A Personal Look Back at Hitching Aids - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #21

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I had never towed anything until I had my 13' Trillium. And I've always had to hitch by myself. When I spied that same coupler that you have Francesca. Defferent name, same unit.

I bought this unit at the local RV shop.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1429.jpg  
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #22

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreen Bradshaw View Post
I had never towed anything until I had my 13' Trillium. And I've always had to hitch by myself. When I spied that same coupler that you have Francesca. Defferent name, same unit.

I bought this unit at the local RV shop.
Cool- I didn't know there was another company making them, too!

How do you like it?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #23

Registry
Francesca, I look closer at the info you posted and realized we are talking about the same unit. LOL

I like this one. Although I have gotten pretty good at hitching without too many in's and out's. I line up the centre of the TV (back ceiling light) and have the ball in the right position most of the time. But it's nice knowing that if I get a little distracted, the coupler will keep me from hitting the TV bumper and marking it. Even more important since I bought a new Ford Escape this year.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Francesca, I look closer at the info you posted and realized we are talking about the same unit. LOL

I like this one. Although I have gotten pretty good at hitching without too many in's and out's. I line up the centre of the TV (back ceiling light) and have the ball in the right position most of the time. But it's nice knowing that if I get a little distracted, the coupler will keep me from hitting the TV bumper and marking it. Even more important since I bought a new Ford Escape this year.
I hear ya-

I feel exactly the same way, and here's a confession:
I do a fair amount of solo-traveling, too...and call me paranoid, but it seems to me that every man in a campground is watching when I'm hitching up, just waiting for the "female driver" to make a mess of it.

Never happens with that little old coupler connect- it's first time, every time! Pretty satisfying to see the surprised looks on guys' faces...

Francesca
Old 12-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #25

Registry
LOL! I certainly know that feeling, Francesca. In reality, they probably don't notice, I sure feel like they are just waiting....... LOL!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #26

Registry
Quote:
LOL! I certainly know that feeling, Francesca. In reality, they probably don't notice, I sure feel like they are just waiting....... LOL!
Oh, they notice!
Haven't you ever had a guy volunteer to "help" by standing behind and giving hand signals? Come to think of it, that's a perfect example of yet another "hitching aid device" as yet unmentioned in this thread on that very subject: The Helpful Camper-Next-Door!

Though I s'pose the guys reading this thread don't see much of him since there's some kind of a man-rule that prohibits such interventions unless/until the backing man hits somebody else's trailer/car/picnic table etc.

Trailer on, Sister!

Francesca
Old 12-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #27

Registry
Yeah, I guess that has happened to me as well....(the part about a man offering his help) And I agree, they would never offer to park another guy's camper for him. LOL

If they offered to help my daughter when she parking, they better duck quick! She's been backing all kinds of trailers since she learned to walk. Haha.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I usually have a very nice 'hello how are you' type of conversation when they come over, then I shoo them back to their campsites.
And to all you gents out there, I absolutely appreciate all the offers. Thank You for always being willing to help out.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
we do better when my wife backs up and i tell her where to go. ( i mean left or right, back, back, turn your wheels left, turn them right, stop.)
+1 +1
Old 12-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #30

Name: Brett
Trailer: 05 Escape 17b
British Columbia
Registry
I with many others am lucky that my spouse and I travel together.

We find it works best with the "less is more" principle.

The only needed commands are left, right, and stop.

I will admit it did take a bit of time to convince my wife that she did not not need to motion to come back. I explained that i would continue backing until she said stop. Stand where you can be seen in vehicle mirror, point left or right as needed, then closed fist for stop.

I think some other campers have been impressed when we hook up with no words spoken, and now it doesn't matter who drives or who directs.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandr View Post
The only needed commands are left, right, and stop.
Pretty much, keeping it simple is always best. I laugh when someone not used to aiding me in reversing starts spinning their hands, like I am supposed to make sens of that. Just point the direction you want the vehicle (or trailer) to go.

Work wise, I have been involved with both driving and directing vehicles, with and without trailers. Our signals were.

- Pointing left or right - move slowly in that direction
- Wagging hand and finger hard while pointing - move quicker in that direction
- Hold hands vertical and parallel with each other - straight back
- Additionally to above, you can hold your hands apart the distance needed to reverse yet.
- Palm up and facing driver - stop
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
Yet Another Hitching Aid

The Swift Hitch Back Up Camera has been called a "marriage saver" by some couples. It greatly reduces the effort required to hitch up the trailer.

I found the system on Craigslist. The owner bought it and discovered his truck did not have enough power for his new trailer. When he upgraded his truck to a 3/4 ton, the truck came with the backup system in his rear view mirror.

I have used the alignment poles, a mirror, hitch guide and even my security camera system in the past. I frequently travel alone and hitch and unhitch my trailer often in my travels. The Switch Hitch Camera System is now my favorite hitch assist device.

The problem with the security camera system I had is, I had to move the small monitor from inside the trailer to inside the truck and plug it in to an inverter. Since I now have the monitor semi-permanently secured in the trailer it was not convenient to use it as a dual purpose device.

There are a lot of things to like about the Swift Hitch. It is completely wireless and battery powered. Neither the camera or the monitor requires an AC plugin. A 12 volt cable with two leads charges both devices at once. The camera also has night vision and illuminates a 15 ft area at night. The camera can also be used to monitor the outside of the trailer at night.

The camera has a magnet on the back of it that attaches to the tailgate of the truck. With monitor in hand I can ensure it is aligned for a good view of the hitch ball. With the monitor moved to the truck, it is easy to back the hitch ball to the coupler on the trailer.

I like the hitch ball positioned slightly to the front of the coupler.

You should be able to feel the clamp around the bottom of the ball when the coupler is connected.

If you flip the lever over on the coupler and do not encounter any resistance, you likely have a false hookup.

Swift Hitch Backup Camera Review Video | etrailer.com
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile A Cave Man Method

Yikes! Everything is getting digitized!!
I have developed a method for getting the distance correct.
After backing up to a reasonable proximity, set the parking brake, take any convenient stick and measure the distance hitch to ball. When back in the driver's seat, lay the stick on the ground and use the edge of the open door as viewed against the stick as a gauge as to how far to back.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #34

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I've done that, Roger. Used a steel tape stretched out to maybe 1'. I'd say it worked pretty well to gauge an inch and a half rather than guessing and going six inches. Contributing to my problem with the fine tuning is sloping driveway. One of the hardest adjustments to make is forward. There is often an additional slip forward going from drive to park on an auto trans even if the parking brake is applied. I have got the habit now of merely pausing the inline shifter in reverse on the way to park. This removes the slack usually. I always use lo range 4whl when hitchingn up on my driveway and almost never at a camp site that's reasonably level.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have used that measuring trick too, but I just eyeball the distance to the ball, then do the same for ground reference beside the vehicle. Very accurate.

Though now I cheat when using my Pilot, and just watch the monitor on the GPS which displays the backup camera when reversing.

I still hook up to our constructions trailers most often (a few times a week), and do not have the luxury of a camera.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I go solo and hook-up without a human helper 98% of the time. I have a backup camera and I use the same DuraSafe coupler connect product as Frances, plus those alignment rods with the yellow ball (Harbor Freight). It works great for me. Though I do have to get out of my TV multiple times to check final distance.

I love Rob's swift hitch camera, but looking at the video, you still have to get out to check on the last couple of inches. I'd rather have a "permanent" mount for the backup camera for my TV.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #37

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
One of the benefits of a 13' trailer is that you can pick up the trailer receiver and plop it on the hitch. No drama.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
One of the benefits of a 13' trailer is that you can pick up the trailer receiver and plop it on the hitch. No drama.
AMEN brother!
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
But that would be cheating!

Francesca
Old 12-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #40

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
My Trillium was so light that I just got it close and then lifted the darned thing into place!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote