About wind, stabilization bars, etc. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
About wind, stabilization bars, etc.

A friend told me he bought a Trillium way back when and he sold it after his first trip because the wind freaked him up when he would drive with it.

Just came home from a drive on a windy highway and couldn't help but wonder "How would it be to be pulling my Boler?"

Do most of you use a stabilizing system or not? Do you stay home on windy days? How about windy days at the campground?

Thank you beforehand!

PS: Tomorrow, I'll be vacuuming my trailer and washing the inside for the first time since getting it last week. My wife hasn't seen the inside yet! I'm hoping to get to it before her...
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You can start by loading your trailer properly and knowing how much it weighs and what your tongue weight is.
This guide will help a lot.
Trailer Loading and Towing Guide
Old 01-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
No Sway Device

As stated, load it properly, hitch it properly and it tows beautifully, with no sway.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1875.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've never experienced any stability issues with my Trillium. I have nothing other than the ball hitch on the trailer. As others have suggested, I suspect your friend had less than adequate tongue weight. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
So most of you own a Sherline scale?

Good advice indeed! Made me smile when I read not to take the road when it's windy as it was a tongue in cheek question when I started this thread.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
proper ball hitch height

Whenever I see these small trailers not ball mounted properly I shudder a bit. The trailer should be ever so slightly "down hill" from level. This is as important as the 10% tongue weight ratio to trailer weight. At least it is in my view.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1875.jpg  
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post

Good advice indeed! Made me smile when I read not to take the road when it's windy as it was a tongue in cheek question when I started this thread.
I suspect most do not. Most folks just go to a local scale and weigh the trailer.

I personally never add any anti sway devices to a trailer until I am sure I have it well balanced and level & riding with adequate tongue weight. I will do lots of trips with it to make sure it is. If the trailer is at all wiggly in windy conditions or passing trucks I try to figure out the reasons for it.... i.e not enough tongue weight or trailer not level or with tongue slightly down, unevenly loaded inside etc.

An anti sway bar should not be something that is being called upon to keep the trailer from swaying every time your pulling it - it should only be used as an extra safety item that is only needed in those one off situations that we all hope actually never happens.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:00 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
My first tow with the Casita was from North Dakota to Alberta in a windstorm with winds so strong I had to push my drivers door with both feet to get it open. No sway or stability problems with a standard hitch, no sway bar. I have since added a weight distribution hitch for leveling. I was driving behind some stickies and was amazed how much they were dog tracking down the road and the casita was rock solid, that really sold me on how the curved body helped.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Carol's correct if you NEED a sway control you have a problem that needs to be corrected.

I'm an old guy who's been towing something all of my life and have never used a sway control or felt the need for one.

The rounded contours of the average egg lessens the effect of wind.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:29 AM   #10
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
I checked mine with a bathroom scale.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:37 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Saturday I saw a perfect example of a poorly loaded rig.
It first caught my eye because it was doing about 45 mph. on the interstate.
Then I noticed the Harley on a rear motorcycle mount on the back of the trailer.
There was a very slowly moving (actually the same speed as the trailer and Harley) 3/4 ton pulling this rig.
It looked like the hitch was pulling up on the rear of the truck!
Equipped with stabilizer bars and WDH.
I would guess that even at 45 -50 mph this was a white knuckle adventure!
It goes to show that even with money for a nice big truck and nice trailer and Harley this does not guarantee enough brains for safe towing.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:27 AM   #12

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I checked mine with a bathroom scale.

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #13

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I tow a 17' Casita. It has the high lift axle, and raised another 3" by Little House Customs, with with a 2011 Toyo Tundra. I follow Carol H's regime.

However I have towed with and without the Anderson WDH, and notice a slight difference. I do have a Sherline scale and use it, because I mess around a lot, adding this and that, taking things off, etc. I have been in some very strong winds and storms, with nary a problem.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #14

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Our '73 amerigo FG-16 was an amazingly smooth pull at up to 70 mph (TV--Dodge Grand Caravan, limit 3500, 350 tongue) -- even when being passed by triple semis. In fact, the ride in the caravan was much better with the trailer than it has ever been without it. Seemed to act as a sea anchor or something, smoothed it out, stabilized it. Cannot wait until it's all back together and we can get it to a scale and find out what it weighs before we load it (and after).

Years ago we had a sticky and it did nothing but jerk and buck and rock and sway...I never did get used to the feeling, towing with a Ford F-150. After towing the amerigo, I began to wonder if maybe we had loaded the sticky back-heavy...it's possible.

We have a stabilizer bar, and didn't use it or feel the need for it once in hundreds of miles towing, uphill and down, tight curves and banked curves, crowned roads, country roads...
Neighbor wife told us we had better get it attached pronto! -- Neighbor husband told us, "no way!" So it's YMMV, I guess. We'll probably bring it when we tow...just in case.

The amerigo does, however, have very low ground clearance, and we hit the heck out of a curb when pulling off to get burgers. What a noise! Ouch!
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Saturday I saw a perfect example of a poorly loaded rig.
It first caught my eye because it was doing about 45 mph. on the interstate.
I followed a 13' Boler being pulled by an older truck here in North Vancouver a couple of months ago. When a semi went by him it wiggled noticeable. It was not a big wag but way more than I would feel comfortable towing with. It looked to me that a good wind blow at a higher speed would have it wagging fast.

We both took the same exit and as I came up along side him at a stop light, I noted the trailers tongue was sitting WAY to high and it had no propane tank on it to boot....... unlevelled trailer and lack of tongue weight a good combo for sway.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote