Adding brakes - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #29

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
To cut down on some of the wiring, you could go with a radio frequency break controller. You then would have to run one wire from the tow vehicles battery to the 7 pin connector if you want to charge the trailer battery, which surely you would need to do if you want to run your refrigerator on 12 volts.
Check this site out.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P0ZA86/...l_41b0j57qmq_b

Dave & Paula

Old 01-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #30

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksimdjembe View Post
Oi. Just for the record: the place I dropped in on isn't my shop.

But as I explained, definitely got me scratching my head.

The fact that Subaru dealer will not run the brake line or install the seven pin harness for you is not just a Subaru issue. Most auto dealers do not do that work, they don't get enough request for it for their staff to be fully trained at it. They either send the car out to a local hitch shop or they advise the customer as you where to take it to a hitch shop themselves. The hitch shop are the experts on such installs not the auto dealers repair shop.

BTW even some of the other manufactures who sell their vehicles with what they call a tow package don't include the brake line in the install or a seven pin connections either - I believe the Ford Escape? may be an example of that. Many trucks unless ordered with the full tow package directly from the factory also don't come with the brake line/controller plug in already installed.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #31

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
My Toyota dealer brought in a hitch installer to do the hitch ( not a Toyota hitch ) and the wiring for trailer and brake controller. They did that to sell the vehicle.
I got a better hitch receiver and the wiring for $300 less than the Toyota original equipment receiver alone. I provided the brake controller.
I expect if I had already bought the RAV4 they would have sent me to the hitch installer.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:41 PM   #32

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Our Sienna was also sent to a hitch installer. We had the brake controller. They installed the hitch and the seven pin (we had to specify and double-check that they understood that, yes, we did want/need a seven pin connection). One thing they did not hook up was the battery charge line. When we took it back, they were surprised that we would want that!?!?
Old 01-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #33

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
One thing they did not hook up was the battery charge line. When we took it back, they were surprised that we would want that!?!?
LOL I actually know a couple of folks that has happened to. I do not get why either other than perhaps to keep the cost down. But from a practical use point it makes no sense.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL I actually know a couple of folks that has happened to. I do not get why either other than perhaps to keep the cost down. But from a practical use point it makes no sense.
Most likely the customer did not explain (specify) what the use would be.

If one said a 7-pin trailer connector to charge the trailer battery and use electric brakes, the work order should say that.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #35

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Wink Mea Culpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Most likely the customer did not explain (specify) what the use would be.

If one said a 7-pin trailer connector to charge the trailer battery and use electric brakes, the work order should say that.
You bring up a good point about being specific.
I (the customer) made the mistake of assuming that, if I ask for a seven pin and tell them that I am pulling a travel trailer, they will hook up all the wires. Otherwise, I would ask for a six pin. Of course, the instructions went from us to the dealership to the hitch company.
And, the hitch company made the assumption that I didn't need to have the battery charging line hooked up even though I ordered a seven pin connector.
The point here is that others, who may be in a similar situation, need to be aware of what to ask for and what to look for.
Together, we provide a great service to others in our community.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM   #36

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Lora.

Any bets on them having wired up the backup lights?

It's connected to the center round pin on the 7 pin connector and plug.

Joe
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #37

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Lora.

Any bets on them having wired up the backup lights?

It's connected to the center round pin on the 7 pin connector and plug.

Joe
Actually Joe that sounds more like a 6 pin connector or at least on a Scamp that would be the case. On a 7 pin connector the only wire connected to the center pin is the blue brake line.

Seven pin connector
Green (TM) - Tail Lights and Marker Lights

Red (LT)- Left Turn and Brake Light

Brown (RT) – Right turn and Brake Light

Black (S) – Interior 12 volt lights and Accessories

White (GD) – Ground
Y
Yellow (A) – Brake Lights (Foreign Stop) or Backup Lights

Blue – Electric Brakes
Attached Thumbnails
Wire Diagram Scamp.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #38

Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Those were connected!
Your question prompted me to do a little research. Good diagram here:
Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com
Question is: Are the pins always wired this way? How often do you see something other than 4 pin or 7 pin? Could you use a 6 pin if you just wanted back-up and brakes, but no battery charging?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #39

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Carol.

Look at Lora's link for the RV INDUSTRY STANDARD 7-WAY COLOR CODE.
You'll see the center one is labeled "AUX" and look up at the "Tradional 7 WAY COLOR CODE and you'll see it's listed for backup lights.
At least the Casita and Scamp NOW use the center round pin for backup lights.

Lora

I found this scamp link and if you watch the video he tells you the wire colors. E-trailer's RV standard 7 pin colors are followed exactly. My experience on 2 jeeps and one Silverado PU with factory installed 7 pin plugs the pin numbers and uses agree with E-Trailer's "RV Industry Standard 7 pin" designations also.
Owner's Manuals - Scamp Trailers

One caveat, He says all Scamp trailers now come with 7 pin connectors and did not mention as of when and or what sizes.

Joe
Old 01-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #40

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
This is the diagram Scamp sent us one year ago. We complied and everything worked. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #41

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Carol.

Look at Lora's link for the RV INDUSTRY STANDARD 7-WAY COLOR CODE.
You'll see the center one is labeled "AUX" and look up at the "Tradional 7 WAY COLOR CODE and you'll see it's listed for backup lights.
At least the Casita and Scamp NOW use the center round pin for backup lights.

Lora

I found this scamp link and if you watch the video he tells you the wire colors. E-trailer's RV standard 7 pin colors are followed exactly. My experience on 2 jeeps and one Silverado PU with factory installed 7 pin plugs the pin numbers and uses agree with E-Trailer's "RV Industry Standard 7 pin" designations also.
Owner's Manuals - Scamp Trailers

One caveat, He says all Scamp trailers now come with 7 pin connectors and did not mention as of when and or what sizes.

Joe

If you scroll down on the E-trailer link Lora provided you will see where it has photos under the heading "Heavy Duty Truck 7 Way" 4 photos - bottom Right - 7 way round inside diagram - is the same as my Scamp set up as well as the factory installed tow package with round 7 pin connection on my 3 year old Nissan truck. I did not need to change a thing on the truck when I first hooked up my trailer - all plug and play and worked as it should.

The diagram I posted is from the Scamp printed owners manual of 5 years ago and it shows the position of the wires in the plug as they did them then. If the new tail lights (when I say new I mean in VERY recent years) that Scamp is using lights with a separate back ups then your right they may have switched around the position of the wiring but I would be real surprised if they changed the position of the blue brake line from the center pin. For those with older combo lights then the wiring diagram I posted is how they were done right up until a few years ago (if they have in fact changed their wiring. The colors mentioned in the video are all the same functions as they are in that diagram I posted though.

Unfortunately although scamp says on their new on line videos of the manual you can download a PDF for all of it I can't seem to find one of the electrical... hummm.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #42

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
This is the diagram Scamp sent us one year ago. We complied and everything worked. Tom
Thanks Tom for sharing that! It just goes to show that despite what some say Scamp does change things around every so often!

Wonder what model year they switched it? As I said I have a hunch its pretty recent (last few years?) .... might be good for those purchasing used Scamps to know.

Tags
brakes