abnormal tire wear on Scamp 16 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #29

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I believe that is normal "Camber" built into the axle by the MFG. It's common in all of the ridged trailer axles I have ever worked with. Think about what the back wheels of an old VW Beetle looks like.

Check with the mfg and ask how much "Space" should be in the middle of the straight edge.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #30

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I've been reading this thread with great interest and have to ask a few questions out of sheer curiosity. First off, I was under the impression that it is normal for the torsion axle (like my Dexter 2200 lb) to be sort of bowed in the middle? I don't know why?

Second, I've read here about alignment. Is aligning a trailer the same as one gets for a vehicle? That is to have the proper camber and tow? Then is getting a trailer aligned something one does when it is observed that it's dog legging or not towing right, or in this case, eating tires? Or is this a periodic maintenance thing one should just "do." I also am not sure if some stickies have torsion axles...doubt if many RV shops around here would have any experience at all with a FG trailer.

One gets a vehicle aligned here in NY more often than desired due to horrific winters and the aftermath of pot holes (ouch) fallen into in spring. Vehicle starts pulling one way or another...yuck.

Another question: does/should one rotate tires on a trailer after so many miles (like one does with a vehicle, every couple of oil changes or so)?

Thank you very much for the post and the opportunity for learning that it brings, but I am sorry for your tire troubles. I hope it's nothing too serious or expensive and that all will be well soon.

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post
I've been reading this thread with great interest and have to ask a few questions out of sheer curiosity. First off, I was under the impression that it is normal for the torsion axle (like my Dexter 2200 lb) to be sort of bowed in the middle? I don't know why?

Second, I've read here about alignment. Is aligning a trailer the same as one gets for a vehicle? That is to have the proper camber and tow? Then is getting a trailer aligned something one does when it is observed that it's dog legging or not towing right, or in this case, eating tires? Or is this a periodic maintenance thing one should just "do." I also am not sure if some stickies have torsion axles...doubt if many RV shops around here would have any experience at all with a FG trailer.

A lot of trailers have torsion axles. If your trailer is dog legging the axle has moved out of alignment on the frame on one side from square to the tongue. As far as camber and tow, it can be knocked out by hitting a curb or a good hole, bummer.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:00 PM   #32

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Thank you Dave. So, if there were no axle issues, such as in dog legging, if you simply had an issue of camber or tow in/out, might the trailer tow in a certain way to alert you that something is amiss?

Also, if one goes to an rv shop, do they correct camber or tow to Scamp's specs, or the specs called for by the Dexter axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
scamp