A "no drop" ball mount? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 05:14 AM   #21

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
Years ago, I read in my Coleman pop-up manual that it is better to have the rear end low rather than high. The adverse handling and sway is increased with the tail high. On this forum, some say the opposite. Question: Does any FGRV manual state that the tongue should be low if not level? Think about this: more weight on the hitch is less on the steering! What manual says what?
Here is an article by popular mechanics that covers a lot, scroll to #4 for this specific topic

The Right Way to Tow a Trailer
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Did you look at the one I linked to, at Harbor Freight? Seems like it would work fine with your sway control bracket. You may need a ball with a longer shank, that's all.
My bad. Looking back at that mount, I see what you mean... the ball is welded to the tube! Shucks. I didn't realize that.

Well, gosh. All you really would need is the 2" tube, and drill holes for your ball shank to fit into, right? Seems like it would be easy to make or modify one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have the no rise mount and welded a "tab" on the side, sourced from my local hitch shop, for my sway bar. This is not that tough, people have been towing for years and have already blazed all these trails.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I don't think any of those would work with my anti-sway bar. It has one of these coming off my mount, so a ball permanently mounted on the hitch isn't going to work. I need to be able to mount that between the ball and ball mount.

The mount I have is 2" drop, 1" rise (or 3/4" depending on what description you look at...) so I need something more flat than that.

Jon, do you know where you got yours? I think I saw something like what I want but it was for a 2 1/2" hitch I think...
Try WalMart's RV section. Or, a trailer shop. Or a Farm & Home store. they have a good selection of hitches and balls. Ya pays your money and takes your pick!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:04 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Alright, thanks everyone. Looks like I have some options. I haven't checked local shops yet only because I feel like if there were an already manufactured mount like what I'm looking for, it would be on etrailer or the internet in general. Since I don't see one, I have trouble believing a local shop would have one. But a local shop could definitely fabricate one. That's a good suggestion.

I'll bet my 1" (or 3/4") rise mount will be perfect once I put 15" wheels on the trailer. But my current tires are brand new so that'll be a little while.

Carol, the adjustable mount you mentioned would probably work. For some reason I don't like those...but I should probably just get over it

For the back of the trailer being high vs low, I can say that low isn't good. My experience with towing the trailer home when I first bought it is that with the weight to the back of the trailer, it kind of "drifts" a lot. It bounces around on it's own, pulls back against the truck, and is generally less stable. It's kind of just floating there on it's own, almost at times pulling up on the ball/truck.

When leaning forward, it's not just floating on its own suspension. It's also leaning on the ball so there's another point of contact, and more stability. Like people mentioned, too much of that and it's starting to lift the front of the tow vehicle and that isn't good either.

So in my mind and limited experience, the advice to tow flat or leaning slightly forward makes the most sense.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #26

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oh, I know what you need: a bit more rear-end sag on the truck! Just load a couple of sand bags back there and the trailer will be level!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:39 PM   #27

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yep Actually if I just took out my rear air bags I'd be all set...But no thanks.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #28

Name: Eugene
Trailer: 2016 13Ft Scamp
Florida
2016 13 ft SCAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp says that for a Scamp13 the height should be 18" to the top of the ball.
Mine is 14 inch to the top of the ball to be level.

I found a lot of what is in scamp video is wrong.
EugeneFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote