Adding brakes - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Carol.

Look at Lora's link for the RV INDUSTRY STANDARD 7-WAY COLOR CODE.
You'll see the center one is labeled "AUX" and look up at the "Tradional 7 WAY COLOR CODE and you'll see it's listed for backup lights.
At least the Casita and Scamp NOW use the center round pin for backup lights.

Lora

I found this scamp link and if you watch the video he tells you the wire colors. E-trailer's RV standard 7 pin colors are followed exactly. My experience on 2 jeeps and one Silverado PU with factory installed 7 pin plugs the pin numbers and uses agree with E-Trailer's "RV Industry Standard 7 pin" designations also.
Owner's Manuals - Scamp Trailers

One caveat, He says all Scamp trailers now come with 7 pin connectors and did not mention as of when and or what sizes.

Joe

If you scroll down on the E-trailer link Lora provided you will see where it has photos under the heading "Heavy Duty Truck 7 Way" 4 photos - bottom Right - 7 way round inside diagram - is the same as my Scamp set up as well as the factory installed tow package with round 7 pin connection on my 3 year old Nissan truck. I did not need to change a thing on the truck when I first hooked up my trailer - all plug and play and worked as it should.

The diagram I posted is from the Scamp printed owners manual of 5 years ago and it shows the position of the wires in the plug as they did them then. If the new tail lights (when I say new I mean in VERY recent years) that Scamp is using lights with a separate back ups then your right they may have switched around the position of the wiring but I would be real surprised if they changed the position of the blue brake line from the center pin. For those with older combo lights then the wiring diagram I posted is how they were done right up until a few years ago (if they have in fact changed their wiring. The colors mentioned in the video are all the same functions as they are in that diagram I posted though.

Unfortunately although scamp says on their new on line videos of the manual you can download a PDF for all of it I can't seem to find one of the electrical... hummm.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
This is the diagram Scamp sent us one year ago. We complied and everything worked. Tom
Thanks Tom for sharing that! It just goes to show that despite what some say Scamp does change things around every so often!

Wonder what model year they switched it? As I said I have a hunch its pretty recent (last few years?) .... might be good for those purchasing used Scamps to know.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #43

Name: Kenny
Trailer: '79 13' trillium
Ontario
I mentioned in the earlier posts that I have a 13' trillium, and am intending on keeping my Subaru forester.
Well...
I've now got a brake controller in the TV, and had a serious tune up, and some attention to brakes.
Summer is coming! Now to get that tongue weight down... How easy is this going to be...? I'm sitting about 15lbs over the recommend limit from Subaru.
Ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #44

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksimdjembe View Post
I mentioned in the earlier posts that I have a 13' trillium, and am intending on keeping my Subaru forester.
Well...
I've now got a brake controller in the TV, and had a serious tune up, and some attention to brakes.
Summer is coming! Now to get that tongue weight down... How easy is this going to be...? I'm sitting about 15lbs over the recommend limit from Subaru.
You'll be fine but you could put an extra case of beer behind the axle to counter the TW
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:36 AM   #45

Ontario
I figure I should be ok, I still have yet to mount the spare on the rear bumper (suggestions for spare mounts?) and I was toying with a small utility box or the like to relocate the battery, undecided as yet.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #46
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksimdjembe View Post

Kenny, there are some very astute towing pro's in Ontario who specialize in dealing with issues like yours. It is common to reinforce vehicle receivers to bring them in line with the rest of the vehicles capabilities. Check into the possibilities. In the end you will probably end up with the superior/safer TV/trailer combination.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #47

Ontario
So a funny thing happened today.
My dad and I headed out to bring my '79 trillium to Paul (mentioned in an earlier post) to have a few items looked at.

I'd mentioned earlier in the thread my leaning to have brakes added. I'd already had the brake controller put in the TV (march), but as we'd just picked up the trailer at the end of last year's camp season (october), towed it home without a brake controller, I'd never had the controller connected through round 7 yet. I travelled home just with a flat 4 adaptor for lights... Then it got cold, and I got busy, and I never really looked.

I was pretty excited to hear brakes engage at the end of the driveway!

Tags
brakes