Absolute Best tires for 16' scamp and help reading date codes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: E
Trailer: Aliner
Georgia
Absolute Best tires for 16' scamp and help reading date codes

Hi all!

My scamp needs new tires. I would like to get the best available as I think we will be doing longer distances than I have in the past. Any recommendations? It's only 3 tires so Honestly I'm not going to penny pinch this one. I do perhaps like to drive a little faster than I should on the interstate. layout 7 if that helps. Very light.

also...I just had tires put on my old camper which I will be selling. I was in a hurry and just went with what they had which were Tow Master made in china. I can't find a manufacture date on them unless it is 02 and 03!!!!

It's not in the usual place after the DOT label - so I wondered if there was a place online to decode them. If they are really that old I will take them back and demand newer ones before I sell.

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Minnesota
Registry
Here you go, hope this helps!

How Old Are My Trailer Tires? - Plug in your DOT Code and find out!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
What size wheels do you have? Assuming 13s...

This is the one you want...
http://www.discounttire.com/buy-tire...ail-hd/p/27240

How to read a sidewall...

http://www.discounttire.com/learn/reading-tire-sidewall
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by real550A View Post

It's weird - they don't seem to conform to the standard labeling. It says DY where I would expect a date. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	104060Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3535.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	104061
Old 03-19-2017, 04:29 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I recently went through the exercise of buying new tires. I did a lot of reading. The general concensus is to avoid off brand tires, particularly the ones made in China. Unfortunately, for name brands the reviews are mixed. I found that some love Goodyear while others hate them. Some love Carlisle while others hate them. For years I've run Carlisle radials but the new design didn't impress. Based solely on the recommendation of folks here I bought Maxxis 8008. Are they the absolute best? Time will tell.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

On my tires the date code is not with the raised letters around the rim. There is an oval depression somewhere on the sidewall with four digits- WWYY- appears to be a stamp that's added to the tire mold and changed weekly. When buying new tires, ask to check the date code before they install. I'd be comfortable up to 6 months old or so.

I recently learned that Scamp now puts D load range tires on new 16'ers. More information here. A D range tire gives you a more comfortable safety margin, since the loaded weight of a 16'er can approach the limits of a C range 13" tire. Might not be necessary on a Layout 7, but as you said, why pinch pennies?

As to the best brand, there are a lot of strong opinions out there, based mostly on anecdotal experience, but little independent testing of ST tires. Raz has identified the big three: Goodyear, Carlisle, and Maxxis. Some argue for LT tires instead of ST (another big debate), but I don't think that's an option for 13" tires.

In the end, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Whatever you get, taking care of them improves the odds in your favor. Inspect for damage and check the pressure daily when traveling, cover when parked, raise off the ground and reduce pressure for extended storage.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #7

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I'll agree with the Carlisle HD recommendation. Looks like the new MUSA Goodyear is not available in 13".
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
Hi all!

My scamp needs new tires. I would like to get the best available as I think we will be doing longer distances than I have in the past. Any recommendations? It's only 3 tires so Honestly I'm not going to penny pinch this one. I do perhaps like to drive a little faster than I should on the interstate. layout 7 if that helps. Very light.

also...I just had tires put on my old camper which I will be selling. I was in a hurry and just went with what they had which were Tow Master made in china. I can't find a manufacture date on them unless it is 02 and 03!!!!

It's not in the usual place after the DOT label - so I wondered if there was a place online to decode them. If they are really that old I will take them back and demand newer ones before I sell.

Thanks,

Elizabeth
Hi: Yarnstormer... All tires are dated. The code will be usually found in an oval spot on the inside sidewall of the tire. (Not to convenient) It will appear as a 4 number code. First 2 are the week... second 2 are the year. ie: (1117) for tires made last week.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Date codes are on one side only. Sometimes the tires are mounted with the date inside and you have to take the tires off or crawl under the trailer and look at the backside. When buying tire check to see that the tires were manufactured within the last 6 months, at least the last year. don't buy old "new" tires.

I had a blowout on the road. (these tires were only 3 years old, and yes I always check my air pressure). Changed my own tire on the side of the road. Then went to the nearest town (we were traveling) and bought 2 new tires. Don't need three because the 3rd tire is only to get me to the nearest town to get new tires. I would always buy two of the same brand.

Note when changing tire: Scissor jacks don't work when the rim is on the ground, can't get it to move up. Someone stopped by and let me use their small hydraulic jack to raise the frame up high enough for the scissor jack to take over.

Moral of the story: I bought a small hydraulic jack, a medium size Hydraulic jack and a Lug wrench with long arms (easier to unscrew the lug nuts). Also have a couple of wide board to put the jacks on.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Cooper tires are the greatest and maked here for us by us!
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #11

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
From "Modern Tire Dealer" website:

Michelin (HQ in France) has more consumer tire production capacity in the U.S. than any other company, and Bridgestone is fourth, behind Goodyear and Cooper. Also many other companies manufacture tires in the US.

Just FYI, Cooper makes tires in China and Mexico, as well as in the US.

The U.S. DOT requires that all tires be marked with a code that provides information about the tire, called the Tire Identification Number. The Tire Identification Number begins with the letters "DOT." The following two numbers or letters indicate where the tires were manufactured. The last four numbers show the week and year the tire was manufactured.

A list of the tire codes associated with American production facilities can be found at the following link:

All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We replaced the factory ST175/80R13's with ST185/80R13's. I think with Goodyear Marathons. That increased the max load capacity at 50psi from 1360 to 1480 lb/tire. But I ran then at 35 - 40 psi. for a softer ride.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MAXXIS hands down. Dont settle for anything less.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
MAXXIS hands down. Dont settle for anything less.
Or some other brand.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 PM   #15

Georgia
I can't believe I did not think to check the inner side - I will look tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #16

Georgia
December 2016 - think that is good enough!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarnstormer View Post
December 2016 - think that is good enough!
LOL.. if you do go to the tire dealer and get "new" tires, they might very well be older!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
We converted to 14" tires on our 16' Scamp. Wanted more capacity in each tire, and wanted tires that are easier to find when needed than the 13" tires.
We currently have Carlisle Radial Trail HD "D" rated tires. They are made in China, but hopefully the Carlisle oversight and the 81 MPH rating will ensure it serves us well at 65 MPH and below.
I recently read that Goodyear now makes their Endurance tire in the USA, so that might be a good idea too, although 14" is the smallest available.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, tires