Adding brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Joy, I think you meant drums and hubs, not spindles. The new hubs are an integral part of the brake drums (which are the most expensive part of adding brakes) and the old hubs are discarded.

The spindles are an integral part of the axle, to which the brake flanges are welded before the liquid nitrogen assembly process, so spindle replacement on a torsion axle means entire axle replacement.

I am sure of this because I had to replace my axle because one spindle was damaged by a bad bearing (my fault for not lubing).

Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Joy, I think you meant drums and hubs, not spindles. The new hubs are an integral part of the brake drums (which are the most expensive part of adding brakes) and the old hubs are discarded.
Sure, while some axles have bolt-on spindles, the typical Torflex is a welded unit as Pete describes, so separately replacing the spindles in that case is nonsensical. If "Scamp" always implies "Torflex", then Joy must not have separately replaceable spindles.

My only problem with this interpretation is that a pair of Dexter drum/hubs would need to be gold-plated to be worth US$212, so I was guessing there were more parts in this case. Maybe it's just that the bearings were bundled with the drums?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Brian, my drum-hubs, from Scamp, did include the bearings with the appropriate parts already pressed in, lubed and ready to slip onto a clean spindle. For some reason, likely quantity, the 7" brakes used on 13' trailers cost more than the 10" brakes used on larger trailers and they are not inexpensive (for some reason, Scamp no longer lists the drum-hubs in their price list).

Tags
brakes