Adding brakes - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #15

Name: Kenny
Trailer: '79 13' trillium
Ontario
Dexter stands out better than other trailer shops?

Old 12-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #16

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksimdjembe View Post
Dexter stands out better than other trailer shops?
Dexter is a very large manufacturer of axles, springs, hubs and brakes. They sell to the shops that install. They also sell to distributors that sell to shops.

Product typically moves this way;

Dexter to wholesale distributor to shop to you

Old 12-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #17

Ontario
Thanks. That's what I thought, though wasn't perfectly sure.

I've shopped around a bit, and a local place will either weld on a plate to the existing axle, switch out the existing axle for an aftermarket axle, or if I specify, they'll switch out the axle for a Dexter brand. Welding onto the existing axle isn't ny preferred option. Is there a huge difference between aftermarket or Dexter brand? Is Dexter that much tougher? They don't normally carry them, but will order it in. The rough price quote was more like $800 - $1100. (dexter making it pricier)
Old 12-24-2014, 03:57 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thanks. That's what I thought, though wasn't perfectly sure.

I've shopped around a bit, and a local place will either weld on a plate to the existing axle, switch out the existing axle for an aftermarket axle, or if I specify, they'll switch out the axle for a Dexter brand. Welding onto the existing axle isn't ny preferred option. Is there a huge difference between aftermarket or Dexter brand? Is Dexter that much tougher? They don't normally carry them, but will order it in. The rough price quote was more like $800 - $1100. (dexter making it pricier)

Shop around a bit more. It's been reported here replacement axles from Dexter about half that price installed. But, that was then.

As for welding on a backing plate, that will probably destroy the current axle. This a rubber torsion alxe. There is rubber in the ends that provide the spring action. Here's pretty good information about Dexter small trailer axles.

I suggest that call Dexter and see if they'll sell directly to you or somebody close at much lower price.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #19

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Contact by PHONE:
Paul Neumeister
345 Huron Road, Sebringville, Ontario, NOK 1X0
Phone: 519-393-6410 (shop) 393-6776 (home)

Paul owns Fibreglass RV Parts, Repairs, and Service by Paul Neumeister he will either be able to help you directly, or he may be able to give a good recommendation for a shop.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Shop around a bit more. It's been reported here replacement axles from Dexter about half that price installed. But, that was then.

Really? I spent $600 and change just to get an axle shipped and dropped in my driveway from Scamp. Probably could have bought one cheaper but certainly not installed for half $800-$1100.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman

Posted by Timber Wolf
Really? I spent $600 and change just to get an axle shipped and dropped in my driveway from Scamp. Probably could have bought one cheaper but certainly not installed for half $800-$1100.
First off I said "reported here" Second I said "about".

Now go to link Read Post #8, I didn't search farther.

So sorry you spent so much.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #22

Ontario
Remember ny tie vehicle is the Subaru forester .
So, on the way home the other day, I stopped into the local Subaru dealer's to ask about brake controllers. In discussion, they honestly suggested that the trailer shop be the guys to install the brake controller on the car side, and that with an adapter, it would allow the current 4 pin wire to run the seven pin male end on the trailer.
Does that make sense to people?
1 that Subaru would suggest the trailer guys do the car end brake controller and
2 that an adapter can be added to a 4 pin wire harness currently in the car that can run the 7 pin end / and brakes on the trailer?

I'm not convinced and need to call/ shop around some more.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
4 pin connectors do not include the brake controller wiring, nor the charge wire for your trailer battery.

Dunno if the Forester has a plug-in under the dash for the brake controller. I sold mine when I bought a Casita because it couldn't handle the tongue weight.

You need a better shop.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Remember ny tie vehicle is the Subaru forester .
So, on the way home the other day, I stopped into the local Subaru dealer's to ask about brake controllers. In discussion, they honestly suggested that the trailer shop be the guys to install the brake controller on the car side, and that with an adapter, it would allow the current 4 pin wire to run the seven pin male end on the trailer.
Does that make sense to people?
1 that Subaru would suggest the trailer guys do the car end brake controller and
2 that an adapter can be added to a 4 pin wire harness currently in the car that can run the 7 pin end / and brakes on the trailer?

I'm not convinced and need to call/ shop around some more.

Makes sense to me. Everyone who pulls a trailer with brakes with a Subaru needs to go to a hitch speciality shop to have the brake controller wiring run from rear of car to engine compartment then back to under the cars dash to plug the controller into it and to have a 7 pin harness wired into the 4 pin that the factory installed. That will allow you to use the brakes on the trailers as well as add a charge line to allow you to charge the trailers battery when driving.

The guys at the Subaru shop do not sell or install trailer wiring or brake controllers or 7 pin wiring harnesses. Not a surprise 95% of the Subaru's sold never tow a thing! Before they started offering their own Subaru hitches direct from the factory about 6 years ago the dealers sent there Subaru's out to a local hitch shop to have the hitch installed as well.

No Subaru comes from the factory with a blue trailer brake/controller line already installed (actually a lot of vehicles do not) only the 4 pin pre wired that works the trailers lights only.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post

Dunno if the Forester has a plug-in under the dash for the brake controller.
Nope none of the Subaru's do, not unlike many other passenger vehicles.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #26

Ontario
Oi. Just for the record: the place I dropped in on isn't my shop.

But as I explained, definitely got me scratching my head.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Kenny, you do need to put the brake controller on your Subaru. I suggest getting a Prodigy 2. There are others, but I'm familiar with that brand and know it works well. I would order the controller, and the wiring kit from Trailer Hitches & Vehicle Accessories (800)298-8924 They have videos to help you understand how it works and how to install it.

You can also take the kit and the controller to a local trailer shop and they will install it for you if you prefer. The wiring kit I got had a 4-pin connector next to the 7-pin connector. Your Scamp will use the 7-pin, and you can use the 4-pin for other utility or boat trailers. If you use an adapter going from a 4-pin to your Scamp 7-pin, I believe your brake lights, turn signals, and side markers will work, but that is all. It won't charge your battery or run your trailer's fridge.

If you don't have a hitch, etrailer sells those as well. I recommend a Curt Class III hitch. It is much more robust than the Subaru hitch and mounts much sturdier IMO. You still have to abide by Subaru's 2,400 lb and 200 tongue weight limits however. If you'd like links to exactly what I ordered, I can PM you with that info. Good luck! Like I said earlier, I think you'll be happy with your tug and trailer combo. I am.

Tom
Old 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #28

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Drop in at a U-Haul or any other hitch shop.

Tags
brakes