so luxuries like a travel trailer were only a dream possibly somewhere in the future .
Still to this day I miss the sound of our kids running around the house , luckily we have 11 grandkids to take up some of the slack.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
As a former owner of a 96 4x4 ext. cab Ranger with 3.0 and 5 speed manual trans it will not pull it. I pulled a 1000 lb teardrop and it was all it could handle and it did that poorly on hills. The low end gearing and HP is not correct for any serious towing, the 4.0 engine would be better but still underpowered for mountain towing.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
GOB

Name: Michael
Trailer: Scamp 19
Missouri
96 Ranger

I have a 96 Ranger 3.0 auto. I pull a Scamp 19 with no problems. It may be a little slow on some hills but I'm not in any hurry. 16.5 mpg pulling, 20-21 not pulling. I've talked to other Ranger owners who had the 4.0 and they all said the 3.0 will out pull the 4.0 and get better mileage.
Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf View Post
As a former owner of a 96 4x4 ext. cab Ranger with 3.0 and 5 speed manual trans it will not pull it. I pulled a 1000 lb teardrop and it was all it could handle and it did that poorly on hills. The low end gearing and HP is not correct for any serious towing, the 4.0 engine would be better but still underpowered for mountain towing.
Thanks. I don't have a 96 4x4 ext cab with 5 speed manual tranny, though. According to the owners manual (I'm looking at it now) the trailer weight maximum for a 96 4x4 ext cab 3.0L manual transmission was 2100 lbs with a reduction of 2% for every 1000 feet above sea level. Out West the reduction would likely get you below 2000 lbs - and that's the maximum. All of the trailer weight ratings for the manual transmission were much much lower than the automatics. Mine is an automatic.

I would agree that this seems unusual since manual transmissions are generally considered better for towing. But, its what the owner's manual says.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #8

Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
I towed for many years and with several manual transmission trucks ( can't hardly get a manual transmission truck anymore ). I suspect the reason for the lower tow rating for the manual doesn't relate to the transmission but to the probability that many of those driving manual trucks are not to proficient with the manual and therefore smoke the clutch. Lee
Old 03-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I would have a hard time believing that any tow rating is based on an assumption of driver skill. Otherwise a tow rating for a vehicle known to be popular with younger drivers would have a lower rating because of their inexperience, OR you could argue that if someone is driving a stick, they're likely a more skilled driver.

Just too much room for disagreement and cause for the public to distrust stated specs. "Well yeah they say it can only tow this much, but I'm going to tow way more cause I know they only say that for xyz reason, not because of actual capacity..."
Old 03-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
I own 96 Ranger 4.0 Extended cab Automatic 4 Wheel Drive with 94,000 miles. I tow a 13 ft 1980 Boler and that is the most I would pull. It will tow it but it is a slug.

Flat ground is ok but hills are a chore. Just my opinion
Old 03-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #11

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Seems to me more people than not are saying that you aren't really going to be happy towing anything with that Ranger, unless you have very low expectations.

They're really very small trucks. I think my Tacoma is a really small truck. Until I pull up next to a Ranger...

That's great, because it seems like all trucks are giant and ridiculous now. I love small trucks. But when it comes to towing...
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #12

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
John we had a 92 Ranger with 4.0 l 5 speed which towed our 13 ft sticky better than our Mazda van.

Sounds like the comments here are that you wont tow much with your free truck so better to drive it for 18 months then you can afford a used Canyon or Colo diesel and our Escape 5!

Adrian
Old 03-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #13

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Seems to me more people than not are saying that you aren't really going to be happy towing anything with that Ranger, unless you have very low expectations.

They're really very small trucks. I think my Tacoma is a really small truck. Until I pull up next to a Ranger...

That's great, because it seems like all trucks are giant and ridiculous now. I love small trucks. But when it comes to towing...
I have never seen a "Giant " truck except for the Euclid's they use to mine iron ore. Who makes or sells a giant truck ? I may be interested . I have always had a love of the ridiculous , even as a child so you have peaked my interest.
My grandson has a little truck , I think it is a Lil Tyke , slightly smaller than a tacoma but more headroom
Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #14

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post

The ranger is FREE. It is a gift from my dad who is tired of having to keep up with it. I just bought a new car for my wife and I can't really afford to buy a bigger truck for several years. The ranger will cost me nothing, nada and it has less than 50,000 miles on it. Its a Southern car and doesn't have a spot of rust or corrosion on it. I agree that it isn't that desirable. Its the last thing in the world I would pick.

However, it is capable of pulling something and that was the reason for the thread - to determine what that something is. So far it seems that all the most negative comments regarding the ranger are from people out West. The Southern Appalachians are nothing like the Rocky Mountains or Cascades. That truck came in a huge number of configurations - some much better than others for towing and hauling a load.

Anyhow I can take the free truck and get whatever it is capable of pulling and go camping in that or I can sit in my chair and wait for 3 years until I can afford to buy whatever I want.