A cheap and easy way to better towing! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
The interface between my 2" receiver and her male counterpart was pretty sloppy, making for a jerky, clanky tow. I wrapped the male end with duct tape till' nice and snug. HUGE! difference! Towed 2'400 mi. still good (might try to add a little more to account for wear/compaction). Everyone should try this.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Interesting. The one on my tug fits snug. In fact the first time I added the hitch into the receiver I thought I was going to need to grease the dang thing to get it into the hole. But if your solution works for you, and others... GREAT!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
But if your solution works for you, and others... GREAT!
I'll have to try that. My Weight Distribution Hitch Ball/Spring Arm Mount is cast steel, and the part that fits in the Receiver is shaped like a tapered I-beam. It's quite sloppy now.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I've been wondering about this, Donna. My 1-1/4" tow bars (I have three) fit quite snugly in the receiver; yet I have a friend with a new truck and a 2" receiver and the fit is really sloppy. I would find that super annoying!
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Tripple E Surfside
I,ve done that also,
it works good.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:24 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Good Tempoary fix. I do suggest that you try to get a metal sleave that is just big enough. A good Auto parts store should have them in many different thickness and sizes. You will need to cut and drill.
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I found electrical tape also made a nice durable anti-rattle fix too.
Another solution...
I use my MIG to weld a flat bead across the bar right where it is fully inserted into the receiver, then grind it to a custom fit...works great.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
For those people whith the "snug" fit: Remove and grease these frequently or they will likely rust forever in place.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
For those people whith the "snug" fit: Remove and grease these frequently or they will likely rust forever in place.
I take mine out when I'm not towing and store it in a compartment in the car (the two others, which I use with less frequency, live in the shed). I get tired of running into it with my shins otherwise
Old 07-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #10

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Hi Raya, that of course is another good reason. I think leaving the hitch adapter in place is most often done by those with pickup trucks.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #11

Good point, Don. And being from Minnesota myself, I understand about rust (all too well).

Just don't run into the one left installed on the pickup

Raya
Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I've only run into it once. Now, I'm VERY careful.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
My bar didn't rust into place , but my lock rusted internally so bad that I had to cut it off.
One more thing in need of lube.

The weld bead is only at the opening of the receiver which means it is only tightened for less than a 1/4" then loose for extraction.
of course even the "loose ones can rust-up if left long enough.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #14

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Another thing you can use to take up the slop are the wooden window shims. They sell at hardware stores for installing windows. Makes good kindling, too.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #15

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We have been considering the Quiet Hitch from Roadmaster, but the duct tape idea sounds way less expensive! http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/acce...itch/quiet.html
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Another thing you can use to take up the slop are the wooden window shims. They sell at hardware stores for installing windows. Makes good kindling, too.
My reciever was also very sloppy and very annoying and had up and down play as well as side to side movement and seemed to make the camper move more than it should.It is not anymore!! I drilled and tapped for two 5/16 stainless bolts with jam nuts from bottom to push on the tow bar.Now it is solid.Tried the duct tape but didn't like it.If a person had a whole lot of tounge weight as with big trailers it probably wouldn't be noticeable,but with these small trailers and my light boat it is very annoying.I thought it was just my truck and asked the salesman where I bought the truck at about it and checked other trucks and they were all the same.
harold f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
I left a tight fitting one in too long on one of my cars and all the pounding and oil would not remove it- ended up taking to a mechanic who had as much trouble getting it out. He finally got it out by hooking onto it with a forklift and jerked it out! Now I don't leave it in for long periods of time...
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I use the Curt anti-rattle. After trying three other types, I found it to be the best. It is also one of the few that is made for either 2" or 1 1/4" receivers (two different models). for those of you with 1 1/4" receivers like me, note that you have to have a hollew ball-mount to use it.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #19

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I was tired of the rattling too, so I wrapped the thing in duct tape until it was suitably tight. Drove more than 9000 miles to the right coast and back, tried to get the bar out of the receiver and it was nearly impossible. How embarrassing.

I looked into it and found that the rattling was limited to up-and-down motion, so I tested several thicknesses of metal for a shim. When I shoved the combination into the receiver the rattling stopped, and the shim fits reasonably snugly bit is still easy to put in and remove. The clearance and the shim chosen to fit it is likely crucial, and I lucked out with a thin aluminum one.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Walthinsen View Post
I was tired of the rattling too, so I wrapped the thing in duct tape until it was suitably tight. Drove more than 9000 miles to the right coast and back, tried to get the bar out of the receiver and it was nearly impossible. How embarrassing.

I looked into it and found that the rattling was limited to up-and-down motion, so I tested several thicknesses of metal for a shim. When I shoved the combination into the receiver the rattling stopped, and the shim fits reasonably snugly bit is still easy to put in and remove. The clearance and the shim chosen to fit it is likely crucial, and I lucked out with a thin aluminum one.
this works and it locks your receiver also: Stainless Steel Locking, Anti-Rattle Threaded Hitch Pin for 2" Trailer Hitches Softride Locks,Hitch Accessories SR25219
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote