abnormal tire wear on Scamp 16 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #15

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Had the same wear on curb side tire, with our 2000 16 ft Scamp. But only after 4 years and many long trips. I changed it with the spare and have not seen that problem since. Have replaced both tires a couple years ago with better quality ones, no sign of adverse wear.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:43 AM   #16

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Toe in/out

I would think that either wheel being misaligned via toe in/out would cause equal wear on both tires. A car has the rear wheels and the good front wheel to cause the fourth wheel to drag, but a trailer with only two wheels would find the path of least resistance which should produce the same drag on both tires.
Maybe you could have a friend drive behind you whilst towing and have him give the alignment an eyeball. Or maybe you could drive straight in a parking lot, stop and take a look at how your trailer is aligned with the car. Driving through a wet patch would produce tire tracks...
Do you know what it means when a car "dog tracks?" That is when the rear axle is no longer aligned with the front axle and the car goes down the road at an angle. I would think a trailer would do the same.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post
Hi Folks,
Thanks for your comments. It's actually a Lippert axle I believe. As I said above, Scamp is involved in the discussion. At this point, we're waiting for the shop I took it to to make their diagnosis.
S
Will be interesting to hear what they say. Was it a shop Scamp suggested you use?

Just as a side note I know a party who had a new very popular FG trailer who after a few thousand miles of travel noted unusual tire wear. The tire manufacture replaced the tire. Happened again in very short order - this time the trailer manufacturer replaced the axle as it was thought "possible" to be the issue & the manufacturer decided to be pro active and eliminate it as the possible cause and changed it out quickly so as not to inconvenience the customer further. Odd tire wear happened again. This time around a closer inspection was done on the first axle that came off the trailer, as well as the second one on the trailer - turns out both axles which had come from a well known axle manufacturer had been incorrectly manufactured (something was misaligned in the assembly).
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:56 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Four years ago I went on a 4200 mile trip with my Scamp 16.
I noticed the same wear on the outside edge of the passenger side tire.
I had a tire shop reverse the tire on the wheel and for some reason the tire wore well for the rest of the trip.
Don't ask me why!!

John
Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #19

Name: Chuck
Trailer: Scamp 16 Deluxe
Washington
Steve: I visited poor Scamp yesterday at the shop, and took the tire out (I had left it in the trailer for diagnostic purposes) and rolled it across the parking lot, per your suggestion. With the wear on one side like that, i expected it to track to the right side, but it rolled straight and true, with no gallop or wobble.

Carol: I use a trailer manufacturer here north of Seattle, and Kent at Scamp seemed ok with them, but he did not actually recommend them. They have the trailer in their queue.

I've also heard back from Lippert, the axle manufacturer, but so far it seems to be only the stock canned email responses, requesting more info and pictures. Lippert wanted a picture of the leaf springs...(seriously). I sure hope this can be fixed with an alignment/bearing/balancing adjustment.

As soon as I get some useful info from the shop, I'll be sure to update this thread. It is encouraging to hear that other folks have had the same issue, and it was easily fixed.

Thanks everybody.

Chuck
beardrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Picture of leaf spring - On the leaf spring there is probably an alignment pin that if it snaps off the axle can shift. I had one break on a car driving down to Florida, did not matter how tight the axle bolts were clamped to the spring if that alignment pin was broken the axle would shift and dog track. I would drive backwards into a curb to knock it forward for the next couple of hours of driving, until the next morning when we could get into a dealer.

Just an FYI - watch a medium sized dog with fairly long legs run. The back end of the dog shifts over to the side so the rear legs don't run into the front legs. Thus the term dog tracking for a trailer or rear end that is off set to the side rather than directly behind the front tires.

Toe in can cause outside wear, and if there is something loose toe in can be excessive but straighten out as you speed up. Think how a wobbly wheel on a toy wagon will wobble until you get it going fast then it sort of straightens itself out. Have seen that before. Tire scuffed at low speeds but as speed increased it straightened out and rolled smooth. Straight was the path of least resistance for a rolling tire. Toe in was the natural position of the loose assembly. Ate the outside edge of the tire but was not especially rough feeling at speed.

Excessive positive camber causes wear at that location but too much load tends to cause negative camber, wear on the inside edge. At least on a torsion axle which is arched so that under weight the arch flattens and the tire camber shifts to the correct amount.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardrum View Post

Carol: I use a trailer manufacturer here north of Seattle, and Kent at Scamp seemed ok with them, but he did not actually recommend them. They have the trailer in their queue.

I've also heard back from Lippert, the axle manufacturer, but so far it seems to be only the stock canned email responses, requesting more info and pictures. Lippert wanted a picture of the leaf springs...(seriously). I sure hope this can be fixed with an alignment/bearing/balancing adjustment.
As long you are comfortable that the shop is a good one thats the important part and hopefully Scamp has indicated they will cover it if it turns out to be a trailer warranty issue. If the shop determines it to be an axle issue hopefully they will also be good enough to supply the axle manufacture with the info they have requested back. Most good shops will when dealing with warranty type issues.

Hopefully its not actually the axle though and something much simpler to deal with.

Does anyone know when Scamp actually started using Lippert axle's?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #22

Washington
Roger: That's one of the reasons I'm frustrated: my Scamp doesn't have leaf springs, but the axle people seem to think it does. I'd have thought they could tell from the serial number that it's a torsion axle. They probably aren't paying much attention yet. I'm going to wait until I get a verdict from the local trailer shop.

Chuck
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #23

Washington
As it turns out, according to the shop the axle and alignment are within specs, if not perfect. That brings us back around to the tire. Kent is sending me out a new one. I'll take the damaged one and the new one to Les Schwab and ask them to mount the new tire and look at the old one and see if there is anything else to be learned.

Meanwhile, I'll keep a close eye on the the tires.

cg
Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
I had a '77 Jeep Cherokee that ate tires. The right tire outside corner wore down to the belts! Luckily we were at a rest stop when I noticed it and put the spare one. The alignment shop said that Jeeps couldn't be aligned (I think it was camber) because of the solid axle.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #25

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
How long did it take to put on 5,000 miles? If it was 4 or more years, it's probably not worth it to fix whatever it is that is causing the tire to wear out.

Old tires, whether they look 'old' or not, are just as dangerous as bald tires.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #26

Washington
The whole rig was brand-spankin' new last October 15th!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:52 PM   #27

Washington
could this be the issue?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bent axle.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	86469

The wheels are off the trailer and it's blocked up under the frame just behind the wheels, so there is no weight on the hubs. There is about 1/4"-3/8" of gap between the axle and the straightedge there in the middle of the axle. Is that normal? Could that be the cause of the wear I'm seeing on the tire (see the first post in this thread)?

What do you think?

[no idea why the second pix comes out upside down]
Attached Thumbnails
bent axle 2.jpg  
Old 07-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #28

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Chuck, the axles are "bent" by a machine to align the axle. Take it to a trailer axle alignment shop to have them "tweek" it. Make sure you bring in the worn tires for them to inspect.
Dave & Paula

Tags
scamp