A Brake Controller Story - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A Brake Controller Story

A few weeks ago I noticed I was unable to set my Prodigy brake controller to a fixed voltage. The problem appeared to be a dirty or noisy potentiometer. The unit, an original Prodigy with the red LED readout, was bought in 2004. A little electronic cleaner should solve the problem but the unit was sealed with tamper proof screws. Before I fired up the drill press I decided to call Tekonsha. After a few phone tree minutes I chatted with a tech who issued me a case number and said I should send them the old unit and they would take care of it. Today, 10 days from my initial contact, FedEx dropped off my replacement. I expected a refurbished unit similar to what I sent in. What I received is a new Prodigy P2. I'm very impressed. Thank you Tekonsha. Service like that needs to be shared. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thank you for sharing!
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That's SUPER Raz. I have the Tekonsha and that's security knowing they take care of their own. PLUS, you posted a major "positive" about a manufacturer. Seems we only here the BAD on here. So yours is an uplifting post.

Thanks again!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have three of them, the oldest is maybe 17YO.
Good to know!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:55 AM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
A few weeks ago I noticed I was unable to set my Prodigy brake controller to a fixed voltage. The problem appeared to be a dirty or noisy potentiometer. The unit, an original Prodigy with the red LED readout, was bought in 2004. A little electronic cleaner should solve the problem but the unit was sealed with tamper proof screws. Before I fired up the drill press I decided to call Tekonsha. After a few phone tree minutes I chatted with a tech who issued me a case number and said I should send them the old unit and they would take care of it. Today, 10 days from my initial contact, FedEx dropped off my replacement. I expected a refurbished unit similar to what I sent in. What I received is a new Prodigy P2. I'm very impressed. Thank you Tekonsha. Service like that needs to be shared. Raz
We had a Tekonsha installed and we've never been able to get a set number. When hitting the brakes it jumps all over. Now I know what to do. It is only 14 months old. Thanks.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Fantastic Fan is another company that seems to get consistent high marks for customer service. So much, in fact, that it might persuade me to buy that brand over another even if it happened to be a slightly inferior product. I thought that when Dometic acquired them, the tradition of stellar customer service might come to an end, but my recent experience seems to prove otherwise.

Last week I pulled the screen off my fan for only the second time since I bought my Scamp new in Sept 2015. Despite being very careful and doing it as described in the manual, one of the tabs that holds it in place broke so there was a gap when I put it back. Since it was still in the warranty period, I called them and they sent out a replacement at no charge (3 day UPS). I did not even have to prove it was under warranty.

Now, just this week, I notice that the plastic filter holder on my Dometic Air Conditioner also has a tab broken off, so it does not seal and incoming air can by bypass the filter. It is also under warranty.. lets see how this one turns out.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We had a Tekonsha installed and we've never been able to get a set number. When hitting the brakes it jumps all over. Now I know what to do. It is only 14 months old. Thanks.
Its not clear to me what you mean by "jumps all over" but the numbers normally fluctuate while the pedal is being moved based on the brake pressure applied.
Look here, there are several good videos... Go to the space marked "Search Videos" and type in the word "prodigy"

Tekonsha - Video Library
Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 AM   #8
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
When you push the manual mode lever you should see a fixed output which can be adjusted. This is part of the set up procedure. My old prodigy would not do this because of a malfunctioning control. Once the unit is set up, the output varies depending on the braking situation hence proportional braking. I suspect your unit is fine.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
When you push the manual mode lever you should see a fixed output which can be adjusted. This is part of the set up procedure. My old prodigy would not do this because of a malfunctioning control. Once the unit is set up, the output varies depending on the braking situation hence proportional braking. I suspect your unit is fine.
Hi: Raz... Our manual mode is controlled by my wife. When she grabs the door handle I know it's time to apply the brakes.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Raz... Our manual mode is controlled by my wife. When she grabs the door handle I know it's time to apply the brakes.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Do you mean the inside or outside door handle??
Old 08-17-2017, 09:28 AM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Alf, you always make me laugh.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
the numbers normally fluctuate while the pedal is being moved based on the brake pressure applied.

Though there is a correlation between the pressure applied to the pedal and the output of the controller, the output is actually controlled by an accelerometer in the controller which measures the rate of deceleration of the tow vehicle and applies the appropriate voltage to the trailer brakes.

This is probably not relevant to the current discussion, but that's the way it works.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:50 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Though there is a correlation between the pressure applied to the pedal and the output of the controller, the output is actually controlled by an accelerometer in the controller which measures the rate of deceleration of the tow vehicle and applies the appropriate voltage to the trailer brakes.

This is probably not relevant to the current discussion, but that's the way it works.
Good point, but unless the there is a serious brake problem, deceleration occurs in proportion to the pressure applied to the brake pedal. this brings up a few thoughts...
I have both a Prodigy and a Prodigy 2.
The original Prodigy does not respond to deceleration unless the brake pedal is depressed. Downshifting or lifting in a lower gear without braking apparently doesn't effect it.
The Prodigy 2 also requires brake pedal activation.

On my TC, the computer actually interferes with brake pressure under certain conditions. It would then respond as you say since the brake pedal is depressed but pedal pressure is not really proportional to deceleration.

So what happens when the brakes are applied by the computer alone?
I assume the brake lights are activated, but the brake pedal switch is not, giving no signal to the brake controller to activate it.
I haven't checked into this but it could be an issue with TVs which have the panic stop provision activated by obstacles in the lane ahead, since that applies brake pressure, thus deceleration due to braking, without the pedal being activated at all, unless the brake light switch is bypassed at the switch and power is supplied to the aftermarket prodigy power supply wire attached downstream of the switch.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
Raz

Don't you love it when you buy something and then find out how it does or doesn't work?
Old 08-17-2017, 02:22 PM   #15

Name: skalywag
Trailer: Oliver
Tennessee
Registry
speaking of brakes

Not sure what trailer make this is, but ... I don't know what to say.
https://www.facebook.com/10001041769...0903140933605/
skalywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Don't you love it when you buy something and then find out how it does or doesn't work?
Hi: Raz... My Husky controller started to act up. Worked kinda like the neutral coloured house down there does. Good in theory but pushing buttons or back pedaling did nothing to stop you in the end. My RVTech installed a Tekonsha Primus and all's well that stops well. Nothing that $135. inc tx wouldn't cure.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Manufacturers have come up with a novel idea called an Instruction Manual.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Manufacturers have come up with a novel idea called an Instruction Manual.
When you find the page that covers Floyd's concern do let him know.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Yes this is what it should do but we never get a fixed number even when stopped. It fluctuates all the time and never stops changing. I've read the manual and tried to set it but it doesn't work. Thinking I got a bad one.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
When you find the page that covers Floyd's concern do let him know.
I've read the manual and my husband has read the manual(I know that seems strange) as I tried to do the adjustment but it never settles on one number even when stopped.